Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not an avid reader, but I couldn't imagine trying to read a 400 page novel on a Pre.

Clicking or scrolling every 15 seconds for an hour or whatever seems like it would be difficult to enjoy.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Not for me... The screen is too small and the battery is too weak for it.
    I am currently reading "The Art of War" it is great for me because the phone is always with me and I can read any time I want. great for me.
    I used to think so, but then I started fiddling around with preader and now it's like, I want an ebook of everything! But I'm not going to pay ebook prices. Seriously, I could find the same book at the store for two dollars less and going for an additional 30% off. Thus, I operate off the generous donations of others.

pReader's got an autoscrolling feature also, so you don't have to click as much.
    I use Kobo a lot, despite its quirks, and while it is almost constant clicking like you say, it doesn't bother me. It's no worse than the hand cramp I always get from holding open a paperback one-handed. And it fits in my pocket a lot better.
    I've read on Treo screens in the past, and while I'm not really a fan of the ebook software on the Pre yet, the fact that it's on that small of a screen isn't an issue for me in general.

I mean obviously I prefer larger screens for reading (switched from my Treo for ebooks to a Nokia 4.3" n800, and then to a 10" HP TC1100 tablet PC), but for sheer convenience, nothing beats a device you have with you at all times.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I read constantly on my Pre. I use both Kobo and pReader. I get a ton of reading in that I never used to. I grab a chapter here and there. I use the black background with white text and it's much less harsh. Plus, I throw music on in the background with my in ears, keep my twitter open, etc. My ADD causes me to jump around quite a bit, so my Pre allows me to keep rollin.

I've read 6 of the Jason Bourne books on my Pre no problem. Having 6 or 7 books at my fingertips keeps reading interesting. I'd never go back to paper or even an ereader.
    I read a few books on my Centro, I have yet to do the same thing with my Pre. I just haven't found a book to read on it yet.
    I tried using pReader, but the format is too small for me. So I got a Barnes & Noble Nook instead. It's got more than 300 books loaded on it that I got free from the Project Gutenberg site (classics, etc):

Main Page - Gutenberg
    I've read a half dozen books on KOBO and love it. screen is small but it's easy to read. I used to read all the time on my old Sony Clie as well so I'm somewhat used to reading on a smaller screen. The only thing that I don't like about reading on KOBO is that illustrations and pictures are not included with the books.
    I use my Pre extensively as an eReader and couldn't be much happier with it.

On the other hand, you will find me rotting under a sheet of rich soil before I spend my hard-earned Euros on downloading public domain books as separate apps if I can just as easily download them from Project Gutenberg for the sweet price of absolutely free and read them on pReader.

If there's any audience to all of those book apps I'm seeing in the App Catalog, there shouldn't be. And to whomsoever likes to spend money on a free resource: I'm willing to part with a few bottles of common air for you to breathe from. Just contact me for price info.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 04/21/2010 at 08:51 AM.
    pReader is a nice piece of software. I've read quite a few books on it. It's on par with pretty much every other reader software I've used in the past from Palm Reader to Microsoft Reader.
    I have been a big fan of reading books since the Treo. Very convenient. PReader is great. Also the Barnes and Noble site has books cheaper than the Fictionwise ereader site (even though B&N owns both), but you can't download directly frm the B&N site. Really wish there was an app for Kindle books on the Pre.
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I use my Pre extensively as an eReader and couldn't be much happier with it.

On the other hand, you will find me rotting under a sheet of rich soil before I spend my hard-earned Euros on downloading public domain books as separate apps if I can just as easily download them from Project Gutenberg for the sweet price of absolutely free and read them on pReader.

If there's any audience to all of those book apps I'm seeing in the App Catalog, there shouldn't be. And to whomsoever likes to spend money on a free resource: I'm willing to part with a few bottles of common air for you to breathe from. Just contact me for price info.
    Free books are always nice, but I prefer to read recently released books, not just books who's copyrights have expired.
    I love ebooks and read them on my other Palms so the Pre screen is fine. pReader is a very nice app and turned sideways, has a fair amount of text per page, and also has auto scroll.

I get my books from ebooks for your iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile Smartphone, Palm Treo and Centro, Symbian Mobile Phones and more - Over 60,000 Titles and counting! . Not always cheap, but a lot of great and new books. I just figured out that you can go to you bookshelf in ereader.com and download a .pbd book directly to you Pre and also purchase them from the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    Free books are always nice, but I prefer to read recently released books, not just books who's copyrights have expired.
    That's cool because you can also read newly released eBooks on pReader, it doesn't check for age. This thread was about whether anybody is using the book apps, and I have yet to come across a 'new book' app (i.e. an app that's a newly released book) in our catalog. I only see old public-domain stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    I have been a big fan of reading books since the Treo. Very convenient. PReader is great. Also the Barnes and Noble site has books cheaper than the Fictionwise ereader site (even though B&N owns both), but you can't download directly frm the B&N site. Really wish there was an app for Kindle books on the Pre.
    I thought pReader could open Kindle files.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    I thought pReader could open Kindle files.
    There's two types of Kindle files, Mobi-based, and Topaz. The Mobi-based ones are cracked so that you can remove the DRM. After you've done that, it can then read the standard Mobipocket book you're left with.

Topaz hasn't been cracked, so you can't read those ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    There's two types of Kindle files, Mobi-based, and Topaz. The Mobi-based ones are cracked so that you can remove the DRM. After you've done that, it can then read the standard Mobipocket book you're left with.

Topaz hasn't been cracked, so you can't read those ones.
    How do you tell which is which? Can you tell before buying a kindle book?How do you remove the DRM? Where does the computer store Kindle files?
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    How do you tell which is which? Can you tell before buying a kindle book?How do you remove the DRM? Where does the computer store Kindle files?
    Apparently I was mistaken and it is now possible to remove Topaz DRM, though I haven't tried it.

Last I remember, if you open up the file in a text editor you'll see either BOOKMOBI or TPZ in the header.

Last I checked about 6 months ago, if it had the file size showing on the Amazon page, it was one format, and if it didn't, it was the other.

As for actually removing the DRM, try Google. As it's a bit of a gray area legally, methods and utilities can't really be shared here. There's a site by "Apprentice Alf" that should help you out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast