Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Do I need the app? I just got my pre+ less then a week ago and I am learning a lot from the manual and this forum.

I basically need my pre+ as a hotspot at my folks (no internet there!). Should I download preware?
    YES
    YES!
  4.    #4  
    Okay! Where do I find it?
    Preware is a must have. At the worst if it turns out that you don't like it then just uninstall it and no hard feelings done
    having this phone without preware is like having a sports car, but no gas... and the Tesla Roadster doesn't apply to this analogy...

1. you're gonna need to first install the latest version of webOS quickinstall onto your computer:
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v3-12-a.html

2. then put your device is developer mode:
    from the homescreen type: webos20090606
    an icon that says "developer mode enabler" will appear, tap it. when the app opens, switch the slider to "on" and accept the prompt that asks to reset your phone.

3. when your phone is done rebooting, open webosquickinstall and connect your phone to your PC via usb. When prompted on your phone choose "just charge". then wait until your device is recognized by your PC

4. on the right hand side of quickinstall you'll see a down pointing arrow, click it. a window will open. from the drop down menu that appears select "webos-internals feed (all)". check the boxes next to Package Manager Service and Preware then hit download. close the window.

5. back at quickinstalls home, you'll see the two files you downloaded in the field labeled "files to install. click "install" when its done installing, you are good to go.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 04/24/2010 at 02:49 PM.
    just do a search and you will find it easy as pie and we like pie .
    Quote Originally Posted by smith838 View Post
    Okay! Where do I find it?

no pre owner should ever be with out http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...0-preware.html
    Last edited by Menace187; 04/24/2010 at 03:38 PM.
    YES! you don't have a pre yet if you don't have it.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
    in my opinion, Palm should put Preware in their App Catalog, or even ship the phone with it already installed. I know why they don't, but that's how important and valuable I think Preware and the homebrew stuff is.

And don't forget to donate to the major contributors to Preware, QuickInstall, etc... They do this on their own time, and at their own expense. It isn't free to host and operate all the download servers and other stuff that makes this all work so well!
    Do I need the app? I just got my pre+ less then a week ago and I am learning a lot from the manual and this forum.

I basically need my pre+ as a hotspot at my folks (no internet there!). Should I download preware?
    You also need the 800mhz kernel from caj2008. Faster makes it easier to use and will keep you and your folks from getting frustrated by making the UI crisp.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    A Day Without Preware, Is like a Day without Sunshine Pilgram!
    Must have
    It would be like going to Red Lobster and ordering chicken. Not that I like Red Lobster...but I do love my Pre.
    Do I need the app?
    You certainly don't *need* preware by any means. Your Pre Plus will run hotspot for free (up to 5GB) all by itself, and the rest of the phone will function as is from the factory.

That said, preware is relatively painless to add and there are features that you can then modify to change the way the phone operates so it is more to your liking.

-Suntan
    Features and access to other app catalogs, themes, etc. without any real risk. If something were to happen to your phone you'd just restore it.
    There is one bad thing (or good thing) about preware, it's addictive! I'm always checking to see if there is a new program, patch or theme. Love my Pre!
    Right now you may feel that you don't WANT IT!
    HOWEVER i can guarantee 100% that you NEED IT!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    webos can NOT live without preware it's makes the phone so much better espically with al the patches and themes they have I dunno if the kernel yu may wanna look up on it 1st
  20.    #20  
    Got it and now I understand the YES!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast