Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    It looks like Google Docs is evolving away from direct CSS and HTML access. Does that affect Scratch at all? Will we have any problem if/when we make the switch?
    Tom:

From what I see, Google Docs is just moving towards richer controls for editing the document in the browser. But, even if they do go to something like WordML, so long as they export to HTML Scratch will still be able to import them.

CSS formatting and Google Docs can be a little bit tricky, esp. if you have custom CSS. It's just not a good part of the API at the moment.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
  2.    #62  
    Your formatting SHOULD be coming through largely intact, with the most recent update.

Before Scratch let you add custom formatting, it would strip out any formatting from any input. Now, the only things it strips out on input are <iframe>, <head>, <script>, and standalone <style> tags.

In-line formatting, either with CSS style attributes or <b> tags, should import cleanly. If you have a google docs app that is losing all of its formatting, I would be very interesting in seeing a copy so i can figure out where the problem is.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Working great.

It'd be nice to see the categories collapsable.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    is it possible to export to GoogDocs a file you had previously imported (and then edited)? right now its not letting me do it. and if i copy the text into a new scratch i can export but i lose all my formatting. am i missing a step?
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by dw27 View Post
    is it possible to export to GoogDocs a file you had previously imported (and then edited)? right now its not letting me do it. and if i copy the text into a new scratch i can export but i lose all my formatting. am i missing a step?
    Possible? Absolutely. Difficult due to some madding incompatibility between how webkit *******izes empty <span> tags, how Scratch applies advanced formatting, and the Google Docs API? Sadly, yes.

(I'm guessing that you're applying formatting to selections within your document, making it change bit by bit, and then when you upload it either hangs or gives you an incomprehensible error. If not, shoot me an email -- your experience could help me fix it for everybody.)
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

New Scratch update now available in the App Catalog! First of all, thanks! 2nd, mind posting the whats new/release notes?

Update: Nevermind, just realized you have the release notes inside of the Help option in the app itself. Thanks!
    Last edited by volcom45; 05/12/2010 at 02:05 PM.
    Hi - I downloaded Scratch, but the Google docs import doesn't work for me at all. Every time I try I get the error message "Invalid Login" but it's not true - I'm using my correct info.

I see other people have had problems with this too. Any fix yet? Google Docs import is really the only reason I bought this program !!!
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    How can I highlight (with a color) a selection of text? I am unclear on how to use the text formatting. Any plans to make it a bit more obvious? Please help. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by bondfast View Post
    Hi - I downloaded Scratch, but the Google docs import doesn't work for me at all. Every time I try I get the error message "Invalid Login" but it's not true - I'm using my correct info.

I see other people have had problems with this too. Any fix yet? Google Docs import is really the only reason I bought this program !!!

I bought the program this morning after purchasing Cloudocs. So far, I can import from and export to my Google Docs account with no issues.

Right now I definitely prefer Scratch.

How can I open existing documents (Word) already on my phone that were emailed to me and upload/export them to Google Docs?
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 05/24/2010 at 12:40 PM.
    So how come google doc import/export doesn't work at all for me? I really wish the developer would respond to my emails ...
    Is there a way to indent a numbered list? What I would like to do is like an outline view
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bondfast View Post
    So how come google doc import/export doesn't work at all for me? I really wish the developer would respond to my emails ...
    by any chance do you have bullets in the document that will not export to google docs? I have been playing around with it and for some reason if I remove the bullet from the doc it exports successfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by MKTrek View Post
    by any chance do you have bullets in the document that will not export to google docs? I have been playing around with it and for some reason if I remove the bullet from the doc it exports successfully.
    No, I'm making a simple test document with no formatting. I enter my exact login info as it should be. I hit "Save to Google Docs" & the Palm busy wheel just goes around & around & around ....

When I try to import documents, I get the error "Invalid Login". Unless I'm doing something basically wrong or have missed a step, then it's plain not working. And the developer has still not responded to me.

Again, the app Google Account Search works fine with the exact same login info.
    Planesdragon, when can we expect a new version? It seems no new features have been added since I purchased this, when you promised a bunch of stuff like spell check, etc. There is an app called Notez which has added the same formatting options Scratch offers combined with its ability to add pictures and video clips. It also now syncs with Google Docs. It costs $2 less. I'm starting to wish I'd bought that instead. I sure hope you have a nice new release coming soon with some much needed features like the ability to organize our scratches into groups and password protect them if necessary. Any update?
    Thanks.
  15.    #75  
    a new version is in the works, when i'm not stuck answering support emails.

Notes looks like a fine app -- that doesn't let you import, doesn't export it's images, and is from the sort of developer who thinks you don't know the diference between a penny and a dollar.

I'll do more work on Scratch this week. Some on figuring out the recurring "invalid atom xml error", and some on adding new features. (hmm... Spell check... Undo... Default format... )
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    a new version is in the works, when i'm not stuck answering support emails.

Notes looks like a fine app -- that doesn't let you import, doesn't export it's images, and is from the sort of developer who thinks you don't know the diference between a penny and a dollar.

I'll do more work on Scratch this week. Some on figuring out the recurring "invalid atom xml error", and some on adding new features. (hmm... Spell check... Undo... Default format... )
    All features the dev, like you, is promising to address and is actually from the sort of developer who does listen to requests. Honestly, the two apps are not even in the same realm of apps imo or they're at least not marketed as such. Notes is pretty much a notes app, but you can use it as a document editor if you choose, and as such has media features that Scratch does not. For someone who wants a Notes app and not a document editor, it is a great app for people who, believe it or not, know what they want and not to pay $2 more for features they don't need. I don't even use your app, but seriously, no need to go slagging off on other devs and their apps.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Planesdragon, when can we expect a new version? It seems no new features have been added since I purchased this, when you promised a bunch of stuff like spell check, etc. There is an app called Notez which has added the same formatting options Scratch offers combined with its ability to add pictures and video clips. It also now syncs with Google Docs. It costs $2 less. I'm starting to wish I'd bought that instead. I sure hope you have a nice new release coming soon with some much needed features like the ability to organize our scratches into groups and password protect them if necessary. Any update?
    Thanks.
    I can't answer for Planesdragon, (who is probably at work right now), but I can say that if you are referring to the App "Notes", while a very nice project, it will not currently "Sync" with the Google docs cloud. The latest version is a first move in that direction - one can send his/her "Notes" to google docs but pictures/movies are stripped out:
    ***** New in 1.1.0 ***** You can now export/backup your notes to Google Docs. Currently, only the notes are exported to Google Docs (embedded pictures are excluded). Coming soon: Ability to import notes, exporting embedded media, and more enhancement features!***.
    You were probably looking at the author's stated intent for future development? It will not currently import - also the current cost of "Notes" is $3.99 - I plan to stick with Scratch until there is something definitively better in place. In the mean time it is the tool I use.

Used Scratch this morning to Import a 3,500 word document from the cloud, edit it, then ran into a problem exporting back up to my google docs account. Used Export | Email to send a copy to myself - later on will suck that up into Firefox and save it on google docs manually. It will be a lot handier when this works in the expected manner, but the problem (at least to me) appears to be on the server end.... Lots of new stuff in the pipeline from Google but it has to be frustrating for Application Authors.

Right now the API for Google Docs must seem to be like shooting at a moving target.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    I can't answer for Planesdragon, (who is probably at work right now), but I can say that if you are referring to the App "Notes", while a very nice project, it will not currently "Sync" with the Google docs cloud. The latest version is a first move in that direction - one can send his/her "Notes" to google docs but pictures/movies are stripped out:You were probably looking at the author's stated intent for future development? It will not currently import - also the current cost of "Notes" is $3.99 - I plan to stick with Scratch until there is something definitively better in place. In the mean time it is the tool I use.

Used Scratch this morning to Import a 3,500 word document from the cloud, edit it, then ran into a problem exporting back up to my google docs account. Used Export | Email to send a copy to myself - later on will suck that up into Firefox and save it on google docs manually. It will be a lot handier when this works in the expected manner, but the problem (at least to me) appears to be on the server end.... Lots of new stuff in the pipeline from Google but it has to be frustrating for Application Authors.

Right now the API for Google Docs must seem to be like shooting at a moving target.
    Yes, I wasn't trying to bash this product by any means. I do like it alot and have used it quite a bit. I just wanted to make sure the dev was going to stay active and deliver some of the features he said were coming and it seems he has been real quiet the last month other than a bug fix release. It can be painful getting spoiled by devs on some apps that are very active delivering updates regularly with new features and then comparing them to others that seem quite stagnant but it sounds like he's working on a new release with some new features so I'm happy..
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Yes, I wasn't trying to bash this product by any means. I do like it alot and have used it quite a bit. I just wanted to make sure the dev was going to stay active and deliver some of the features he said were coming and it seems he has been real quiet the last month other than a bug fix release. It can be painful getting spoiled by devs on some apps that are very active delivering updates regularly with new features and then comparing them to others that seem quite stagnant but it sounds like he's working on a new release with some new features so I'm happy..
    Oh, believe me I understand - what I want is a bit more specific.

I'd be happy now if I could download an existing doc from the cloud, edit it, then upload the changes to my Google Documents account. Unfortunately that last step appears to be broken again. Just tried it with a very basic, (one page), list I created the other day with my web browser - pulled it down with Scratch (no problemo), added two lines, (no problemo), but each time I attempt to Export | Save to Google Docs - I get:

----------
    Scratch Export Error

There was an error exporting your file to Google Documents. 400 Bad Request Google Error Bad Request Your client has issued a malformed or illegal request.

With the Retry / Cancel buttons displayed.
    ----------

In other words, I'm having a hard time building interest in new features until the basic round-trip can be made again with a document originally created in the cloud.

EDITED:
    Oddly, if I originally create the document/list using Scratch, I can upload it to Google Docs, go there and edit it with their editor, go back to my phone and download/update the "local" file - back and forth with no problem. If I create it in the cloud first, that is when my problems get started. I can Import the file - edit it - but cannot export it back.

I still don't believe there is any "fault" here - pretty certain something has changed (yet again) with Google Docs and Scratch will have to play "catch up" with them.

Final EDIT:
    Just created a Test List document on my Google Docs account and cannot download it - showing HTML tags empty and giving error. Something has definitely changed. I am using their "latest Editor" in my Google Docs settings - will try un-checking that and see what happens....
    Last edited by oldgeekster; 06/01/2010 at 05:41 PM.
    Can't wait for this to work. You have done an amazing amount of work. Money in hand waiting for "finished" product.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast