Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
  1.    #121  
    I've just signed up for precentral's featured apps program. If they like the app then it may get a story on the front page. For that to happen though everyone here needs to let them know how much you all love the app. Please go to http://uploads.precentral.net/app-ga...talog/freecell and rate it. Thanks!
    Found another timer bug in 1.4.13. After winning a game, it appears the timer keeps increasing until you deal a new game.

Regards,
    Tom
  3.    #123  
    haha, nice catch. I finally found the events that get triggered when the app gets put in the background, so I should be able to fix the timer.

Sorry I haven't posted any new builds for a while. I am actually working on cleaning up the code so that I can have multiple solitaire games in the same app. I have klondike working pretty well, and should have spider before too long. I have a bit more work to do, like adding a screen to select a game, and keeping track of stats for different games and stuff.

The code is MUCH cleaner because of all of these changes, but not ready yet.

It will let you play:
    - freecell
    - relaxed freecell
    - klondike (deal 3)
    - klondike (deal 1)
    - Spider
    - Spider (2 suit)
    - Spider (1 suite)

I'd love to add more to that list, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

My plan is to keep freecell free, and charge a few bucks for the solitaire collection.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Very cool. Sorry I haven't had a chance to test recently. Work is seriously interfering with my Freecell time! I like the idea of a collection (like I said originally). I used to play Aces Solitaire on the Blackberry (BlackBerry Solitaire Pack | Electronic Solitaire). I don't think you need to aim for that many games, but it might give you some ideas. About the only other ones I can think of would be Yukon (a variation n Klondike) and maybe Golf. Let us know when you're ready for beta testers. We'll help shake out any hiding bugs.
    Rgds/Mark M.
  5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    Very cool. Sorry I haven't had a chance to test recently. Work is seriously interfering with my Freecell time!
    I know how that goes. My real job has been making it hard for me to find time as well. I am hoping that I'll have a free weekend and make a lot of progress.

I like the idea of a collection (like I said originally). I used to play Aces Solitaire on the Blackberry (BlackBerry Solitaire Pack | Electronic Solitaire). I don't think you need to aim for that many games, but it might give you some ideas. About the only other ones I can think of would be Yukon (a variation n Klondike) and maybe Golf.
    Yukon shouldn't be hard. I haven't played golf, but I'll read up on it. I think I will have plenty of games to justify a $2 or $3 price, and I'll keep adding games over time based on people's requests. I'm sure people will really appreciate getting more after they already paid for the app.

I'm working on a game selection screen that is similar to the bookmarks screen for the web browser. Basically a grid of options, each one with a name, and a screen shot. Each one would also have an info button that would describe how the game works.

Let us know when you're ready for beta testers. We'll help shake out any hiding bugs.
    Thanks! You have all been a huge help, and I really appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    I'm working on a game selection screen that is similar to the bookmarks screen for the web browser. Basically a grid of options, each one with a name, and a screen shot. Each one would also have an info button that would describe how the game works.
    That's an awesome idea for the game selector. If you get more than will nicely fit on 1 or 2 screens, maybe you could have a "Select game" list view on which you could flag favorites. Games flagged as favorites would show up on the front screen.
    Rgds/Mark M.
    I'd love to add more to that list, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
    I used to play a lot of Canfield on my Palm Tx (it went by its British name, Demon, in the Sol Free collection of solitaire games). Here's a pic of it in Pre Classic -- definitely needs the full screen of the Tx or native Pre.

Canfield.jpg

You can see where I got spoiled by large card fonts!

Regards,
    Tom
  8.    #128  
    That's an awesome idea for the game selector. If you get more than will nicely fit on 1 or 2 screens, maybe you could have a "Select game" list view on which you could flag favorites. Games flagged as favorites would show up on the front screen.
    Ooh, I like the idea of favorites. I could probably even make it automatic. The more often you play a game the more likely it is to show up on the top.
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    I used to play a lot of Canfield on my Palm Tx (it went by its British name, Demon, in the Sol Free collection of solitaire games). Here's a pic of it in Pre Classic -- definitely needs the full screen of the Tx or native Pre.

Canfield.jpg

You can see where I got spoiled by large card fonts!

Regards,
    Tom
    k, Canfield is now on the list of solitaire games to research.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Getting caught up on the posts... few things to comment on:

1 - I'm going to respectfully disagree with spare. I prefer a "no moves remaining" warning. I don't think the warning needs to be a popup, but I like to see it nonetheless. Could the warning be a message across the bottom similar to or as a bolded entry on the timer line?

2 - I'm not seeing a game number on the timer line. I'm using the current beta. Should I be seeing it?

3 - I love the highlighted aces and lowest cards. Sort of feels like cheating a bit, but makes the game so much easier. Could the highlighting be made an option, for players who want a little more of a challenge?

4 - Klondike would be a most welcome addition. My favorite is Freecell, but I like a game of Klondike on occasion. I also play Pyramid, and I'd be willing to try Canfield. I've already posted how I feel about Spider.

5 - This last point is so silly feel free to ignore me, but could the beta app title say it's a beta? I have both versions loaded for comparison purposes, and it appears on the launcher that I've loaded the same app twice.

Thanks for everything. I've posted a rating of the app.
  11.    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_girl View Post
    Getting caught up on the posts... few things to comment on:

1 - I'm going to respectfully disagree with spare. I prefer a "no moves remaining" warning. I don't think the warning needs to be a popup, but I like to see it nonetheless. Could the warning be a message across the bottom similar to or as a bolded entry on the timer line?
    I had a feeling that some people would feel this way. I'll see what I can do, but this may be a while. It can be rather tricky, and I'd like to make sure I do it right. I like the suggestion for putting it on the bottom. I think that is much nicer than popping up a dialog.

2 - I'm not seeing a game number on the timer line. I'm using the current beta. Should I be seeing it?
    Yeah you should. That is odd. Are you starting a random game, or starting by number? Either should show it.

3 - I love the highlighted aces and lowest cards. Sort of feels like cheating a bit, but makes the game so much easier. Could the highlighting be made an option, for players who want a little more of a challenge?
    I plan on adding an option to disable it. I'll likely leave it enabled by default.

4 - Klondike would be a most welcome addition. My favorite is Freecell, but I like a game of Klondike on occasion. I also play Pyramid, and I'd be willing to try Canfield. I've already posted how I feel about Spider.
    I've never played Pyramid either, but it doesn't look too complex.

5 - This last point is so silly feel free to ignore me, but could the beta app title say it's a beta? I have both versions loaded for comparison purposes, and it appears on the launcher that I've loaded the same app twice.
    That isn't silly at all. It is a GREAT suggestion. I've had the same problem actually. I've just been too lazy to change it. I'll make sure it is renamed for the next beta update.

Thanks for everything. I've posted a rating of the app.
    Thank you! I really appreciate the reviews.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Yeah you should. That is odd. Are you starting a random game, or starting by number? Either should show it.
    I started a new game and now I see the number when starting a random game and when starting one by number. I wonder if I upgraded to the latest version with a game in progress, and didn't realize it. Perhaps that why I wasn't getting the game number?
  13.    #133  
    If you resumed a game that was already in progress then it wouldn't show up. With the previous version I didn't store the game number, so I don't have any way to know what number it was. So that makes sense.
  14.    #134  
    I've just submitted version 1.5 to palm for the app catalog. It is the beta with a fix for the timer when the app is in the background. I'm hoping that this is the last version that is standalone freecell.

I'm making pretty good progress on the solitaire collection. When it is complete I'll submit it, and I'll submit a new version of freecell that is based on that code base. Since freecell will be free I'll include the game selection screen, with all the other games greyed out. If you tap on one of them then it will take you to the app catalog for the full version.
  15.    #135  
    Hey, does anyone out there have a talent for video editting? I'd like to put a video preview of freecell in the app catalog. Anyone feel like helping?
    Sorry, no video skills here, but congrats on finishing up 1.5! I'll be watching for it. And, I like your idea about combining games in a pack, with Freecell as the free starter.

Regards,
    Tom
  17.    #137  
    I'll probably upload a VERY alpha version of the solitaire collection some time this weekend. I currently have a game selection screen working, and you can actually play klondike. The funny thing is that it doesn't yet support freecell. I started with klondike, (wanted a new challenge) and haven't got freecell in yet.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Really looking forward to the "alpha". Meanwhile, I've been playing a little freecell. Hit one that struck me as either a bug or the proverbial "missing feature". I won a game and the dialog box came up. I wanted to see my stats so I tried to do so, but I couldn't do anything until I told it to deal again. I think there should be a way to see your stats after playing a game. What do you think?
    Rgds/Mark M.
  19.    #139  
    Really looking forward to the "alpha". Meanwhile, I've been playing a little freecell. Hit one that struck me as either a bug or the proverbial "missing feature". I won a game and the dialog box came up. I wanted to see my stats so I tried to do so, but I couldn't do anything until I told it to deal again. I think there should be a way to see your stats after playing a game. What do you think?
    Yeah that is a good idea. I'll play with the dialog and see if I can make that work.

I haven't made as much progress as I had hoped on the solitaire collection alpha. It may take me a few more days to get something that is ready to play.
  20.    #140  
    Ok I've got that working now. The dialog now shows a "View Statistics" button when you win a game. Using it won't close the dialog, so you can view your statistics and then go back to the dialog to start a new game.
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast