Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59
  1. kevank#AC's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
       #1  
    I really want to see the Hot Apps contest from Palm benefit the WebOS Homebrew Community. I have created the "I Love Homebrew" app and submitted it to the Web App Catalog. (I don't have the $50 bucks to submit it to the regular App Catalog.)

    This app does NOTHING but if we (I) win any of the prizes, I will donate the money to the Precentral/WebOS internals community. To be completely open, I figure I will have some tax liability and I will have to use a little of the funds to cover those costs. Other than that, the remaining funds will go straight to the WebOS Homebrew community.

    Here is the link to the app: Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE!

    Ok. I have revamped I Love Homebrew. Now it does something. It provides links to Getting Started articles, PreCentral and WebOS Internals.

    I would like to get this into the App Catalog but I need feedback before I submit it. Let me know what you think. I would also like to hear any concerns about submitting a pro-Homebrew application to the App Catalog. Are there any concerns?




    Kevan
    Last edited by kevank; 05/13/2010 at 12:34 AM.
  2. #2  
    how many downloads do you have?
  3. #3  
    0 as it's not in the App Catalog yet
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  4. #4  
    You know you can make this a paid app and charge $99 for it right? with 8 downloads you'd get $1000
  5. kevank#AC's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames101 View Post
    You know you can make this a paid app and charge $99 for it right? with 8 downloads you'd get $1000
    Do you get that we want to WIN money for the WebOS community? Not make people pay to show support?

    People can download this for free and if we get to the top of the Hot Apps list we can win between $10k and $100k for the community.

    Kevan
  6. #6  
    yah, but its not ethical, because the app does nothing, so you are not providing user any experience whats so ever, in another word, its fraud.

    It doesn't matter what your intention is, when it comes to app makers, the whole point is to provide users some experience.

    In another word, it would be a lot more ethical if you just have a picture asking for donation in the paid app channel.
  7. bdog421's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevank View Post
    I really want to see the Hot Apps contest from Palm benefit the WebOS Homebrew Community. I have created the "I Love Homebrew" app and submitted it to the Web App Catalog. (I don't have the $50 bucks to submit it to the regular App Catalog.)

    This app does NOTHING but if we (I) win any of the prizes, I will donate the money to the Precentral/WebOS internals community. To be completely open, I figure I will have some tax liability and I will have to use a little of the funds to cover those costs. Other than that, the remaining funds will go straight to the WebOS Homebrew community.

    Here is the link to the app: [url]

    It should be available for download soon.

    Kevan
    At least state these intensions in the app.
  8. #8  
    The intentions are stated in the app, if you look at the web page you can see.
    It's a good idea but it needs a little more. Maybe if you can polish up the app a little bit to add some functionality a few of us folks could stump up the 50 for submission to the app catologue.
  9. #9  
    If it were in the app catalog, and contained links to sites such is this one and webosinternals.org, it might increase homebrew visibility to people that don't know what homebrew is. Then it would be providing a service. Yeah, believe it or not, there are people that don't know about this site!
  10. kevank#AC's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    At least state these intensions in the app.
    They are stated in the catalog and in the application. Very clearly.

    K
  11. kevank#AC's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    If it were in the app catalog, and contained links to sites such is this one and webosinternals.org, it might increase homebrew visibility to people that don't know what homebrew is. Then it would be providing a service. Yeah, believe it or not, there are people that don't know about this site!
    There are links to Precentral and WebOS Internals in the app. This isn't the final version of the application. I will make improvements... I wanted to get something out ASAP and started accruing downloads.

    K
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevank View Post
    There are links to Precentral and WebOS Internals in the app. This isn't the final version of the application. I will make improvements... I wanted to get something out ASAP and started accruing downloads.

    K
    I think its great that somthing is finally out to get support. Will the updates include a new icon on the launcher page because at the moment its that ugly half crescent moon thing? Maybe chuck the penguin there?
  13. #13  
    does this need to be in the palm catalog to qualify?

    also, does the counter see the difference between first install and delete/reinstall?

    thx
  14. #14  
    perhaps a more descriptive title to pique curiousity of the average person who don't know what "homebrew" is or can do? But they are looking for good apps to download...
  15. #15  
    my question is do we have 16,349 people needed to meet the minimum threshold.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  16. #16  
    I think 20,000 is achievable we just need a lot of viral marketing for the app! We definitely need to get this into the app catologue because it spark some peoples curiosity. Are you able to download apps on store demos? If so I'm going to my local shops to get it on their pres.

    edit: can we also get a more positive desciption of the app in the web feed.
  17. #17  
    would be nice if app linked also to a thread which has profiles of all the devs that contributed to the homebrew community
  18. #18  
    It would also be good if we could get a small description of the app on the front page of preware, that way all users of preware will be made available of it. Are webOS internals able to do this?
  19. kevank#AC's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
       #19  
    I am at work. If someone wants to PM me or work on a better description I would be glad to use it.
  20. #20  
    So do we have a plan?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions