Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes
    Basically, it sets up a rather complex loop of having an app that launches a service, and the service launches the app whenever the app closes, as well as pretty much every time any other things happens. The app makes sure the service is always running, and the service makes sure the app is always running. It's rather difficult to make that work well without causing other problems.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  2.    #102  
    just realized it has been 2 yeas and four months since i first made this thread!keep up the good work fellas hopefully we will be successful
    I had no time to do anything on it today, sooooooo i'll try to get back to my messages on there tomorrow
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    The Stand-alone App or Synergy Question is a big one. Basically, the neatest way would be to have it in Synergy. On the other hand, Synergy HAS problems. For example, there is a thread for people who use Google Talk but get logged out of it for some reason. It seems Synergy doesn't notice if there is some kind of network change - for example, from Wifi to 3G, or from 3G cell to 3G cell. In these situations Gtalk/Synergy loses the connection and does not reconnect --> you're offline.

Another bug is that people are not always able to log into Gtalk. There is a patch to address this. But this does not actually fix it. I just rebooted my Pre2 and still can't log in. Sucks.

So as long as those problems aren't sorted (and given these problems would exist with WhatsApp on Synergy as well), it wouldn't be to wise to chose Synergy.

A standalone program would be way less elegant. On the other hand, as long as it works good and has a nice UI, it is all we need. The UI doesn't even have to be something special, just easy to use, quick/reactive, and working.

We are currently at a point where everyone besides webOS is using WhatsApp and as a first step, we webOS users just like to get connected to our friends on WhatsApp. Everything else is just a bonus on top of it.
    jcmarcos, tromalas and Vistaus like this.
    It's a big question, because there's the obvious convenience factor of it just working, not having to build any UI, and I can basically throw the app into a dashboard notification or something, if I can't work out a proper app->service->app infinite loop without crashing things (that's what happened when I tried to do that with IRC).

The google talk problems are probably not related to Synergy itself, but to something in the actual part that deals with the connection end to Google. Synergy is basically just a large series of database triggers.

The other thing, is that there's some of things in WA, such as having an indicator not only when a message is accepted by the server, but also when it's accepted by the client, your additional non-text attachments, stuff like that. Of course, I could also go the route that I went with SynerGV, which includes an app for the additional functions, and just uses the messaging for messaging.

A big issue might be that the whole device registration process seems to be on lockdown right now. I don't have any idea if it's just me, because I made a bunch of errors in the registration process, or if it's everyone .. i see a lot of people on the wazapp thread complaining about it, too.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    jcmarcos and Rnp like this.
    well, i connected it to messaging app now, and it's actually running surprisingly well, so long as no one sends me any non-text stuff. So, if you had contacted me before, please contact me there again, and I'll file you in my contacts, and hopefully it'll stick.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    well, i connected it to messaging app now, and it's actually running surprisingly well, so long as no one sends me any non-text stuff. So, if you had contacted me before, please contact me there again, and I'll file you in my contacts, and hopefully it'll stick.
    Great work!

It should be fairly straight forward to "catch" the non-text stuff I would assume and to just give the (webOS) user some feedback for now saying that the feature is not supported instead of crapping/crashing the messaging app?

I think most people will be happy with "just text" for now while work is being done on other features? I know I would be very happy with just the text already to be honest!

If you'd set it up on GitHub I'm sure other talented developers are willing to contribute as well
    I would hope so, but i'm not entirely certain that the functions that translate the xml to/from the binary coding that WA speaks are 100% accurate, nor do I have any idea what any of the custom WA xmpp messages might mean. At this point, I know it doesn't work with custom images. No idea what else might break.

Before I get too far into it, i'm going to read the XMPP messaging extension specs.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    well, i connected it to messaging app now, and it's actually running surprisingly well
    That's a great, great achievement Eric! Shouldn't this story go as an article in this site main page? I was about to contact Derek, but I don't know if you think it's appropiate.

so long as no one sends me any non-text stuff.
    Text only is OK for most, I'd say.

So, if you had contacted me before, please contact me there again, and I'll file you in my contacts, and hopefully it'll stick.
    Sure, I've replied to your IM some minutes ago. My WhatsApp client is open for the next six hours, and no one else will bother us, because I don't have any WhatsApp friends (yet) :-D

This is shaping great, Eric, please offer a way for donations!
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  10.    #110  
    HI Guys is what i think is going on in here really happening?!thanks for all the hard work
    I have it mostly working for text, but it needs lots of help before its stable. There's also currently no way to register to the device, unless someone can figure out a way to determine what the current iOS or android app registration methods are. It appears the Nokia registration system is dead.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Sitting online waiting for people. .
    Mostly no time to do anything else thru the weekend, but I'll stay logged in to see how well its working.

Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenjo2009 View Post
    HI Guys is what i think is going on in here really happening?
    Indeed: Eric has a prototype of WhatsApp client for webOS. I even saw a message from him in the also unnoficial Java client by Peter Bjorn I have in this WindowsXP box.

I have it mostly working for text, but it needs lots of help before its stable. There's also currently no way to register to the device, unless someone can figure out a way to determine what the current iOS or android app registration methods are. It appears the Nokia registration system is dead.
    That's bad news: Perhaps my client works because I got it registered long ago, and it wouldn't register now. So how did you get registered, Eric?

Sitting online waiting for people.
    It's a pity we're so apart in timezones: When I'm online, you're sleeping (I hope!). Keep up the good work, Eric!
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...

Can't we get the latest APK from Play Store, decompile it to JAR and look with JD-GUI inside the JAR to see how registration is handled now?
    wolfgart, jcmarcos and Vistaus like this.
    I' m here with my Veer for testing.

With the effort of Herrie and others we can optimize the GREAT work of eBlade.

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus con Tapatalk 2
    - HP Veer --
    Can't we get the latest APK from Play Store, decompile it to JAR and look with JD-GUI inside the JAR to see how registration is handled now?

It's not that easy. I was working on a WhatsApp synergy connector based on the Android code about five months ago and I spend most of the time just trying to figure out the code because it wasn't very readable. I heard that since then they've obfuscated the code, so it's probably much harder now.
    TouchPad Virtual Keyboard Patches
    webOS Scrollbars

Like my work? Want to support it? Want to thank me?
    That is good news and a real milestone. As long as Synergy is working, it is perfectly ok with me. Does it rely on the internal phone book, so you can actually pick contacts from within the Synergy App? The basic messaging functions would be more than enough for the moment. Everything else could be supplied some later day with a separate App.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    What is device registration?
    I'm talking about the problem eblade is confronting.
    Is it something like creating a WhatsApp account?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    What is device registration?
    I'm talking about the problem eblade is confronting.
    Is it something like creating a WhatsApp account?
    Yes creating a WhatsApp account, that is assigned to your mobile number.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I.. have no idea. my knowledge of things Android is not vast. I assume it works in the same way as it did before, we just need to know what the web address used, URL parameters, and the User Agent.. most likely.

I figure another possible idea would be to setup a secure web server, on your own network, and trick the android phone into using it for r.whatsapp.net, but i have no idea how to do the whole part about making the secure part of that work.

I got registered on it like 2 months ago, when I first started poking at this. It also appears that you can use a deactivated Android phone or an Android emulator to run the app, which will then ask you what phone number you want to register, and then you can take that code to any other thing and register it. I've also heard rumors that if you skip the requesting a new code step you can continuously use the same code to register forever, although i haven't tested that.

Quote Originally Posted by hux View Post
    That is good news and a real milestone. As long as Synergy is working, it is perfectly ok with me. Does it rely on the internal phone book, so you can actually pick contacts from within the Synergy App? The basic messaging functions would be more than enough for the moment. Everything else could be supplied some later day with a separate App.
    There's no direct way to connect contacts in one system (say, SIM account) to another system (Whatsapp account). I have no idea how

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Yes creating a WhatsApp account, that is assigned to your mobile number.
    Yes, the 'standard' registration process is: run the app, WA sends you a text message with a code, you enter the code into the app, and WA creates an account and assigns it to your phone.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!