Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Hi the new Squeeze Control app looks pretty cool. It's supposed to allow you to control your Logitech Squeezebox home music player via your Pre.

This seems sort of cool, since the Pre is still lacking a really good program for playing music over your home stereo.

I'm wondering if I can use this program to play music without using a squeezebox, duet, or other hardware? I used to have a squeezebox set up, but now I just have an old laptop I keep hooked up to my tv and stereo.

It looks like Squeezeplay is a successor program to Softsqueeze that might allow a PC to emulate a squeezebox. I wonder if this new App Squeeze Control could be set to control a home music server that has Squeezeplay installed?

I'd love to use Squeeze Control to help me play my music, but I'm not sure I'm willing to dig out and set up my ancient old-school squeezebox to make that happen.

So, can I use Squeeze Control to play music without a Squeezebox/Duet? Thanks for any help or ideas.
    I've already emailed this to the thread creator, but I figure others would want to see an answer too:

Yes, you should be able to control SqueezePlay. When it's connected to a server it should act like just another player, but it definitely has to be connected to a squeezebox server for my app to work. If you want to be sure, just start up SqueezePlay and connect it to a squeezebox server. If you can see squeezeplay in the server's web interface, SqueezeControl can see it.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    It's a real shame that there is no free version. I'd like to try this before shelling out 5 bucks. I think mobile apps should ALWAYS have a free version. Do you have plans for releasing one?
    It's not really an app where I can make a stripped down free version. The way this app works (and also how the SqueezeBox Controller works) is to retrieve all the menus and commands from the server. It basically is like a terminal for the server. So you either get every function the server offers or none. I would have to put in extra code to limit functionality.

The only stripped down app I can imagine doing for this is a something that will only allow you to play and skip tracks and control the volume, or maybe an app that will let you go thru all the menus but won't actually let you play anything, but neither will really be useful for demoing the real app.

I would like to be able to offer a time limited trial, but Palm doesn't really give developers a way to do that.

Maybe if enough people complain to Palm they'll figure something out.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Darn... I was going to suggest a time-limited app. $5 is not a lot of money, but it is a lot for an app, especially one to purchase blindly. Unfortunately I don't think there is any kind of rebate mechanism with the app store, is there?

I'd also like to point out that while trying to diagnose my GPS issues (Verizon) I downloaded the free version of your GPS app, which is polished and works well. This app looks just as polished and I don't doubt that it works well (I've been on the squeezebox forums for a long time and understand how the different components interact via the server). So, it's nothing against you personally. I just generally take issue with "buy before you try." I realize this is kind of beyond your control.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    OK, so less than 5 minutes after posting above, I decided that I'd skip breakfast tomorrow to save a few bucks and make myself feel better about getting this app.

Holy crap. It's awesome!! Best app I've gotten (free or otherwise) so far. I would have paid double for this, seriously. If I knew anyone else with a squeezebox, I'd recommend it.

My ONLY two suggestions, and they're about as minor as they come (the app works flawlessly in my quick test):

1) Make some way to change the background (or can you tell me the path to the background?). I like it, but I have some pics I'd like to use.
    2) Display the current volume as a number when changing it. For some reason I like to know what "level" it's at.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Wow--thanks, Wayne for answering my question so quickly via email, and also here on Precentral.

Just bought the app and installed Squeezeserver and Squeezplay. It took a little while (Squeezeserver always seems to give me a little trouble), but now everything seems to work, and I'm amazed at how well I'm able to browse and play selections from my music collection. Great for controlling the stereo in my small apartment.

Speebs wrote,"If I knew anyone else with a squeezebox, I'd recommend it." However, you don't even need a squeezebox to use this. You can just use install Squeezeplay and run a "virtual" squeezebox on a computer.

I haven't had much time to play with the app yet, but it looks very polished (despite some of the buttons being very close together) and it works like a charm, so far. I'd forgotten how great Squeezecenter's web radio browser is, too (though BBC World Service is still messed up...).

Anyway, in the long run, I'd also like to be able to stream my music to my Pre when I'm away from home, also. I'm hoping to see elegant squeezeserver/ampache solutions for listening to music both at and away from home. Maybe an idea for another app?

Thanks for making a great app. If I were you I might try to make it clearer that it can be used to play music at home, even without a physical Squeezebox.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    By the way, for anyone wanting to install Squeezebox Server and SqueezePlay, here's the link I used to get these:

Squeezebox Software Beta Downloads
    Changing backgrounds is something I want to add at some point, but probably v2.0 since there are some other UI things I want to change too.

Volume display was just something I cut to get a v1.0 finished and out the door. I'll definitely add that at some point, but right now I'm trying to get auto server discovery working for the PDK release.

Streaming to the Pre is something I want too, and at first I was hoping to use the mp3 stream from the server, but the pre's music player doesn't seem to like the stream. Hopefully palm will fix that or somebody releases a better music player.

A simple streaming audio app/feature should be doable with the PDK, but it's not really my expertise so it's gonna be further down the road.
    Cool, I didn't find this thread til I already boughtthe app and tried the Squeeze play move. The only one wish that is not an app issue but rather a squeeze play issue, Is I want to control Pandora, Rhapsody and Napster from my pre... dang
    App is beautiful though
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Cool, I didn't find this thread til I already boughtthe app and tried the Squeeze play move. The only one wish that is not an app issue but rather a squeeze play issue, Is I want to control Pandora, Rhapsody and Napster from my pre... dang
    App is beautiful though
    Not sure what you mean. I can definitely control Pandora and Last.fm via Squeeze Control. Not sure about Napster and Rhapsody, as I don't use those.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post

Anyway, in the long run, I'd also like to be able to stream my music to my Pre when I'm away from home, also. I'm hoping to see elegant squeezeserver/ampache solutions for listening to music both at and away from home. Maybe an idea for another app?
    What I have is all my music on one server, running both ampache and squeezeserver. Both of them are linked to last.fm as well and they scrobble very well (much better then grooveshark, I'd like to add)

So that way I have the exact same music local over squeeze and remote w/ ampache. I spend 5h+/day listening to music this way.
    Only real annoyance is having to run rescan on both separately when I add new music. I'm still investigating connecting Squeezebox to remote libraries since I spend a fair amount of time in Hotels and want to bring along my Squeezebox Radio.

Thank you Wayne, again, for making Squeeze Control. I use it all the time, one of the last reasons I still grabbed my 1st gen iphone. Glad to see it completely retired now.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post
    Speebs wrote,"If I knew anyone else with a squeezebox, I'd recommend it." However, you don't even need a squeezebox to use this. You can just use install Squeezeplay and run a "virtual" squeezebox on a computer.
    Great information here.

Hopfrog--please explain how to run a "virtual" squeezebox?

I'm thinking about buying Audioengine 5 powered speakers and then plugging their Audioengine W1 wireless audio adapter into my iMac. This solution would let me use my Pre to control all my audio that's on my computer and stream it to my powered speakers.

Thanks!
    You'll need to run a software squeezebox player on your iMac. The one i'd recommend is SqueezePlay. You can find a pre-packaged version here:

Squeezebox Software Beta Downloads - Version 7.5

This is basically the same software that runs on the newer hardware Squeezeboxes.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Fantastic! It worked.

I can play my iTunes songs no problem, but even though I'm able to log on with Pandora, choose a song there is no sound through my computer, nor does it seem to play the song through. The album art shows but nothing plays. It's strange since my music and traditional Internet radio play with no problem. This is the log I get -

7/27/10 8:44:34 PM [0x0-0x46a46a].Softsqueeze[40606] 653987 [AudioDecoder-6] WARN javasound.verbose - audioDecoder did not write (0) the same number of bytes as read (4608)

I have no idea what this means. Any suggestions would be great.

Also, if I download your software on two Palm pres can they both communicate with on computer?

Great app!
    Since you can log on to Pandora, I assume that you already have a MySqueezebox.com account, so that can't be the problem. The log entry seems to indicate that the software player can't decode the music stream.

Try Pandora again later, sometimes the streams from Pandora or Rhapsody seem to get corrupted or cutoff for no reason.

Yes multiple Pre's with Squeeze Control can communicate with the same server at the same time.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Thanks for the quick responses.

I'm using a virtual squeezebox server, not the mysqueezebox. And Slaker works.

Hmmm
    Are you using the Squeezebox Server software from Logitech or is there some other server available? If you are using Squeezebox Server, you still need to have a MySqueezebox.com account for Pandora to work.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    I am using the Squeezebox Server from Logitech along with Softsqueeze. I do have a mysqueezebox account and pandora still doesn't work. I can use your software without the mysqueezebox, but it's the same. The error I get on my phone now tells me I don't have a registered Pandora account on my pre, even though it identifies it on the mysqueezebox website.

I'm trying all different kinds of work arounds, but nothing yet.

You've got a great software software, especially for those of us who have a hi fidelity system we want to control remotely using our pre. I end up have one remote, my phone, without being limited to iTunes.
    I just want to make sure, but did you enter your MySqueezebox credentials into the settings of Squeezebox Server and did you provide your Pandora credentials to your MySqueezebox account? I think when you go through the process of adding the Pandora app in Squeeze Control and it asks for your Pandora credentials, that info should be added to MySb automatically, but you should check that it went through. If everything is working correctly, Squeeze Control doesn't need to be connected to MySb at the same time as your local server to use Pandora. Squeezebox Server logs in to MySb by itself which then handles logging into Pandora.

Does Pandora work when you use the SqueezePlay interface directly?
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast