Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes
    I'm very amused that since I wrote my last post on this thread, the whole "Android viruses" topic has come up, and now they don't even have the "Automatically reads all your contact information to find your friends" listed as -a- feature, when it was practically the -only- selling point they had when I wrote that last one.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    Enyo existed ever-since the introduction of webOS 3/2.2.0.

How would the fact that Enyo is open-sourced, if that is what you meant, could help in this? They have a propriety protocol implemented over XMPP and that is the biggest problem.
    On January 25th, Open source Enyo was available, you can check it out at official HP Palm Blog. and at wikipedia, a comparison of instant messaging clients, we can see the comm protocols and their clients.

I just threw out the idea that some one could merge the communications, the interoperability.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    @ricktermx I don't think you understand. As CvvB states open source or closed source Enyo is NO difference for whatsapp. It is whatsapp that is closed source an property of the company behind had. So we need THEM to build a webOS app. An app that does not require any changes to Enyo (as far as I am aware).

Open sourcing Luna and webOS may potentially be of some use, assuming that the current closed source implementations of Luna and/or webOS are preventing a working whatsapp port (which I doubt, cuz I guess it's just seen as an unprofitable platform for whatsapp) and changes to webOS/Luna may change that.

Why are some people always seing open sourcing as some sort of holy grail...?
    I do not understand too much about programming, but that growth is not that until the company wathsapp not want (and so far have no intention) will not be wathsapp

i' m sorry, a bad copy
    Last edited by piti18; 01/31/2012 at 03:39 PM.
    I agree with all of you. but the gist is to have Whatsapp at whatever cost?????.......from my standpoint, we have 2 ways:

1. To continue praying for whatsapp to appear onto the extraordinary webOS. or
    2. To create some sort of "CommsApp".....

May b Whatsapp didn't involve webOS, 'cause they are not ABLE to do it.

I am into webOS not for fanatism, but for being a clever OS. (not an OS for kewl teenagers, or nerd phones).

Web Operating System is pure intelligence quality.
    Hey I was browsing and this is so far the thing that has been most concrete for whatsapp.
    Can some developer check it
    [Technical Discussion] Porting WhatsApp to the N900 - Page 2 - maemo.org - Talk

WHATSAPP porting , need some help guys ! - maemo.org - Talk

They seems to have an idea for the xmpp settings for whatsapp and are porting the whatsapp for meego.

Do we have some developer over here who could do this for webos?

I am ready to put in $10 if someone could make it possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil.insulted View Post

I am ready to put in $10 if someone could make it possible.
    me too...
    Count with my $10
    $20 So Far, Can some developer atleast see what these guys are talking abt and if its possible on WebOS Platform?
    I'll put in $20 for that, so that makes the total 40$.
    Sad to see there is no developer who can let us know if this is possible by them?
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Part of their basis actually isn't possible in webOS - you can't access the device's contacts list from software.
    Which is, in my opinion, very right. But what about adding contacts manually? It's not that bad. Primitive, but workable.

In the other hand, I realize the argument should not be valid: I remember that it was very easy to access contacts anyway: They are stored in a non-secured, easily reachable database (at least back in webOS 1.4.5).
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    I signed the petition and when "view signatures" I appeared but still have a funny feeling that the counter didn't added my petition. Could it be stuck at ± 2500 signatures? Well I hope somebody still keeps track of this thread and the petition thing. Hope this finally bring some cross_platform relationship for webOS. LONG WILL LIVE WEBOS!!! …but this could very much help…
    ajguns
    LONG WILL LIVE webOS!!!
    Hey I was browsing and this is so far the thing that has been most concrete for whatsapp.

[Technical Discussion] Porting WhatsApp to the N900 - Page 2 - maemo.org - Talk
    Very interesting read, Devil. I'm looking at it throughly, merely out of curiosity (I'm not your man, sorry). So far, they've attacked the issue from several sides: Extracting the source code from the Android version, sniffing traffic from the Nokia version. Here is an impressive resume, which happens to be very early:

maemo.org - Talk - View Single Post - WHATSAPP porting , need some help guys !

In short, getting into how WhatsApp works is not the problem: It's almost plain XMPP protocol. The problem might be that, in the end, all traffic goes to WhatsApp servers, and they'll always be able to block whoever they want.

In all, that is an amazing, amazing team effort from those guys on a "dead" operating system. That's the kind of fun we should have too!
    Last edited by jcmarcos; 02/09/2012 at 01:26 AM.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Very interesting read, Devil. I'm looking at it throughly, merely out of curiosity (I'm not your man, sorry). So far, they've attacked the issue from several sides: Extracting the source code from the Android version, sniffing traffic from the Nokia version. Here is an impressive resume, which happens to be very early:

maemo.org - Talk - View Single Post - WHATSAPP porting , need some help guys !

In short, getting into how WhatsApp works is not the problem: It's almost plain XMPP protocol. The problem might be that, in the end, all traffic goes to WhatsApp servers, and they'll always be able to block whoever they want.

In all, that is an amazing, amazing team effort from those guys on a "dead" operating system. That's the kind of fun we should have too!
    Hi icmarcos,

They might not block a number but might change the server address if they dont want to cater us and demotivate us.
    I am currently using whatsapp on an emulator and it works perfectly for almost an year.
    Now that I have my phone I would like to do that on my Phone.
    Hopefully some developer reads this post and let us know if this is possible.
    I dont care if I have to enter the details for phone number manually or its not possible at all to have phone numbers assosicated with names.
    I care if the application works.
    If it does rest all is small stuff.

Regards,
    Devil
    Isn't it as simple as changing the string that's send from webOS to Android? That way they won't block us. Btw, why would they even block us in the first place? If we get it working, they don't have to do any work and still get extra users.
    I am currently using whatsapp on an emulator and it works perfectly for almost an year.
    Wow, nice. I guess you mean the official Android emulator. I though WhatsApp wouldn't work even there, as I believed the emulator lacked some characteristics demanded by WhatsApp, such as the device identifier and cell service. Because WhatsApp needs to send certain SMS, doesn't it.

In all, the Maemo/Meego people seem to work great. Should we simply wait until they achieve it, and then use their work? Perhaps by then WhatsApp isn't fashionable anymore, and people have left it for another trendy IM app (let's hope not closed source, but I guess that's asking too much).
    @jcmarcos: in fact, there's a way to make it work on the touchpad (on android, obviously), you have to change some files, maybe he did the same with the emulator.

And count with my $10 for this.

We should make this reach the Portal.
    Nokia 1100 - Alcatel OT156A - Motorola C650 - Motorola v220i - Motorola V555 - The Great Motorola V360 - The Amazing Treo 650 - Treo 750 - Original Palm Pre (1.4.5) - Palm Pre2 (2.1) + Touchpad.
    I've revisited that thread on "xda-developers.com" about Android apps running in a webOS card. Sadly, there's no sign of life from "Chomper", the fine guy who had early success. There are other similar initiatives, but still no result.
    Vistaus likes this.
    sadly still no replies from any developer that they will be trying it.
    Vistaus likes this.
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast