Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Javazkript View Post
    It worked for us. Good work.
    Thank C.Desjardins on github, not me.
    Finally. Now we can finish this client!
    I can see this sort of problem repeating itself. They don't care about the non-official apps breaking.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    this is a whatsapp for nokia?? How i can install .deb app in palm? o.o
    @Grabber: They probably don't even know about non-official apps

@Efrain: You can't.
    i dont understand... with this .deb whatsapp will make the whatsapp for webos? or for webos any chance?
    The .deb won't change anything. That .deb is compiled for ARM, but it's only installable on an OS that actually supports .deb-files and has the Qt Mobility stack. webOS doesn't have either of them. That's why eblade is transforming the code from the .deb along with the WhatsAPI to make something that can be used on webOS. But progress is going slow as WhatsApp f*cks up the servers constantly.

So if you want WhatsApp for webOS you'll have to wait until eblade finishes Wazzaa, the webOS client for WhatsApp. The .deb is useless on webOS.
    tromalas and jcmarcos like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    @Grabber: They probably don't even know about non-official apps
    I'd almost guarantee that they do know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    @Grabber: They probably don't even know about non-official apps ;.
    It's common for legal representation for these companies to actively search for unauthorized clients and subvert the process by having the developers jack with them in order to make them "look unstable, unreliable, and like they were coded by amateurs" without affecting their own official versions in order to drive users to theirs (and the platforms that offer them) instead. It's not something that's openly admitted for obvious reasons, but it's merely something that's done more way often than you think. Especially for unauthorized paid or ad-driven apps; those really **** them off because they don't get a cut of the revenue while unwillingly giving away the data for free.

And there's nothing the creators of those unauthorized clients can do when something goes awry without exposing themselves to a full-on blacklist or worse, a cease-and-desist or even a lawsuit depending on the app and the company whose APIs are being used without permission. The best they can hope for is to fix the problem immediately or take a bigger hit to their reputation (and possibly revenue if it's ad-driven or paid) the longer their app refuses to work.

Consider it the nicest way a provider can tell you you're not welcome to use their APIs without a license...if one is even available. Without one, you're on your own and your reputation amongst your users as the developer of the app remains in full control of the data provider.

It's a tough situation to continue on with for the long haul, and one that I wouldn't personally place myself in as a developer given the relatively permanent nature of internet forums and review sites though I have some respect for the crazy folks that take the risk...as long as they don't:

1) use the provider's brand name as the app title,
    2) use the provider's logos or branding as part of the app
    3) charge for use of the app, or
    4) add advertisements to profit off from the data provider's work.

Once the developer does any one of those, it's fair game and they get what they deserve in penalties for doing so. It's already "gray area" enough ethically as a developer when thinking that reverse engineering and using an intentionally private API for their own ends is somehow OK, but violating any one of the 4 above conditions makes it absolutely reprehensible and indefensible.

tl;dr: Don't be lazy; read the post.
    Last edited by dignitary; 09/12/2012 at 11:49 PM.
    "subvert the process by having the developers jack with them in order to make them "look unstable, unreliable, and like they were coded by amateurs" without affecting their own official versions in order to drive users to theirs (and the platforms that offer them) instead"

True that but do you know how many problems the official versions have? They **** up things constantly and the official versions are unstable. Heck, when they released their WP7 version they even had to pull it out of the Windows app store until it was usable. That's says a lot about their skills lol. And atm the Android version has problems activating accounts.

So while what you say is true, they are already screwing up their own official versions enough.
    I'm going to likely be spending all of next week out of the state, so I'm going to be spending this weekend preparing for that, and then be gone for the week, and so, I'd just generally appreciate it if I don't return to having a hundred inbox messages "OMG WHERE IS THE WHAZAAA APP"

If any industrious javascript/node programmers would like to patch up the node module to handle xmpp stanzas that cross multiple packets, while I am gone, that'd be fantastically awesome.

BTW, as a note to self for when I return .. need to make the system send contact information to sro.whatsapp.net to see what users are available, since that can be fired off in a single request, rather than doing a couple hundred individual requests at login via the XMPP server.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Jozz likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I'm going to likely be spending all of next week out of the state
    Have a nice trip Eric! I also hope you don't get flooded by Whazaaa requests.

patch up the node module to handle xmpp stanzas that cross multiple packets, make the system send contact information to sro.whatsapp.net to see what users are available
    Mmmm... Those are two big things to do, I guess. But you haven't mentioned those login problems you were suffering, due to recent server changes. Does that mean that they are solved, and you have basic messaging working again?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Have a nice trip Eric! I also hope you don't get flooded by Whazaaa requests.

Mmmm... Those are two big things to do, I guess. But you haven't mentioned those login problems you were suffering, due to recent server changes. Does that mean that they are solved, and you have basic messaging working again?
    I can confirm Eric updated the pre-alpha and messaging is working again
    jcmarcos, tromalas, Rnp and 1 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I can confirm Eric updated the pre-alpha and messaging is working again
    WOOT! And my Java client no longer works anymore! Me jealous...
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Its probably not really a huge deal to do either of those,time wise, but it will require some reworking of the main logic that makes it work. Basically just need to have it store all incoming information in a buffer, and only process it when there's enough information to fully process the next message in the queue. As is now, it processes everything immediately upon receiving which blows it all to heck when something comes in that doesn't fit in a single TCP packet.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    jcmarcos, Rnp and Vistaus like this.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Not sure if this was already posted and if it has any influence on your implementation:
    Popular messaging service WhatsApp no longer sends its users' messages in plain text. WhatsApp, which supports all major smartphone platforms, has established itself as an SMS replacement for many users over the past few years. An FAQ entry from the company behind the application states that the latest version of the WhatsApp client now uses encryption.
    WhatsApp no longer sends plain text - The H Security: News and Features

HaPe
    Looks bad, very bad, I'd say. It's legitimate, of course, mostly after further reading in that site about the scandalous lack of security in the prior official clients.

I've taken a quick look at the "WhatsAPI" project, and it has been updated just yesterday, but perhaps in nothing related to this new encryption. There's an "encryptPassword" method, but it just does the corresponding lazy trick of pulling an MD5 hash out of your reversed IMEI.

What are the chances of reverse engineering the new encryption, if any? Perhaps I'm too pessimistic, as someone in the WhatsAPI discussion said it's fully working again, just four days ago. Of course, our hero Eric Blade is there too!
    Last edited by jcmarcos; 09/14/2012 at 04:33 AM.

I can confirm that in Eric's version TEXT is still working without issues... Checked and confirmed yesterday and today
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I can confirm that in Eric's version TEXT is still working without issues... Checked and confirmed yesterday and today
    Great! That encryption thing got me scared... But I didn't see a thing about encryption both in Eric's Node-WA and WhatsAPI. So are messages really encrypted or not? Anyway, time for celebration!

I guess that, since Peter Bjorn's Java client has stopped working, I'd give a try at Eric's work. But his Synergy plugin for messaging is not public.

Perhaps I can add that "Node.jsjsjs" thing to this WindowsXP box, download Eric's work, and then write an extremely simple console application for his API. Could that be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Great! That encryption thing got me scared... But I didn't see a thing about encryption both in Eric's Node-WA and WhatsAPI. So are messages really encrypted or not? Anyway, time for celebration!

I guess that, since Peter Bjorn's Java client has stopped working, I'd give a try at Eric's work. But his Synergy plugin for messaging is not public.

Perhaps I can add that "Node.jsjsjs" thing to this WindowsXP box, download Eric's work, and then write an extremely simple console application for his API. Could that be possible?
    Yes possible, or you could use Enyo 2.0 for layout And use it in your browser (Chrome/Firefox/IE8+ etc )
    jcmarcos and Vistaus like this.