Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Solitaire Collection beta is now ready to download.
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirec....solitairebeta

Freecell is still available in the application catalog, and will remain free.
    Last edited by minego; 05/12/2010 at 10:51 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Oh, and one other feature I'm working on. Autoplay. If you expose a card that can be moved to a home stack, and there are no other cards in play that could be played on it then I'll move it automatically.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Hey Minego -- Brand new Pre user and I've been looking a Solitaire game that had multiple versions in it (Klondike, Spider, Freecell,...). Haven't had any luck finding that, but went ahead and downloaded your Freecell since it is one of my favorite varieties.

To answer your questions, I think a couple of difficulty levels could be cool, but not critical. I do think horizontal play would be very cool as it is tough to get a hold of the right card right now. Save game would be excellent. (Probably automatically so if you flick away the game, when you play it again, it asks if you want to continue your saved game or start new.) Some basic stats would also be cool as would autoplay. Maybe consider an option to change the table background to different colors?

I'll play a few hands when I get a chance and provide any other feedback then. Thanks much for making the app!
    Rgds/Mark M.
    I have an app already called "Precell" -- how does it compare?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    Hey Minego -- Brand new Pre user and I've been looking a Solitaire game that had multiple versions in it (Klondike, Spider, Freecell,...). Haven't had any luck finding that, but went ahead and downloaded your Freecell since it is one of my favorite varieties.

To answer your questions, I think a couple of difficulty levels could be cool, but not critical. I do think horizontal play would be very cool as it is tough to get a hold of the right card right now. Save game would be excellent. (Probably automatically so if you flick away the game, when you play it again, it asks if you want to continue your saved game or start new.) Some basic stats would also be cool as would autoplay. Maybe consider an option to change the table background to different colors?

I'll play a few hands when I get a chance and provide any other feedback then. Thanks much for making the app!
    Great feedback. Thank you.

I think I'll do exactly as you suggest for save game. I think it would be over kill to let you save multiple games. Just keeping state between runs would make more sense.

I like the suggestion of allowing you to change the background color as well. I'll look into that. I'll probably just have a handful of options. A full color chooser may be too complex.

As for the difficulty I'd like to have a "beginner" mode that lets you drag any number of cards at a time regardless of the number of open cells and stacks.

I've also thought about trying to implement spider or klondike, but personally I like freecell a lot more so that got done first.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    I have an app already called "Precell" -- how does it compare?
    Well since I wrote one of them I don't think I could give you an unbiased answer. I think I support all the features that precell does, and I think my control scheme (drag instead of tapping multiple stacks) is nicer.

Please try it out and let me know what you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    Well since I wrote one of them I don't think I could give you an unbiased answer. I think I support all the features that precell does, and I think my control scheme (drag instead of tapping multiple stacks) is nicer.

Please try it out and let me know what you think.
    I downloaded it already but haven't tried playing it yet. Never have been much of a Freecell enthusiast anyhow, prefer Klondike. Haven't found a version of Klondike for the Pre that I really like yet... my favorite previously is SolFree (palmOS) which I can access from Classic, but using Classic seems to be getting more of a pain every day.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Tried it -- Too hard to move cards. Needs work on making cards move better.
    Laissez Faire
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Tried it -- Too hard to move cards. Needs work on making cards move better.
    I have some ideas to improve that. I'll try the ideas out tonight, and upload a new version if I'm able to improve it.
  10.    #10  
    I downloaded it already but haven't tried playing it yet. Never have been much of a Freecell enthusiast anyhow, prefer Klondike. Haven't found a version of Klondike for the Pre that I really like yet... my favorite previously is SolFree (palmOS) which I can access from Classic, but using Classic seems to be getting more of a pain every day.
    If enough people are interested in klondike then I'd be willing to write it. The majority of the code for freecell could be reused for klondike since the games are really very similar.
    Good work. Keep it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    If enough people are interested in klondike then I'd be willing to write it. The majority of the code for freecell could be reused for klondike since the games are really very similar.
    to be attractive to me, it would need to have:

1. Vegas scoring, draw 3, no limit on times through the deck.

2. Cumulative scoring.

3. Unlimited undo.

4. Ability to restart/replay a game.

5. Stats screen: total games played, won, lost, percent won, cumulative score.

SolFree has all of those.
  13.    #13  
    to be attractive to me, it would need to have:

1. Vegas scoring, draw 3, no limit on times through the deck.

2. Cumulative scoring.

3. Unlimited undo.

4. Ability to restart/replay a game.

5. Stats screen: total games played, won, lost, percent won, cumulative score.

SolFree has all of those.
    I think I will do klondike, but it will be a few weeks. I'd like to get freecell really polished first.

