Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
  1.    #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    I like your idea of a screen shot per game rather than per variety of each gane. Not sure what is possible and would look nice. Could you have a menu that pops up when you click the screen shot that has the varieties as well as the How to play link? It would be nice if the How to play included a description of what the differences were between all the variations within a game. This way you can keep the new game dialog from getting too busy. Just one approach to consider.
    I like this suggestion a lot. I think I can make that work nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate -- I think for a given game (Klondike, Freecell, etc.), people will pick a variant they like, and stick with it. So, if the screen is taken up with a lot of variants they don't care about, they may find it annoying. And I'd rather see all the other game options, even if they're grayed out because I haven't bought them. (Can you fill the screen first with apps the person has purchased, and have the grayed out ones come last?)

When a user first picks a game (first time ever), perhaps they can be given a choice of the variants, but once a choice is made I think the app should remember it and not ask again. When the user wants to play a different variant, they can choose it in the menu of that game.

That's all based on my first assumption that people pick a variant and stick with it. Is that true?
    I think that is a fair assumption.

I've just added a really cool feature that I expect to make this a lot easier to deal with. While playing a game there is now a menu option to 'Add to Launcher', which will add an icon to the launcher for that specific variant. Using that icon will bypass the 'Choose Game' screen entirely.

You can still select 'Change Game' from the menu, or launch the solitaire icon to get the normal game selection screen. It think if I get a less busy version of the game selection screen in that it will be a very nice combination.

Played a grand total of one game of Klondike -- looking good. VERY minor comments - the un-turned over cards could be stacked tighter to save room. And when the flip cards (I really need to learn the terms) are flipped back to face down, you might as well deal a card (or three) from the top right away.
    Great suggestions. It is easy to change the spacing for faceup vs facedown. So you're saying that when the deck is empty and you tap on it to recycle the waste that it should deal 3 right then? That is easy enough, and I think it would be a nice improvement.
  2.    #162  
    Ok klondike will now automatically deal 3 (or 1 depending on the variant) after you recycle the deck, and has smaller spacing for cards that are face down. Very nice changes, thank you.
    Is the version of freecell in the beta pack different code than the official release of freecell? In the beta version, it's not allowing me to make a legal move. I had 3 free cells, no open tableaus, and I was trying to move a stack of 10(red), 9, 8, 7 onto a black jack. When it wouldn't let me drag the whole stack, I tapped the 7, 8 & 9 onto free cells, and still couldn't move the red 10 to the black jack.

Regards,
    Tom
  4.    #164  
    Is the version of freecell in the beta pack different code than the official release of freecell? In the beta version, it's not allowing me to make a legal move. I had 3 free cells, no open tableaus, and I was trying to move a stack of 10(red), 9, 8, 7 onto a black jack. When it wouldn't let me drag the whole stack, I tapped the 7, 8 & 9 onto free cells, and still couldn't move the red 10 to the black jack.

Regards,
    Tom
    Yeah it is different code. The code all got split out into stuff that is generic for all the solitaire types, and freecell stuff. Thanks for the bug report. I'll go try to reproduce that.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    While you're tracking down bugs ;-), I'm hitting an odd one in Klondike. I have a stack that goes K Q J 8 7. The 10 and 9 are actually in there, they just aren't showing. Originally, the stack ended in a 9 and only the 10 was missing. It shows up the moment I drag the 9 off. Then, when I dragged over the 7 and 8, the 9 disappeared to join its buddy the 10. Haven't tried another game since I've left this one up if you want any other info. The 10 of spades and the 9 of hearts are the invisible cards and it's game 475713 if any of that helps.
    Rgds/Mark M.
  6.    #166  
    While you're tracking down bugs ;-), I'm hitting an odd one in Klondike. I have a stack that goes K Q J 8 7. The 10 and 9 are actually in there, they just aren't showing. Originally, the stack ended in a 9 and only the 10 was missing. It shows up the moment I drag the 9 off. Then, when I dragged over the 7 and 8, the 9 disappeared to join its buddy the 10. Haven't tried another game since I've left this one up if you want any other info. The 10 of spades and the 9 of hearts are the invisible cards and it's game 475713 if any of that helps.
    Ok now that is REALLY weird. I'll try that game right now and see if I can reproduce it.
  7.    #167  
    Ok I'm not having any luck reproducing it. Can you send me a screen shot? You can hit orange+symbol+p to take a screen shot, then go into photos and it'll show up in a folder called "Screen Captures". Please either post it here, or email it to solitaire@minego.net
  8.    #168  
    I am tempted to add the ability to record your moves, and show a dialog that lists all of your moves if you hit some key. That would let me try to reproduce the steps that you guys have taken that got you into these situations.... it may be a bit tricky though...
  9.    #169  

Regards,
    Tom
    Think you could get me a screenshot?
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    Think you could get me a screenshot?
    Just happened to take a screenshot at the time, though it really doesn't show anything interesting. You'll have to take my word for it that the red 10 wouldn't go onto the black jack. I'll send it to your .net e-mail address.

Regards,
    Tom
  11.    #171  
    I got the screen shot. I'll see if I can find anything. I'm hoping that I can get into the same state if I play the same game.
    I can reproduce the behavior I mentioned in Freecell (from Solitaire beta).

Game #641175. Each play below is a tap, except for one drag, as noted.

AS (Ace of Spades)
    3H (3 of Hearts)
    3S
    9C
    8D
    7S
    3D
    5D
    JSJSJS
    JH
    3H
    KD
    KD
    KC
    QS
    KC
    JSJSJS $drag$ $to$ $KC$
    JH

Now, try to drag 10D stack to JSJSJS. $I$ $can$'$t$.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Ok I'm not having any luck reproducing it. Can you send me a screen shot? You can hit orange+symbol+p to take a screen shot, then go into photos and it'll show up in a folder called "Screen Captures". Please either post it here, or email it to solitaire@minego.net
    I knew there was a way to do a screenshot. Thank you for saving me the effort to look it up. I sent the screenshot to your email.
    Rgds/Mark M.
  14.    #174  
    I can reproduce the behavior I mentioned in Freecell (from Solitaire beta).

Game #641175. Each play below is a tap, except for one drag, as noted.

AS (Ace of Spades)
    3H (3 of Hearts)
    3S
    9C
    8D
    7S
    3D
    5D
    JSJSJS
    JH
    3H
    KD
    KD
    KC
    QS
    KC
    JSJSJS $drag$ $to$ $KC$
    JH

Now, try to drag 10D stack to JSJSJS. $I$ $can$'$t$.

Regards,
    Tom
    Sweet, I was able to reproduce it. I think you got diamonds and hearts mixed up in there at one point, which confused me for a bit, but the instructions and the screenshot together where enough. I'm sure I'll be able to find a fix pretty quick.
  15.    #175  
    Ok I think it is a bug when calculating the number of empty free cells and tableaus. It tries to keep track of how many are empty so that it can easily figure out how many cards can be drug to a tableau.
  16.    #176  
    Sweet, I was able to reproduce it. I think you got diamonds and hearts mixed up in there at one point, which confused me for a bit, but the instructions and the screenshot together where enough. I'm sure I'll be able to find a fix pretty quick.
    Ok the freecell bug is fixed! Previously I was trying to make the code a bit more efficient by noticing when an empty stack got cards placed in it, or a stack with cards became empty.... and it seems that some how that count was getting off...

So now after each change, I just count the empty free cells and empty tableaus (at the same point that I save a state for undo) which seems to be MUCH more reliable.

Ok, I'm gonna go back to looking for that klondike bug now.
  17.    #177  
    Ok I've managed to reproduce it.... I haven't figured out what caused it yet, but that it is happening exactly like you described. I can't wait to figure out what is causing this one... it is just weird.
  18.    #178  
    WOO! Found that one and fixed it too! Thanks again mmeltser and TomJ! Those where great bugs. I'd much rather get those fixed now than after releasing the game.

While working on the klondike bug I found another weird bug. Each time the deck was recycled it was in the reversed order. So you'd tap on the deck and get 3C 2S AD then it was out of cards, so tap again and you'd get AD 2S 3C... oops hehe.
  19.    #179  
    Ok I just uploaded a new version of the beta.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Ok I just uploaded a new version of the beta.
    Good news is I can see the update. Bad news is it won't install. I just get install failed. :-(

Edit: Aparently, it's Palm app catalog wide and has nothing to do with the specific app
    Last edited by mmeltser; 05/15/2010 at 04:07 PM.
    Rgds/Mark M.
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast