Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Okay, Smiles 1.0.1 has been submitted. It fixes the problem above by automatically creating that folder. As odd as it sounds, that folder should be the root of all crashing and memory problems reported. But until it's approved, do follow the instructions above.

To note, I did not update the version number on the About (?) screen. To verify your version, you need to go to "Device Info" (your 3rd page of apps), "More Info", and "Software". I was hoping to get it in soon enough that it can be approved today, so we'll see.
    Last edited by PoVRAZOR; 05/04/2010 at 05:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoVRAZOR View Post
    Okay, confirmed.

So until I can get 1.0.1 in the Catalog, I'd suggest everyone do the following, so you don't run in to any issues.

Workaround for Smiles 1.0.0
    (Not required for Smiles 1.0.1 and newer)

1. connect your Pre to a computer.
    2. touch the "USB Drive" button on the Pre
    3. on your computer, check if there's a folder called "appdata" on the Pre
    4a. if the folder exists, you're fine
    4b. if the folder doesn't exist, create it. "appdata", all lower case.
    5. Done. Disconnect your device and you're ready to play.

Smiles 1.0.1 and newer will do this automatically. Anyone running webOS 1.4.1.1 (or better) shouldn't have this problem. This is just a temporary workaround until I can get 1.0.1 in to the Catalog.
    Thanks for this workaround. It's simple, quick, and completely solves the issue. I was having trouble with the app crashing, but now the game is working perfectly. I'm off to update my review in the app catalog, which will be five stars -- not only for this great game, but for the quick response of the developers to resolve this issue.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I was finally able to buy it a few days ago. Great game, can't wait for the update to hit the catalog.
    Hopefully it gets approved by the end of the day. It's a shame we've had to go nearly the week with the workaround.
    [ Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike on Twitter | Blog ]
    Smiles [Drop Video, Zen Video] the award winning puzzle game is now on webOS 1.4.0+ (PDK)
    Now Available: Smiles Zen and Smiles Drop (standalone) with Pixi support! (1.4.5+ only)
    Okay, 1.0.1 should now be available. No more silly workaround.
    Smiles [Drop Video, Zen Video] the award winning puzzle game is now on webOS 1.4.0+ (PDK)
    Now Available: Smiles Zen and Smiles Drop (standalone) with Pixi support! (1.4.5+ only)
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Okay, Smiles 1.0.1 has been submitted. It fixes the problem above by automatically creating that folder. As odd as it sounds, that folder should be the root of all crashing and memory problems reported. But until it's approved, do follow the instructions above.
    oops well, the good news is that all the mobile 1up applications created this directory as well, so if you installed effektz or purchased one of our games, you wouldn't have the issue on with smiles. i guess a side effect of being one of the first applications?
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Mobile 1UP, http://www.mobile1up.com/
    Caveman, Caveman HD (touchpad), Cronk and GW Series available on web OS
    Yep. James and I tracked the application specific directory one down in Ancient Frog, so we fixed that for us both, but we both neglected to create the appdata directory. That worked fine for James (Frog just couldn't save), but me it caused a crash. Oh well, ancient history now.
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    I've tried to buy it multiple times and I keep getting a "Purchase Failed" message every time.
    Why would they want to buy it? Not very interesting. Doesn't look like very many people have downloaded it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Doesn't look like very many people have downloaded it.
    Yes, there were problems with the store the first 2 days it was out, plus the bug mentioned on the prior page (now fixed). A bit of a rough start.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Doesn't look like very many people have downloaded it.
    as a developer - we cannot expect the same "boom" that happened on the iphone - nor the download counts that the iphone market place has. so far, our games have been purchased, slowly but surely. it really depends on a number of factors

- price
    - quality of the title
    - publicity/visibility
    - user reviews

we, as developers, can control the first two factors. $4.99 may be a little pricy, but i remember selling games for much more back in the original Palm OS days - we kept the same pricing on our palm pre applications that we have on the iphone.

publicity, is key. we got lucky being one of the first developers to get titles out, and we've been actively talking at events, with websites and assisting with the push out. user reviews are also important - but not everyone understands what goes into development or the title just does not fit the users niche/expectations

i look forward to the platform growing and being more successful, worst case; the developers only have to make back $50 - the submission fee for applications and have a passion for doing this. thats our attitude. users buying our games mean we can go to conferences, events and interact with other developers and hopefully meet some of our users. taxes kill you in the end
    // Aaron Ardiri
    For me, $4.99 is an OK price for a good game app (I've donated more than that to good homebrew developers), but unless there's a demo app or lots of glowing reviews, I'm hesitant to plunk down that money.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    More people need to buy this game - it's awesome.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    For me, $4.99 is an OK price for a good game app (I've donated more than that to good homebrew developers), but unless there's a demo app or lots of glowing reviews, I'm hesitant to plunk down that money.
    the issue with providing trials is that you end up spending $100 to submit two versions; one paid and one free to the catalog. we hope to solve this issue by at least having desktop versions on our website with trial versions however, you are 100% right - you want to feel it on the device first.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Smiles is my favorite application that I have purchased for my Pre, and one of the best mobile applications that I have ever purchased period. I play the hell out of it.

You did fantastic work on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    More people need to buy this game - it's awesome.
    I agree, but I might be biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins
    Smiles is my favorite application that I have purchased for my Pre, and one of the best mobile applications that I have ever purchased period. I play the hell out of it.

You did fantastic work on this.
    Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ardiri
    the issue with providing trials is that you end up spending $100 to submit two versions; one paid and one free to the catalog.
    Indeed. Palm/webOS is a new market for the 3 of us (Ardiri, James and myself). I think we might be the first 3 indies allowed in with the early PDK, so we don't know yet if throwing down another $50 to get a trial/lite/demo in will help. Heh, we don't know anything about the market really, but from what I've seen so far it's encouraging.
    Heh, we don't know anything about the market really, but from what I've seen so far it's encouraging.
    Being that rarest of creatures - a New Zealand PrPrPr&#$275$; $owner$ - $I$ $can$'$t$ $even$ see the market. But it's such an awesome device to develop for.
    Oh God this game is ruining my life.
    What a fantastic crisply made game!
    The new update fixed a lot that was wrong, this game is a must download if you love Bejewled type games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Well, since now there ARE lots of glowing reviews, I may just have to spring for it!
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient James View Post
    Being that rarest of creatures - a New Zealand PrPrPr&#$275$; $owner$ - $I$ $can$'$t$ $even$ see the market. But it's such an awesome device to develop for.
    heh.. i'm the australian-swede how is that?
    // Aaron Ardiri
    I just bought it, it's pretty fun! Most match three games I play, you just match three and more blocks come down. But this one you have to swap tiles which actually makes a world of difference for me because I tend to find match three games boring and I hate them, including Bejeweled. The one I've played the longest is Aurora Feint and that's because it had an RPG element and blocks game up, but then the developers kind of got stupid with the app, sooo....I stopped caring. This is bringing those feelings back again. There are three games modes, my favorite is the first one where you have to light up the board. Definitely 5 stars from me. Also, I hadn't realized that you could keep switching tiles while the blocks were dropping - that also makes it more fun.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12