1. Yes, this is a must for klondike. I'll probably provide a handful of options for scoring, and how the deck behaves.

2. Yup

3. Yup. I already have this implemented in freecell, and the same code should work just fine for klondike.

5. This is on the todo list for freecell as well.

Would you like to be a beta tester for klondike?
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I've got to agree the moving of cards is tricky. They're pretty small and it seems pretty sensitive to where you drop them to get it right. Makes it kind of tough to play. If you decided to implement landscape, that would help moving also.

I haven't tried any of the klondike varieties out there yet, but would be willing to help test yours if desired. Is anyone aware of a solitaire suite out there for Pre that has klondike, freecell, spider, ...?

JJeffcoat -- I couldn't find precell in the app catalog. Should I be looking somewhere else?
    Rgds/Mark M.
    My absolute favorite PalmOS game was Patience. It had 15 varieties of solitaire, both single and double deck. And they weren't just variations of Golf solitaire.

You could restart a game and had unlimited Undo. It had auto play, too. One of the best features, though, was keyboard shortcuts! N for new game, R to restart, U for undo, A for auto-play, etc.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    1 vote for spider.

will try your freecell to.

just tried it. Would like hilighting of selected card/stack when touched for moving.

and autocomplete of course.
    Last edited by spare; 04/20/2010 at 06:46 PM.
  17.    #17  
    I've got to agree the moving of cards is tricky. They're pretty small and it seems pretty sensitive to where you drop them to get it right. Makes it kind of tough to play. If you decided to implement landscape, that would help moving also.
    Yeah it is a lot to fit on a small screen. I've improved it in the latest version, but can't update the app until palm reviews it. The drag area now includes the empty space between the cards, and the new version is less sluggish, which seems to help a lot.

I am working on landscape mode. I think that will help a lot. I'm planning to move the free cells to the left side of the screen and the home cells to the right. I'll also add a preference to let you lock it in vertical, landscape or horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by acaplinger View Post
    You could restart a game and had unlimited Undo. It had auto play, too. One of the best features, though, was keyboard shortcuts! N for new game, R to restart, U for undo, A for auto-play, etc.
    My freecell lets you restart a game, although I think it is broken in the current version. It'll be fixed in the next version.

It also allows unlimited undo, and auto play is on the way.

I love the idea for keyboard shortcuts. I'll play around with that.

Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    1 vote for spider.

will try your freecell to.

just tried it. Would like hilighting of selected card/stack when touched for moving.

and autocomplete of course.
    So if you drag a card onto another stack you'd like a border, or something to show where you are dragging to? That should be pretty simple. I'll play with it a bit and maybe get it in the next version. That could help a lot.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    So if you drag a card onto another stack you'd like a border, or something to show where you are dragging to? That should be pretty simple. I'll play with it a bit and maybe get it in the next version. That could help a lot.
    That would be good too but the stack that's going to be moved should be hilighted to let one know it's ready to be moved. Sometimes I try to move a stack and it won't move and I think it's because it's not detecting that I've selected it. Hilighting would would a visual cue that I've selected it. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Looking forward to the new version! Just completed/won my first game. I like the auto feature where it figures out what cards to move based on the stack your are moving, but was a little disappointed when it finished that it didn't do some sort of celebration, or at least, acknowledge the game was over. Other than that and the challenge in getting the cards selected for dragging, I didn't hit any issues at all. I also like the double-tap for moving to the home cells.
    Rgds/Mark M.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    That would be good too but the stack that's going to be moved should be hilighted to let one know it's ready to be moved. Sometimes I try to move a stack and it won't move and I think it's because it's not detecting that I've selected it. Hilighting would would a visual cue that I've selected it. Thanks.
    Ok, I'll play with it. Thanks.

Looking forward to the new version! Just completed/won my first game. I like the auto feature where it figures out what cards to move based on the stack your are moving, but was a little disappointed when it finished that it didn't do some sort of celebration, or at least, acknowledge the game was over. Other than that and the challenge in getting the cards selected for dragging, I didn't hit any issues at all. I also like the double-tap for moving to the home cells.
    Yeah I couldn't come up with anything cool. Any ideas?
Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast