1.    #1  
    I want the google skymap ap -- someone showed me this ap on a droid and it is the first thing that i have envied on another phone -- it is a really cool ap -- any chance for a web os version?

http://www.google.com/sky/skymap/
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    i think it would require a compass, which no webos device has.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by samid View Post
    i think it would require a compass, which no webos device has.
    i think the compas is part of the ap and is powered by the GPS --
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    no definitely needs a hardware compass
    I want google sky also. I think it is cool, but to bad the pre does not have an internal compass cause that would be needed along with GPS side by side. I wonder if it can be hacked to just Reilly on the pres solo GPS, but I'm sure scanning the sky as you are turning would not be as good
    Gps would only work: if you were walking quickly around, hold the phone directly in front of you.

To just turn it side to side to pan the sky absolutely requires a hardware compass.
    GPS isn't required, but a compass would be to have the "point and show" feature. However, it could be done without a compass, but then it wouldn't have the "cool factor".
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Even though we dont have a compass, Google Sky does have "free look" mode where you dont actually have to turn to scan the sky. Just that would be an awesome app!!
    Thread Hijacked by the Compass Crew

Since highschool physics has been a while ago and Phones don't use needle compasses anyway, what's the chances of getting Palm devices with a built-in compass? You know, because they're actually designed to be put on a magnet every day, just to charge. Would that bork the compass at some point, or can a digital compass simply be "recalibrated"?

I know I could live without using a compass-activated app while my phone is charging on its touchstone, and I know that I could probably live without a compass in my phone (since the one killer app for it I've come across is navigation while walking around, which sure is helpful but doesn't make or break a deal, at least for me) - but to go without a touchstone, no matter how small a thing it seems, would be quite a downgrade in my opinion.
    when will we get an upgrade of google maps?
    also i miss google street view
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhol View Post
    when will we get an upgrade of google maps?
    also i miss google street view
    google maps for webos sucks and google is focused on android -- imagine that --
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    i waiting for street view also.
    A hardware compass would be useful for several apps:
    augmented reality/streetview
    better navigation tracking at low speeds
    geocaching
    It sounds like a fun little app that you would use a few times, unless you are sailing across the oceans in the 1800's, I see little use for the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    It sounds like a fun little app that you would use a few times, unless you are sailing across the oceans in the 1800's, I see little use for the app.
    It's like the "mighty" Shazam. Used in the beginning, and occasionally to show off but of little practical effective use. (also know as a gimmick app).

I made a post several weeks back where I polled several dozen iPhone and Android users on Shazam and Goggles and both apps saw little use after the initial download. Not "killer" apps for sure.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    you must not go camping or spend a lot of time outside with your kids do you

come on turn off the tv and computer -- go outside and look up ---
    besides i said i want it -- you are free to not want it welcome to america
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+