Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I think they reversed engineered the app from Nokia Symbian (Java) probably!
    That is possible, but that doesn't explain how he could've integrated the protocol. If the protocol is undocumented, like eblade says, than it's rather difficult to use it in a client. So it's much more than only reverse engineering 'cause the protocol can't be reverse engineered.
    If an alien client exists for the protocol, it's obvious that the protocol has been cracked open. Even by using a chunk of decompiled Java code, from the Symbian version, WhatsApp is now "public", until they feel fed up and change it. I myself have Peter Bjorn's barebones Java client, running in WindowsXP in this very PC. Friends trip a bit about it, but it's not brain surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by ShensMobile View Post
    Messaging is super popular with kids these days, and because of that, when they grow up...
    ...When they grow up, they'll have completely destroyed their language abilities, and will be unable to read any text longer than four words, with five or more letters each. I have a very biased opinion about messaging and other contemporary technology uses, but I do believe I'm right in this. At the same time, I agree fully with your post.

But that's another debate. In general, having a client for the fashoinable protocol of the moment is very desirable. The question is why in bloody hell everyone fell in love with WhatsApp? The most powerful software company in the world already had the throne of messaging (Microsoft Messenger) and lost it?!
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Well, my friends use it (even my best friend is switching to it when she finally gets a smartphone later this year) and it's cheaper than text messaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    That is possible, but that doesn't explain how he could've integrated the protocol. If the protocol is undocumented, like eblade says, than it's rather difficult to use it in a client. So it's much more than only reverse engineering 'cause the protocol can't be reverse engineered.
    Why can't the protocol be reverse engineered? For a lot of people, that'd be easier than decompiling the existing code, or trying to read the code that the WazApp people are using ..

I've poked around in that code for a little while, but I don't see anywhere that it actually does the communication at. I may be blind, or ignorant of some piece of it that I need to understand to be able to read it, though.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    jcmarcos and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I've poked around in that code for a little while
    For that, I thank you!

but I don't see anywhere that it actually does the communication.
    What? That's strange... Could it be that the source code for Wazapp is incomplete on purpose?

By the way, Peter Bjorn has just released a new version of his Java Whatsapp client, that I'm going to test rather soon on this very Windows box.

Eeek! It's source code!
    Last edited by jcmarcos; 06/06/2012 at 02:35 AM.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    *bump* Still wanting this!
    Quote Originally Posted by loose_unit View Post
    Still wanting this!
    Like the rest of the webOS world, rest assured. It's a pity other platforms have their own WhatsApp clones (I even have it on my WindowsXP box, thanks to Peter Bjorn). I'd say that a talented, brave webOS developer, could even win substantial money giving us even a basic WhatsApp clone.

Just look at the other thread about webOS; eblade is working on it.
    Just wondering one thing... how do these clones cope with the subscription fee that Whatsapp has?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Just wondering one thing... how do these clones cope with the subscription fee that Whatsapp has?
    The subscription fee is tied to your phone number which you use in WhatsApp or a clone, so that should work fine.
    Anyone who has a whatsapp account, please add 9519993267 to your contacts list, and send me a message.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    jcmarcos and Rnp like this.
    Anyone who has a whatsapp account, please add 9519993267 to your contacts list, and send me a message.
    WOT?! Just done! Using Peter Bjorn's WhatsApp Java client on WindowsXP. Actually, I'm not completely sure it works, I hope it does. It worked very well some time ago. Screenshot attached, those red squares in contacts mean that they are not connected.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jcmarcos; 08/20/2012 at 01:44 AM.

I was offline for quite some time, as trying to make code for the registration system managed to get my account locked out for some time .. and i still can't verify that my registration code is anywhere near right .. rumor has it that the registration has a monthly limit on number of times it can be called. ugh! and it's blocking my IP or something, since it doesn't matter what number i try to register.

It's "working" and I presume it will queue my messages for offline delivery, but I'm turning it off until I wake up again at least. It's a terrible mess on the outside, but I have been able to maintain a conversation with it.

oh, I think it needs to be 19519993267 .. oops.
    Last edited by eblade; 08/20/2012 at 04:44 AM.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    jcmarcos likes this.
    I was offline for quite some time, as trying to make code for the registration system managed to get my account locked out for some time...
    Ouch. I'm sorry you're suffering those horrid security things.

I have been able to maintain a conversation with it
    That's brilliant! Most wanted screenshot in ages!

oh, I think it needs to be 19519993267 .. oops.
    As my client seems to want international format, I've added you as "+19519993267". Still don't see you online.
    Last edited by jcmarcos; 08/20/2012 at 05:40 AM.

I'll work out that screenshot request after I actually have an interface to it. right now it's just a wall of text with craptons of debug info on screen.

Question now, should I connect it to Messaging, or leave it all in a seperate thing? hmm..
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    I'll work out that screenshot request after I actually have an interface to it. right now it's just a wall of text with craptons of debug info on screen.

Question now, should I connect it to Messaging, or leave it all in a seperate thing? hmm..
    My gut feeling says Synergy, but well... Up to you... Once we have it as a separate app it shouldn't be too difficult to get it working in Synergy too I would say?
    Rnp likes this.
    Still, that would be something to look at! Congratulations for your advances! When I received your first message, I was very tempted to do a screenshot: Two alien, unsupported WhatsApp clients, talking to each other!

should I connect it to Messaging, or leave it all in a seperate thing? hmm..
    Is there any advantage in having it as a separate app? I'd rather have WhatsApp integrated as a Synergy Messaging plugin anyday.

Rnp likes this.
    well, connecting it to messaging will make it more difficult to add in any special features beyond the basics. It would be nice if the "is contact online" thing could be made to integrate to it, but from what I've heard, there are some difficulties in doing that, in that HPalm sort of forgot to allow public apps access to the databases that store that info.

Also, since it uses a persistent connection, it's probably going to need to have a window open of some kind, to be able to keep it running.

Of course, connecting it to messaging means far less time spent in developing the UI side of things. Decisions, decisions.

*wonders if he's ever going to decide to sleep this week*
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Ideally we shouldn't have to keep a window open to do it.
    TextOne did it somehow. They kept a persistent connection without the need of an open window.
    If you need to keep it "online" then I believe it should be integrated into Messaging, which runs "minimized".
    Just my thoughts, as I couldn't possibly understand the difficulty of your work. However if a seperate app allows to implement other things then maybe separate?
    Thanks again for all your work.
    Also MoMo IM manages it with some kind of service that runs in the background, it's available on Github so might be worth to have a look!
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast