Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
  1.    #61  
    This is a bit selfish of me to ask, but if any of you like the game (or dislike it even) and haven't posted a review in the app catalog, please do.

The early versions of the game had some big problems, and so my rating dropped down to 3 stars. I feel that the recent updates warrant a better rating than that. The rating makes a big difference to the number of people downloading the game.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    I changed the auto play so it doesn't trigger until you move the first card. This was actually a side effect of a bug fix, but I kinda prefer it, so I left the behavior.
    Yeah, I actually like it this way, too. Otherwise, it feels like the game is starting without you.

Re: showing where aces are at the start. Maybe an easier implementation would be to just show which tableaus hold aces. You could highlight the entire tableau using your existing highlighting routine; either one at a time, or flash all together three times....

Regards,
    Tom
    p.s. thanks for the reminder to rate the game -- not a selfish request at all! Spoiler alert: I obviously like the game!
    Last edited by TomJ; 04/29/2010 at 04:14 PM.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Re: showing where aces are at the start. Maybe an easier implementation would be to just show which tableaus hold aces. You could highlight the entire tableau using your existing highlighting routine; either one at a time, or flash all together three times....
    I'm worried that if I flash the whole tableau that it won't be clear why it is flashing. I'm thinking about starting with the aces red, and then they fade back to white over a few seconds, or something along those lines. I'll play with it it. For stuff like this I find I need to see it in action to decide.
    I'm thinking about starting with the aces red, and then they fade back to white over a few seconds....
    Oh, yeah, something like that would be great! I wasn't sure how hard it might be to do, which is why I mentioned the tableau flash. But, I thought that could be a little confusing, too.

Regards,
    Tom
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Oh, yeah, something like that would be great! I wasn't sure how hard it might be to do, which is why I mentioned the tableau flash. But, I thought that could be a little confusing, too.

Regards,
    Tom
    It shouldn't be too hard. I can even provide a custom animation curve for the style that will make it fade in and out a few times before it finishes.

I'm not sure about the red though, since 2 of the aces are a red suite. I'd like something that stands out, isn't annoying, and isn't confusing. For some reason that seems to be really hard.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I've thought about doing some sort of "celebration animation" but I keep finding more important things to add to the game.
    I agree. I like the autoplay and I think it is sufficient to have the You Won banner come up as it does now. I guess if you get bored, you can maybe add a little color to the You Won! I downloaded the new beta, but haven't yet had a chance to play it. On the previous version, I found the dragging so responsive, you could almost do without the highlighting since by the time it highlighted you were done dragging.
    Rgds/Mark M.
  7.    #67  
    Yeah I find that most of the time when I play I don't even notice the highlighting. It is nice when you have to stop and think though.
  8.    #68  
    I just updated the beta (1.4.4) with a version that sets the background of the aces to either red or black, and then fades the background to white over a few seconds. It makes it pretty clear where the aces are, but I'm not 100% happy with it. What do you all think?

I can make it flash, but that will require a bit more work. Is the background color a good approach? Or does it look too weird?
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    on 1.4.4

unable to go to specific game #
    checked several games vs windows and the normal and hard levels match but not the easy ones. Most of the time, only several of the cards aren't in the same place.
    while the new game menu is up, if you try to open the top left drop down menu, you can't open that drop down menu again until you reopen the app.

this is already a great version of freecell though. Many thanks for this game.

btw, been meaning to ask, how do you decide which game is easy, normal or hard?
    Last edited by spare; 04/29/2010 at 08:41 PM.
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    on 1.4.4

unable to go to specific game #
    checked several games vs windows and the normal and hard levels match but not the easy ones. Most of the time, only several of the cards aren't in the same place.
    while the new game menu is up, if you try to open the top left drop down menu, you can't open that drop down menu again until you reopen the app.

this is already a great version of freecell though. Many thanks for this game.

btw, been meaning to ask, how do you decide which game is easy, normal or hard?
    The game numbers will only match for normal. I should have been more clear. The "Easy" and "Hard" modes simply move a few aces to the top or the bottom of the stacks.

For example, if you start a game as "Normal" and there are a few aces at the top of the stacks then you can start that same game again as "Hard" and they will be moved lower. Thats all it does.
  11.    #71  
    Thank you to everyone who has submitted a review on the app catalog! I appreciate it a lot, and I'm confident that many more people will try it now. Thank you!
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    on 1.4.4 unable to go to specific game #
    Selecting a game by number isn't working? I may have broken something. If so I'll post an update asap.
    Fading background for aces is good - not weird at all. Maybe a different starting background color would stand out more - a color outside the pallet used for the cards, like gold (deep yellow) or something. And, maybe it could fade in first, then out (in the same amount of time) for more notice-ability. But it's plenty fine as it is now, and is a nice touch.

Regards,
    Tom
  14.    #74  
    Ok, posting beta 1.4.5 as we speak which fixes the game select dialog. Sorry about that.
  15.    #75  
    What do you think about rotating the A and the small suite symbol? I've been playing with that, and I kinda like it. It is a bit weird though.

When I get an animation that I'm happy with I think I'll use the same thing to add another feature. When you click on a home tableau it'll find the next card that belongs there and highlight it in the same way.
  16.    #76  
    I think I'm going to change the way I do the difficulty levels. Currently I deal a game, and then move the aces around to make it fit either "Easy" or "Hard". I've never been very happy with this though, because it kinda feels like cheating. Also, with the option to select a game it becomes weird, because now you can play the same game as the MS version, but on easy... that is just confusing.

So, I think I'm going to change it a bit. I'm going to deal a game, then look at the position of the aces and classify the hand as "easy", "medium" or "hard". If the game is not the type the user asked to play then I'll throw the deck away and deal another. The dialog to select a game will then be changed to just have an "ok" and "cancel" button. If you are entering a game number then it will play that one, and I don't care how difficult it is.

I'll classify a game as "easy" if all the aces are in the top half of the tableaus, "hard" if they are all in the bottom half and any other game as "medium".
  17.    #77  
    Ok beta 1.4.6 is being uploaded now with the changes to the difficulty level. Please let me know if anyone sees a significant delay when loading a game. If you do then there where a lot of games in a row that didn't match the difficulty level you asked for. In my testing I've seen it go through 5 or 6 games, but that doesn't seem to be enough to be a problem.
  18.    #78  
    Ok, beta 1.4.7 is now being uploaded because 1.4.6 broke autoplay. Sorry about that for anyone who installed 1.4.6.
    Regarding difficulty levels: To me, choosing the difficulty level by any means is "cheating" -- not that there's anything wrong with that, and I think it's a fine and useful option to offer. So, with respect to cheating, the difference between your two methods is pretty subtle, to me.

But, I would really like to have the option of "playing the cards life deals me", so to speak. (I assume that was what was happening when I selected "normal" in the older version.) I think this option should be offered as well. In fact, I would propose that the difficulty level be in the preferences menu, with the default being "random". I think a new user, in particular, may be put off by all the choices at game start; the game should just be ready to go, and everyone expects a random deal. Later, they can find out what these options mean, and how to set them. That adds a little depth to the game's "value".

Regarding spinning aces -- it definitely does the job. It gets your attention, and the duration is long enough while not delaying starting the game. It could work....

Maybe, though, either instead of or in addition to briefly animated aces, you could put, for example, a persistent yellow (or whatever color) line over the ace-containing tableau. (The line would bisect the space between the tableau and the free or home cells.) I like the animation schemes, but they've made me wish for a more persistent reminder. In case some find this off-putting, you could make a "show me the aces" preference; default on.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    It's always interesting reading what others say. I agree with you on the game start, that simpler is better. I thought it worked OK as was with the three options and the resume, but can see minego's point about it being odd to change it after it was dealt. Maybe put the option to redeal in the menu so if it is too easy the person can redeal manually. I'd prefer that over having to say the deal was OK each time.

In terms of the Aces animation, I thought the glowing animation in 1.4.5 was sufficient and really wouldn't want any further persistence so TomJ's idea of another preference would work. I personally was more of a fan of the quick glow and go you had on the aces before as I find the spinning animation goes on a little long for my taste.
    Rgds/Mark M.
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast