1.    #1  
    I have been trying to create an app that with the press of a button can sends commands to a device on my network via wifi on a specific port.

Is this allowed?

What would the function look like?

So far I have something like:

socket = new Socket('192.168.1.100', '8080');
    out.println("press home");

Is this correct? I can telnet to the device from cmd and no login required just simply type the command and its done. How would this be accomplished in a webos device?
    Last edited by chongorecords; 05/19/2010 at 07:52 PM.
  2. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I have been hoping for a telnet app. Very useful to be in a suite with other basic tools like tracert and ping for remotely support over the wifi and 3g connection. Figuring the community here would have created that by now.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    I have been hoping for a telnet app. Very useful to be in a suite with other basic tools like tracert and ping for remotely support over the wifi and 3g connection. Figuring the community here would have created that by now.
    You can run telnet and ping from within Terminal. No tracert though.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Quote Originally Posted by chongorecords View Post
    I have been trying to create an app that with the press of a button can sends commands to a device on my network via wifi on a specific port.

Is this allowed?

What would the function look like?

So far I have something like:

socket = new Socket('192.168.1.100', '8080');
    out.println("press home");

Is this correct? I can telnet to the device from cmd and no login required just simply type the command and its done. How would this be accomplished in a webos device?
    You need to write a service for this, last I checked. Your mojo app then talks to the service. Kludgy. We need direct socket APIs. I haven't delved into development yet, but the first app I wanted to write (roku soundbridge control) needed this, and I didn't find it, so I never really got started.

This should be discussed in the development board.
    : (){:|:&};:
  5. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    You can run telnet and ping from within Terminal. No tracert though.
    Thanks, I just found that openSSH has the ability to do this, thought it was just SSH. But no apps for telnet yet? Looking for an easier way to do this.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Hopefully, support for hybrid PDK apps (webOS GUI + compiled code) will be available soon. This should allow apps like telnet, ftp, etc. That is, as long as the APIs allow it.
  7.    #7  
    Thats what I am waiting for. Didn't palm send out an email saying in 2 to 3 weeks we would see an update? hasn't it been 4 to 8 since the email? I hope something in this areaof the update to get me going will help. I am working on my Roku remote. not a soundbridge model but something to handle the XR and under models.
    I would be interested to hear if this would work. I have been thinking about making a remote app for mythtv which has a nice telnet interface built in.
    I just found this post on Palm's official forum. Seems like telnet (and sockets in general should be very doable with the PDK).

Forums webOS • View topic - Trying to understand current PDK capabilities...