Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    Stats wise, I personally think you don't need to go quite as far as keeping every game. How about overall number of games played, won, lost, percentage, average playing time and a reset to clear stats. Possibly include same stats for the different difficulty levels, but I'm not sure that's critical. I don't play them by number, so I cant tell you if a list of played games by number is critical. I would think it could get long fairly fast for people who really like the game which are the ones most likely to look at stats. I'd get concerned how big the game would get if you add in stats for every games, charting, etc.

Anyone else out there trying any version of Freecell besides TomJ and I? What do you think about the statistics in the game? You've got a developer willing to implement it the way users want. Now's the time to speak up and support this type of developer. (OK, I'll get off my soapbox )
    As long as I only keep a few values per game I don't think it will be a problem. Say I store 5 integers for each game you play. Thats 20 bytes per game. So if you play 1000 games then it'll take 20k (plus a bit of overhead for the HTML5 db, but it shouldn't be bad). So, 10000 games and it'll take 200k. I think that is reasonable.

Keeping track of that much data may be hard, but it will mean that I can do some cool stuff. For example, if you have the game set to random then I can make sure it picks a game number that you haven't already played. If you enter a game number that you have already played then I can show you the result of the last time you played it in that dialog. So, say you've already beat game #1, and you enter #1 again. It can show something like "You finished game #1 in 13 minutes, 5 seconds. Can you do better this time?"

Ooh, I just thought of another cool idea. I can add another value to the new game dialog to let you play games sequentially. So each time you finish a game the dialog will start the next game for you. This should make it a lot easier for people who want to play through all the games in order.
  2.    #102  
    Woo! Freecell has just past 10,000 downloads!!!

With a bit of luck I may even manage to get onto the hot apps leader board soon:
    Palm Hot Apps
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    As long as I only keep a few values per game I don't think it will be a problem. Say I store 5 integers for each game you play. Thats 20 bytes per game. So if you play 1000 games then it'll take 20k (plus a bit of overhead for the HTML5 db, but it shouldn't be bad). So, 10000 games and it'll take 200k. I think that is reasonable.

Keeping track of that much data may be hard, but it will mean that I can do some cool stuff. For example, if you have the game set to random then I can make sure it picks a game number that you haven't already played. If you enter a game number that you have already played then I can show you the result of the last time you played it in that dialog. So, say you've already beat game #1, and you enter #1 again. It can show something like "You finished game #1 in 13 minutes, 5 seconds. Can you do better this time?"

Ooh, I just thought of another cool idea. I can add another value to the new game dialog to let you play games sequentially. So each time you finish a game the dialog will start the next game for you. This should make it a lot easier for people who want to play through all the games in order.
    I didn't think the stats would be of much interest, personally, but every last one of those ideas sounds great! I think there would be A LOT of people that would not only appreciate that, but be very impressed with the capability, including the ability to play games sequentially, and replay a game for a time-challenge. And now, me too!

And, congrats on going over 10k! I think this one's gonna keep climbing fast, considering all the new stuff since the last official release.

Regards,
    Tom
    p.s. Did I accidentally send multiple PMs? I didn't see them show up in my Sent box, then realized I hadn't checked the "keep a copy" box. D'Oh!
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    I didn't think the stats would be of much interest, personally, but every last one of those ideas sounds great! I think there would be A LOT of people that would not only appreciate that, but be very impressed with the capability, including the ability to play games sequentially, and replay a game for a time-challenge. And now, me too!

And, congrats on going over 10k! I think this one's gonna keep climbing fast, considering all the new stuff since the last official release.

Regards,
    Tom
    p.s. Did I accidentally send multiple PMs? I didn't see them show up in my Sent box, then realized I hadn't checked the "keep a copy" box. D'Oh!

Originally I didn't think that stats would matter much, but the more I think about it the more I like the idea. It just means having a lot more data to do cool things with. I'm working on the first go at it right now. If it goes pretty smooth then I'll post an update to the beta later today.

Yeah you sent the message twice. No big deal.
  5.    #105  
    Ugg, keeping track of the time spent on a game is proving tricky. I'm having a hard time deciding what should be counted. If you switch to another app and leave freecell in the background do I pause the timer? Do I pause the timer if the screen is turned off?

Also I'd like to count the moves. I think I'm going to count each drag and each tap as 1 move. So if you drag 4 cards that is still one action, and if cards are auto played that won't be counted.
  6.    #106  
    Ok, I've got a timer working, and a move count working. For now I'm going to leave the timer running if the game is in the background, and if you close the app then the time will be resumed from when you made your last move if you restart.

I've also updated the status text. It now looks something like:

Game #10931. 43 cards remaining. 00:03:30

The card remaining count updates whenever you move a card into the foundations, and the timer updates every second.
    Ugg, keeping track of the time spent on a game is proving tricky. I'm having a hard time deciding what should be counted. If you switch to another app and leave freecell in the background do I pause the timer? Do I pause the timer if the screen is turned off?
    Keep in mind, all comments are made with no understanding of the work needed to implement: Yes, pause the timer for all cases you mentioned, and any others that seem reasonable.

Also I'd like to count the moves. I think I'm going to count each drag and each tap as 1 move. So if you drag 4 cards that is still one action, and if cards are auto played that won't be counted.
    Wow, that's ambitious! But, yes, I think your "scoring" sounds reasonable. If one gets themselves into a situation where they can drag more cards at once, they should get that benefit.

Regards,
    Tom
    [Just saw your last post. Re:timing, what you're doing for now is fine, too.]
  8.    #108  
    I'll probably switch it so that it pauses the timer when the game isn't in the foreground. I just haven't figured out how yet hehe. I know there is a callback, or an event when I loose focus, but I can't find it in palm's docs. I'll post a new version of the beta tomorrow so you guys can play with all of this. I'd post it now, but I have to leave for a poker game.

I'll need to add a new dialog to let you see more of your stats. Something that shows the percentage of games that you have won, how long your winning streak has been etc.
  9.    #109  
    Ok, I posted a new beta, 1.4.12. This includes some basic stats stuff, but doesn't yet have a stats screen.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I can do without the no more moves popup.

back when I was really into freecell I tried the freecell challenge and went through a list of hard games I found online. The list was huge so being able to track which games you've beat is nice.

I think some play with limited freecells on purpose as a challenge to.

just throwing out ideas. Would have no problem with you starting your next app now.
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    I can do without the no more moves popup.
    Good. Unless I get a lot of requests for it I'm going to leave it out.

back when I was really into freecell I tried the freecell challenge and went through a list of hard games I found online. The list was huge so being able to track which games you've beat is nice.
    I'm working on the list now. Have I given you the beta link? I'd love to let you try out the stats stuff I'm finishing now and get some feedback from you.

I think some play with limited freecells on purpose as a challenge to.
    Interesting idea. I've seen a few other freecell implementations that do that, but never seen one on a mobile device that does that. I'll have to think about it. There isn't anything very difficult about making it work, but I'm not sure how I'd do the UI for it. Would you want an item in preferences for the number of freecells (0-4)? If I add that I'd want to make sure that the stats for that game reflect that you only played with 2 freecells, or 1 etc.

just throwing out ideas. Would have no problem with you starting your next app now.
    hehe. I've been thinking about that. I think once I have a working statistics screen done I'll start working on Klondike and Spider. I wish I had more time to spend on web os apps. I've also got a half finished app called "Transmission Remote" that lets you control the transmission bit torrent client from your phone, and I've got a bunch of ideas for other apps.... maybe some day I'll find some time.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    yeah I have the beta link.

I think the limited freecell is only of interest to a limited number of players so I wouldn't put a lot of time in it. There are plenty of hard freecell games as is.
  13.    #113  
    Ok, I've updated the beta once again (1.4.13). There is now a 'statistics' menu item, which will show you some general stats, and will show a list of the games you have won and a list of the games you have lost. I'm hoping to release this version. I'd like to submit it to palm tonight. So, I'd appreciate it if you can all try to find any bugs for me.

I think this is pretty much feature complete. I can't think of any significant features that I've missed. If you'd like anything else added please suggest it.
    Just downloaded v.13, but in the interest of time, here are some comments I've collected:

1. I noticed there's still some phantom resumable game when starting the app after winning the last game. That was in v.11 or v.12, but I see on the stats screen in v.13 that my fastest win was in 3sec. I wonder if those two are related? The problem, of course, is that's going to be a hard time to beat, and so will be persistent.

2. Maybe include # of moves on screen along with time & # of cards. (You'll have to abbreviate some text.)

3. The flashing of the aces at the start is almost unnoticeable. You could either go straight to shaded (which is more noticeable), or flash darker, before going to the less-dark shading.

That's all I got. Good luck with the update - it's looking great!
    More info:

Phantom resumable games persist in v1.4.13. And, when I resume the game by tapping a card so autoplay refinishes the game, the game time increases by that amount.

My best time of 3 sec. had a game # of "undefined".

Regards,
    Tom
    Hey, when did the font get bigger?! It's really nice - much easier to see. I can't believe I didn't notice until now. It just dawned on me how it used to be harder to see, then I opened up the non-beta, which looks anemic by comparison. My eyes thank you!

I reset my stats, and everythings ok so far, given what I mentioned above.

Regards,
    Tom
    Me again. It desperately needs a timer pause. There's no good time to go check stats, prefs, etc., without the clock ticking.

Regards,
    Tom
  18.    #118  
    Thanks for the awesome testing Tom. I really appreciate it.

So, list of issues before a release:
    1) The timer needs to pause when the game is in the background, or another screen is up (such as preferences) and when the screen is off.
    2) Flashing needs to be more obvious. I like your idea about the darker color.
    3) Display the number of moves in the status text at the bottom of the screen. I may have to break it into 2 lines in vertical mode.

I'm not surprised that you had some odd behaviors with the stats before you reset. The last few versions had most of stats, but it changed a bit. If you get any weird behaviors again please let me know right away.
  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Hey, when did the font get bigger?! It's really nice - much easier to see. I can't believe I didn't notice until now. It just dawned on me how it used to be harder to see, then I opened up the non-beta, which looks anemic by comparison. My eyes thank you!
    I thought you would like that. I was tempted to mention it, but I thought it would be more fun to see if you noticed. I tried doing some fancy things with the suit on the top of the card as well. I had a really nice looking card where the small suit on the top was part way off the card like the big one. It looked really nice on a single card. It looked horrid on a stack though. On a stack of black cards it just looked like a stripe.
    Thanks for the awesome testing Tom. I really appreciate it.
    My pleasure! I earned some couch time yesterday -- might as well put it to good use.

So, list of issues before a release:
    3) Display the number of moves in the status text at the bottom of the screen. I may have to break it into 2 lines in vertical mode.
    It might be nice if it stayed at 1 line -- something like:
    Game #9999999 Cards:52 Moves:46 00:00:00

One thing I just noticed: when the game first starts up, this status line briefly shows garbage. Not a huge deal, but....
    I'm not surprised that you had some odd behaviors with the stats before you reset. The last few versions had most of stats, but it changed a bit. If you get any weird behaviors again please let me know right away.
    Yeah, that makes sense.

I tried doing some fancy things...It looked horrid on a stack though... it just looked like a stripe.
    Oh, yeah, of course. Well, it really looks good now -- the suits are very discernible, as are the numbers.

Regards,
    Tom