Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    When I am under a station where do I select to shuffle all the songs rather than always playing in order?
    love the app! I have about 500GB Of mp3s....hope that's not abusive

issues
    -no shuffle in player
    -media explorer on PC not sorting, it's there but not activated(?)
    -login everytime a PITA
    -importer doesn't handle large size folders at once, but pretty good tho oerall
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I have tried downloading the app from the catalog, but I recieve a message that "This is a not a valid webOS application." ???
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    love the app! I have about 500GB Of mp3s....hope that's not abusive
    You've uploaded all 500 GB to their server? For free? If true, I will have to look into this as an alternative to Ampache Mobile once they add shuffle.
    Yeahhhhhh, not sure you should expect to maintain .5TB on a free server.

Some Observations:
    No Shuffle
    Have to log in every time I launch the app
    Login screen remains after I log in
    Layout is a bit plain when I log in, I do like the simplicity of the app, but would be nice if it was a bit more colorful
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swolf76 View Post
    I have tried downloading the app from the catalog, but I recieve a message that "This is a not a valid webOS application." ???
    Issues with the app cat today:

Twitter / Palm webOSdev:
    I have not uploaded 500gb....i had trouble getting ampache server setup...this much more simple
    We appreciate everyone trying the app and letting us know their feedback. We are keeping the invite requests open to whomever wants to try our music service and music app for the Palm Pre. However, due to all the invite requests, we have decided to limit the amount of song uploads to 500 songs in our BETA phase.

We are going to implement the login request so that users will not have to relogin everytime in the app.
    We will also add the shuffle request in a soon future release.

If you are trying to download the app, but get an error that it is not available or not a
    valid Webos application, this is due to problems within Palm's app distribution. Palm knows about the issue and are currently working on it. Hopefully, the issue will be resolved from Palm soon.

We are trying to build a really great music service as well music app for the Palm Community. Thanks again for your interests and feedback!
    Last edited by brightharbour; 05/04/2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Is this legal? My guess is no.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdan View Post
    Is what legal? Making an app that you can upload music to?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    how would it not be legal? It is no different than many other services out there that allow you to upload your music and then play it elsewhere. Well it is different than many... This allows you to play it on the Pre.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    how would it not be legal? It is no different than many other services out there that allow you to upload your music and then play it elsewhere. Well it is different than many... This allows you to play it on the Pre.
    Putting other peoples copyrighted works in the cloud is the question. It's like when someone uploads the daily show to youtube, that's not legal and rights holder will tell youtube to take it down.

Take a look at the ZumoDrive Terms of Service under copyright, technically if you don't own the copyright you shouldn't be putting it on their servers.

The only reason these other services are still in existence is that they don't yet pose a big enough target to the MPAA. But, It's only a matter of time.

Next comes the origins of the music files themselves, I highly doubt someone with 500GB of music bought it all (that would cost a small fortune). Also I'm willing to bet the iTunes license would also frown upon this.

So how is it legal?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I think it would be legal because you're putting it in the cloud for yourself. You're not distributing the music like adding the daily show to youtube.
    Putting other peoples copyrighted works in the cloud is the question. It's like when someone uploads the daily show to youtube, that's not legal and rights holder will tell youtube to take it down.
    once you buy it you own your copy and you aren't putting it up for download. and tv shows aren't purchased and therefore shouldn't be recorded and posted (for view and download).

Next comes the origins of the music files themselves, I highly doubt someone with 500GB of music bought it all (that would cost a small fortune).
    i took several days and ripped my entire CD collection, so yeah, they're "mine." the majority of my 500gb are live concert recordings, all legally obtained.

So how is it legal?
    in many ways.... you're not selling, copying material or offering it up for download. you are only storing your copies of your music on a server.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler3_o View Post
    I think it would be legal because you're putting it in the cloud for yourself. You're not distributing the music like adding the daily show to youtube.
    That thought crossed my mind as well. I believe thats what they call a legal grey area, we shall see how it all shakes out.

After reading the ZumoDrive TOS they will just erase your account, sounds sweet.
    ...additional issues:

-songs aren't staying in "order" once added to a station. i have all my music properly tagged so, it not that I haven't tagged my mp3s into albums etc.
    It should come under the "fair use" provision.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Yes, your not distributing, you are "Backing Up" your data to the cloud for your own personal use. There are MANY services that do this now. Much bigger players than brightharbour too.
    Last edited by SirWill; 05/04/2010 at 09:00 PM.
    -----------------
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    So I'm having a problem with the windows desktop client, it hangs while uploading songs. No errors, no way to restart it, it just hangs. 1 song in, 2 songs in 16 songs in. It can say finished on 16 songs, hang on 17 and it still doesn't add the music to the app. Also I'm the group that can not even install it on my Pre. Get invalid application...

edit: Was just able to install it on my phone finally. Webosdev just tweeted that the catalog was fixed finally.
    Last edited by SirWill; 05/04/2010 at 09:01 PM.
    -----------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    It should come under the "fair use" provision.
    Unfortunately I don't think the record companies agree.

They are currently suing Grooveshark and mp3tunes for similar services.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast