Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I'm just starting to run, and I'm looking at the various apps that use GPS to track distance. I've found four of them: SmartRunner, FitTrack, Old HB FitTrack (which looks similar to FitTrack), and PreTracker. There may be others as well.

For the moment, my routine involves running and walking alternately (running for a minute, walking for a couple of minutes, and then running again). So I'd like to see the time or a stopwatch on the main screen so I can time each segment.

Ideally, I'd also like to measure my pace for each segment separately (meaning I'd hit a reset button at the start of each segment); however, this is a nice-to-have, not a requirement.

Any feedback on these apps? Which one is the best for my needs?

Also, I'm on Verizon. Will the GPS issues on Verizon make these apps useless for tracking my distance and route?

Thanks!
    conmigo
    I am the developer of FitTrack so of course I think my app would work well for you.

You can use FitTrack to measure the various segments of your run/walk and it will tell you your average pace along with other stats. The main screen is customizable so you can choose which four stats you want to see on the main screen.

You may have issues with Verizon but I have updated the app to use Palm's "workaround" to help the GPS not to fail out completely.

If you have any trouble with the app you can email me from the app as well. I am a runner and I use my app all the time. A couple weeks ago I ran a half marathon with FitTrack and it worked great and kept up for the 2 hours and 15 minutes I was running.
    Do any of these apps integrate with web-based portals to support medium and long-term workout monitoring? (charts, graphs, calendars, weight, goals, etc...).

I'm a long time user of mapmyrun.com (and the website is a bit convoluted and messy), but I know they do not have a webos application right now.
    I have used them all and always come back to jogstats. I use it everday and it is very acurate. Tried fit track,,very slow and in acurate,,sorry,,thats how it was for me. But jogstats has been great.
    has charts and graphs also
    I would be curious what version of FitTrack you were running. The slowness and inaccuracy of the GPS does not come down to the app but the GPS service on the phone. No developer can control these factors and there is actually very little you can do.

I am continuing to develop so over time I think I might be able to change you mind.
    Try Pickup Sports if you are looking partners for running.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I used to have a ton of trouble with all the GPS apps but with the more recent updates they seem much more solid. Smart runner works good for me. Allows for several different types of tracking (run,walk, bike, etc) and uploads to a site for long term tracking and it's all free. I'm not a hard core anything though so it may be a bit feature light but for free you may as well try it.
    20 years ago when I was into running, I just ran around the neighborhood. lol, how times have changed.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
    I'm just starting to run, and I'm looking at the various apps that use GPS to track distance. I've found four of them: SmartRunner, FitTrack, Old HB FitTrack (which looks similar to FitTrack), and PreTracker. There may be others as well.

For the moment, my routine involves running and walking alternately (running for a minute, walking for a couple of minutes, and then running again). So I'd like to see the time or a stopwatch on the main screen so I can time each segment.

Ideally, I'd also like to measure my pace for each segment separately (meaning I'd hit a reset button at the start of each segment); however, this is a nice-to-have, not a requirement.

Any feedback on these apps? Which one is the best for my needs?

Also, I'm on Verizon. Will the GPS issues on Verizon make these apps useless for tracking my distance and route?

Thanks!

Recently, Nike+ is most popular apps for running around.
    it's simple to use and well made application for every runners.
    but, once you use it, you may want to buy a sensor which is consumable and expensive than you think.

you may want to buy a nike sensor and a new nike shoes

for your purpose, I recommend you to use runmatelite, endomondo and runkeeper first.
    endomondo and runkeeper are quite simple User Interface that is really easy to use than the other applications on app store.

runmategps, this looks quite fit to you more than the others as it shows pace record.
    see below link that someones work-out record on the internet.

RunMateMashup

it shows every data you are looking for.
    for more data example? search "runmategps" keyword at Twitter.

you can share your activities with friends via e-mail, twitter, facebook and mash-up posting features. not now but, the time will come that the function you need when you meet some level.

of course, most apps show pace record and most of them can be managed pace design recently. so, I think it's not the problem what kind of application you have to use.
    just install and run and run and run... this is really what you need!
    Last edited by gigabite; 11/04/2011 at 03:03 AM.