1.    #1  
    just wanted to ask and say if we would be seeing a application made that had only animated backgrounds to download, anyone heard anything about such.
    no that's a good idea
    +1
    the pre is incapable of animated backgrounds as of now. the possibility might come in future updates.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetnessinfall View Post
    the pre is incapable of animated backgrounds as of now. the possibility might come in future updates.
    actully the pre was fully capable of running background animations when it launched. Background animation is just a Javascript program, and the coding on it is nothing major at all. Why do you think the old window mobile 5,6 phones, and some older nokia phones where able to do it. All it requires is someone developing the application where is the backgrounds offered run the required script.
    There are animated .png files starting to hit the scene. Hopefully someone will figure out how to use them as wallpaper. The ones I've seen look really good and load in most any browser. If they'll load in most browsers, why not in a web based OS? Just sayin.
    The Saint
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    There are animated .png files starting to hit the scene. Hopefully someone will figure out how to use them as wallpaper. The ones I've seen look really good and load in most any browser. If they'll load in most browsers, why not in a web based OS? Just sayin.
    exactly thats the reason I added this request. Its a easy program to write, because it uses the basic of a Javascript (i wish I had the equipment id try to write it myself). I remeber having a htc touch the first version and had ani mated backgrounds on it. The instruments needed to do so are in every phone nowadays, so thats why when the nexus one came out with it again it wasent a big deal to people who has had windows phones for years, its nothing new.

as you can see here for win mo 6.1

Animated Today 4 - pocket pc animated themes player
    problem is since we don't have GPU accelarated graphics, the animation would be stuttery.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    problem is since we don't have GPU accelarated graphics, the animation would be stuttery.

but I thought the GPU has been implemented into programs, just not the OS. The reason why we have applications like aniweather with moving animation, or accuweather, or the program with the bouncing women those all use the GPU to create animations, maybe I'm wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    but I thought the GPU has been implemented into programs, just not the OS. The reason why we have applications like aniweather with moving animation, or accuweather, or the program with the bouncing women those all use the GPU to create animations, maybe I'm wrong?
    Yes, Apps have access to the GPU but WebOS UI doesn't. The background isn't an app.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    simply put, non-PDK apps do not have access to the GPU, that doesnt mean we cant make animations, it means the animation use the same chip as all other things running at the same time, so say you have a nonPDK game playing doing all sorts of calculations, and "garbage collection", and your trying to animate a graphic, somethings gotta give, and the animation stutters.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Yes, Apps have access to the GPU but WebOS UI doesn't. The background isn't an app.
    oh ok, but cant an application be developed like windows mobile did years ago, with the code written for animated backgrounds?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    simply put, non-PDK apps do not have access to the GPU, that doesnt mean we cant make animations, it means the animation use the same chip as all other things running at the same time, so say you have a nonPDK game playing doing all sorts of calculations, and "garbage collection", and your trying to animate a graphic, somethings gotta give, and the animation stutters.

oh I understand, then how come windows mobile has had this kind of technology for years, without the specifications that these phones have today?
  14.    #14  
    also so I assume that the droid utilizes the GPU in the OS, since with a couple of people I know with the a hacked 2.1 version they have animated backgrounds, and dont they have the same chipset as the pre?
    Off the top of my head, a quick fix would be something along the lines of that "clear card" app where you are just making a card with an animated picture. I'd imagine it would eat up power though, unless you had some sort of a monitor that would only animate the background while you had it A) as the active card and B) had the screen on. It would be easy enough to make a PNG image and animate it by adjustng the background position.

EDIT: Hell you could even add some icons at the bottom to pull up the standard things... Phone, calendar, etc...
    The closest thing you can get to animated backgrounds is an app that fakes the UI. There is no way to actually set an app as the background, not even through a patch (as far as I can tell, and I did a lot of digging)

It isn't a matter of GPU vs no GPU-- we can't even set an app to stick behind the cards.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    The closest thing you can get to animated backgrounds is an app that fakes the UI. There is no way to actually set an app as the background, not even through a patch (as far as I can tell, and I did a lot of digging)

It isn't a matter of GPU vs no GPU-- we can't even set an app to stick behind the cards.
    oh ok so I guess thats the problem huh, hopefully someone will figure it out. They even released today a patch to enable us to keep watching videos while minimizing the card. I sure someone can figure it out, well I guess we will have to wait and see thanks for all the responses I appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    The closest thing you can get to animated backgrounds is an app that fakes the UI. There is no way to actually set an app as the background, not even through a patch
    it would be interesting to explore this - i know a lot of people who download the effektz demo:

Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

would like to have it in the background, you could look at patching LunaSysMgr, which is actually the launcher - and then integrate it into the background/drawing process. it would suck a bunch of CPU resources, but would be cool
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Mobile 1UP, http://www.mobile1up.com/
    Caveman, Caveman HD (touchpad), Cronk and GW Series available on web OS