Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey PreCentral Members,

My name is Alex Haefner, and I'm the developer of Chain Reaction for webOS, a free and open source game. It's my first app and I've been really excited by all the support from webOS users, I didn't expect to have over 13,000 downloads in five days! It's really exciting for me, as it's the first thing I've published as an application developer for webOS, or pretty much ever . So take a look at it if you're interested, I've got some updates flowing down the pipes that should be posted soon, and I'm always up for feature requests.

On Palm.com:
    Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Chain Reaction
    Precentral:
    http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...chain-reaction

If you're curious about how it works, feel free to download the source from my site, alexhaefner.com, published under the MIT open source license. But be warned that the code isn't very clean, as it was my first application, so the way that I did things may not be the best way to do them.

Thanks,
    Alex Haefner
    Last edited by Alex Haefner; 04/25/2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: typos
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    awesome job!!!! Just keep developing and we'll keep paying!
  3.    #3  
    Version 1.0.2 is live, which fixes a few bugs. I also just uploaded v 1.0.3 which fixes lag problems, so as soon as palm reviews that, it will be available for download.

Also, I am looking for a few beta testers for a version of the application that includes an online scoreboard. If anyone is interested, PM me with your webOS version number.

Thanks,
    Alex Haefner
    Just got the game today on recommendation from a friend. It's great! Thanks Alex!

Question: is there a way to get back to the main menu so I can see scores? Back-swipe just pauses it and puts it in card mode.
  5.    #5  
    Glad that you liked it. There is not a way to get back to the main menu right now, I will add it on the screen between rounds. If I added this, when you go back to the main menu, would you expect the game to save your state so that you could resume the game?
    Love It Love It Love It!
    Will send a donation and some point (c:
    Did you add Balls Captured n the top left in this last release? or I'm just noticing it?? That was the one thing I wanted to see.
    Thanks!!
    With the exception of the Mobile HotSpot, Chain Reaction is my most used app!!
  7.    #7  
    Yes I did add balls capture. Glad you like it!
  8. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Very fun and original game - thanks!
    yup i gotta say its one amusing little game. i cant put it down!
  10.    #10  
    Cool. So I got some great custom made music from a friend that I want to implement. And I've got autosave working properly on a version I'm working on right now! We're just rolling along here folks! The support from the community is really what's driving me. Couldn't do it without you!
    Last edited by Alex Haefner; 04/29/2010 at 02:39 AM.
    I haven't played your game b/c I don't have my ATT Pre+ as of yet, but I did see it on P|C's app cat page two days ago and I read the description and it sounds fun. And then I saw your thread today and I have to say that I will get this game. You listening to and asking for feedback to improve the game has made me want it more.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  12.    #12  
    Glad to hear it. There is an update rolling down the line that will add autosave, better contrast, and more rounds (20 now!), just waiting for Palm to approve it. My computer had to go in for repair and it's all that I could fit in before then. Right now I'm posting on a pre, hope to get it back soon! Will try to add sound/leaderboard within the next two weeks. I am still working on fixing lagg issues, but they are improved!
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Haefner View Post
    My name is Alex Haefner, and I'm the developer of Chain Reaction for webOS, a free and open source game. It's my first app and I've been really excited by all the support from webOS users, I didn't expect to have over 13,000 downloads in five days! It's really exciting for me, as it's the first thing I've published as an application developer for webOS, or pretty much ever . So take a look at it if you're interested, I've got some updates flowing down the pipes that should be posted soon, and I'm always up for feature requests.
    cool stuff Alex! keep it up!

i got addicted to this facebook game a while back - so i did my own version for iPhone (which, subsequently had to get removed due to copyright infringement) - it was free as well. you might be ok now, at least until the platform gets more popular and the facebook guys want to come over

we have a similar game (abiosis:chains) which is the port from iphone over to the palm pre using the PDK. we were considering doing a HTML5/CSS version for fun - but you beat us to it
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Mobile 1UP, http://www.mobile1up.com/
    Caveman, Caveman HD (touchpad), Cronk and GW Series available on web OS
  14.    #14  
    Yeah I certainly didn't want to infringe on copyright, but am probably doing it. I have started looking at changes that could be made (i.e. Name, etc.) to avoid getting a cease and desist. I don't want to infringe on anyone's copyrights, I just wanted to bring a fun game to webOS that I saw as lacking.
  15. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    One feature that would be nice (if you didn't already do it) would be some kind of bonus for clearing all balls in a round. I've done it a few times, and each time I think I should get something for it!

Still love the game though, it's my go-to time waster at the moment.

Tom
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Haefner View Post
    Yeah I certainly didn't want to infringe on copyright, but am probably doing it. I have started looking at changes that could be made (i.e. Name, etc.) to avoid getting a cease and desist. I don't want to infringe on anyone's copyrights, I just wanted to bring a fun game to webOS that I saw as lacking.
    i'm apparently an expert at that Nintendo love me - i only found out you did a version after a review of abiosis:chains mentioned it we were thinking of doing a HTML5/CSS version to enter the hot apps challenge as PDK applications do not qualify you beat us to it - and made it open source too! good stuff.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    How does the scoring work in this game? It seems somewhat random...

Great game otherwise...a very good mind-numbing addictive time-waster!!
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boxfier View Post
    How does the scoring work in this game? It seems somewhat random... Great game otherwise...a very good mind-numbing addictive time-waster!!
    there is a pattern - i studied the facebook version for ages!

100 - 800 - ....

i have the formula somewhere, it was not that difficult to calculate. basically, exponential as you get more and more collisions in subsequent chains.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Ahhh, so the longer the individual chain, the more points. Makes sense. Thanks.
  20.    #20  
    Version 1.1.0 is up and version 1.1.1. is coming as soon as palm reviews it. 1.1.0 brings higher contrast and auto save after every round(so if you close the app you can continue playing a game that you had closed if you want). Version 1.1.1 brings major speed improvements by eliminating a lot of unnecessary math, this also makes collision detection more accurate. There are still some lagg problems.

If you have a pixi, would you download the game and play through to completion? I have heard reports of round 19 glitching on devices but am having trouble getting in contact with users and finding the problem. Feedback would REALLY be appreciated.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast