Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I am working to significantly improve the application. Probably won't put out an updated release until tomorrow or Wednesday. Thanks for the support.
    how about adding a link specifically to the latest preware, webinstall stickies and also to the getting started guide?

that way, when a new person asks how to get homebrew or what is preware, we can tell them to download this app and it will have the links to instructions (and also dev profiles)
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Ok. I have revamped I Love Homebrew. Now it does something. It provides links to Getting Started articles, PreCentral and WebOS Internals.

I would like to get this into the App Catalog but I need feedback before I submit it. Let me know what you think. I would also like to hear any concerns about submitting a pro-Homebrew application to the App Catalog. Are there any concerns?

I uploaded the new version to the Web Catalog about an hour ago. The update should show up in the Web Catalog soon.

K
    Quote Originally Posted by kevank View Post
    Ok. I have revamped I Love Homebrew. Now it does something. It provides links to Getting Started articles, PreCentral and WebOS Internals.

I would like to get this into the App Catalog but I need feedback before I submit it. Let me know what you think. I would also like to hear any concerns about submitting a pro-Homebrew application to the App Catalog. Are there any concerns?

[IMG]

I uploaded the new version to the Web Catalog about an hour ago. The update should show up in the Web Catalog soon.

K
    One small point, 'Preware' has a lower case 'w' not an upper case letter.

Which Preware instructions are you pointing to? Obsolete instructions may still refer to the no longer existing Package Manager Service.
    -- Rod
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Ok. I fixed the case issue with Preware. I will push another release with the update later today. Thanks for pointing that out. The how to for installing Preware is from the WebOS Internals wiki. Here is the URL:

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:Preware#Installing_Preware"

Any thoughts on putting this in the App in the official app catalog?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    ok. I submitted this to the App Catalog. Will be interesting to see what the reviewers say about the application.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Anyone have any feedback on the direction I am taking? I would love to make this work and have the communities support. How can I get the community behind this?
    I'm with you, it's a great idea and I don,t see why it would not be approved.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    We hit 1600 downloads today!

K
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Ok "I Love Homebrew" is on the Hot Apps fastest movers list! Here is the link to the list:

Palm Hot Apps

Here is the link to the apps page:

Palm Hot Apps

We are no where near the top but clearly on the rise.

I hope we make the official app catalog next week... until then, please spread the word.
    I noticed earlier that we were on the rise, this is a good sign.
    Not trying to burst the dream, but it will require a lot more downloads then just people on the forums to make it into the 10,000$ mark.

I have an app that is doing 1-4k downloads a day and is well over 50k downloads and I'm only in 143rd place. I'm not trying to deflate the dream of winning 10k but it's going to be tough. As for the 100k that's just impossible. Pandora is more well known then almost every other app in the app catalog. I was surprised to see helicopter game hold on for as long as it did.

Good luck and I will download just to help the cause.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I agree 100k seems unobtainable but a 1k prize would be nice for the community and bring awareness of the cause. Hopefully we will make it into the Official App Catalog next week and we will see the #s climb.
    I am optimistic that we can do it as there are thousands of members on precentral. I'm wondering if it would make it more useful to add a link to the palm pre "tips" guide?
    It might also be good to start a thread on "meet the homebrew devs" and link to it in the app, (let me know if you want me to start this thread).
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I am optimistic that we can do it as there are thousands of members on precentral. I'm wondering if it would make it more useful to add a link to the palm pre "tips" guide?
    It might also be good to start a thread on "meet the homebrew devs" and link to it in the app, (let me know if you want me to start this thread).
    Something like this is a good idea. Or maybe a welcome to homebrew thread for people who do not know what it is but have just downloaded the app.
    What do we think?
    I think this app is cool because it has links to important threads for people new to homerew.

Question, dows the "hot100" count each download/install, or just one per profile? If I delete and re-install, does that count as another download?

Even more important, does uninstalling an app remove the count from that list. If I remove any app from my phone, does the hot100 deduct 1 from the total it uses for ranking?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames101 View Post
    You know you can make this a paid app and charge $99 for it right? with 8 downloads you'd get $1000
    8 x $99 = $792.

I'm thinking you need a calculator app.
    Downloaded. I think you should start with the definition of Homebrew on the main page. If I didn't kind of trip over it when I came to Pre|Central, I wouldn't know the term or what it meant.

Just saying "Homebrew" means nothing to most people.

Don't start by saying you want to win something, it makes the app feel... well, selfish. You explain yourself in later sentences, but I doubt most people will even bother with reading the whole thing after seeing "I hope to win (lots of money)". With thousands of apps, if you don't get me in the first sentence I just move on.

Maybe start with, "What are Homebrew apps? Homebrew apps are..." And then, after you explain it you can announce that your ap is there to bring awareness, and at the very end explain that your support of our app is going directly to the support of the Homebrew community... etc."

Maybe if you start by giving the definition of Homebrew, some of the more popular patches and apps, and perhaps a Homebrew FAQ page baked right into your app.

I know you're doing this for free on your spare time, I just think it could use a little more work to clarify to people that it's about "Us", and "We", not "Me", or "I". Let people in on what Homebrew, the word itself, actually means, and what it could do for them ("in a few easy steps").

And remember, you're making the app for THEM, not us. We already know what Homebrew is. Make the app for people that don't.

Just a few thoughts.
    Jahooba's feedback makes sense to me. Could the title be altered to Homebrew-- How to get cool apps (for free)?

In the text you can clarify what are Homebrew Apps and also that you can make a small donation if you like for the developer's hard work and talent.

tried to get to the palmhotapps link and it did not work.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Downloaded. I think you should start with the definition of Homebrew on the main page. If I didn't kind of trip over it when I came to Pre|Central, I wouldn't know the term or what it meant.

Just saying "Homebrew" means nothing to most people.

Don't start by saying you want to win something, it makes the app feel... well, selfish. You explain yourself in later sentences, but I doubt most people will even bother with reading the whole thing after seeing "I hope to win (lots of money)". With thousands of apps, if you don't get me in the first sentence I just move on.

Maybe start with, "What are Homebrew apps? Homebrew apps are..." And then, after you explain it you can announce that your ap is there to bring awareness, and at the very end explain that your support of our app is going directly to the support of the Homebrew community... etc."

Maybe if you start by giving the definition of Homebrew, some of the more popular patches and apps, and perhaps a Homebrew FAQ page baked right into your app.

I know you're doing this for free on your spare time, I just think it could use a little more work to clarify to people that it's about "Us", and "We", not "Me", or "I". Let people in on what Homebrew, the word itself, actually means, and what it could do for them ("in a few easy steps").

And remember, you're making the app for THEM, not us. We already know what Homebrew is. Make the app for people that don't.

Just a few thoughts.
    I am open to all ideas... I am just not much of a writer. If someone puts together some text and if we agree that it is good, I will update it.

K
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast