Hi all, This will be great, as soon as they get a webOS version. Take care, Jay

May 10, 2010
Anttenna Creates a “Swap Meet in Your Pocket”
By KEVIN C. TOFEL of GigaOm

Anttenna Creates a “Swap Meet in Your Pocket” - NYTimes.com

Anttenna today launched a free, real-time iPhone application for consumer-to-consumer and business-to-consumer exchanges of goods and services. The location-aware application is similar to Twitter — users quickly create short “mobile micro-listings” of up to 140 characters of items wanted or for sale. Using this approach, an item or service is listed in just a few minutes, and appears immediately to other nearby Anttenna members. With the application, consumers can search a local map for listings, making Anttenna like a mash-up between Craigslist, Google Maps and Twitter. On an as-needed basis, I could easily see myself using such a simple solution when out and about.

Marcus Wandell, Anttenna’s co-founder and chief executive officer, explains the concept in today’s press release this way: “Anttenna is like a swap meet in your pocket…Anttenna fully leverages the smartphone platforms and new communications standards to give people a whole new way to use classified advertising.”

The concept of Anttenna was born out a scenario not unfamiliar to me: Wandell was at a a New York City music festival and as he wandered the event, found himself wishing the on-site vendors offered a method to send him information on their wares. His thought: Why not leverage the GPS and messaging capabilities of his smartphone for hyper-local, real-time information? Anttenna provides just that, although it requires users to be part of the Anttenna community.

The service doesn’t just facilitate listings of goods or services, however. A chat feature is included for buyers and sellers to quickly converse, ask questions of each other and finalize transaction details. The free application also provides directions between a user’s current location and the nearby items for sale. Wandell says that versions of the software are on the way for Android, BlackBerry and other mobile devices.