Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    I'm having some difficulty with the dragging - that seems cumbersome. Would it be possible to add the option of moving cards from the tableau by tapping them, then tapping the stack or free cell where you want it to go?
    In the 1.4 beta I've completely reworked dragging. I rewrote it from scratch. I am much happier with the new version, but would very much appreciate some feedback from others.

I'm going to send you a private message about the beta. (I've already sent it to everyone else who has responded today). It seems to take palm about a week to let an update into the catalog, so I'd like to get this submitted as soon as possible.
    Hey, this looks good! I spend way too much time playing Precell, but I think freecell already has it beat.

And, now that freecell is my new favorite I'll start tossing in my $0.02.

I'm using v1.3, and since there's an update coming that will affect playability, I won't comment about that. But, I will point out that I'm liking the automatic play and smart play, so far. In fact, I really haven't done any dragging yet, so I wouldn't be able to comment much on that, anyway.

For visibility, consider making the card font/suit larger/bolder. Try making it so big that it gets clipped a little by the card laying on top. I think big "bulge-y" numbers/suits could look more stylish, too.

How about an "undo last move" button at the bottom of the screen? Just a circular button with the usual undo arrow.

Maybe round the edges of the cards a little more -- between the font and the sharp edges, it has a bit of a "harsh" look to it right now.

Regards,
    Tom
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Hey, this looks good! I spend way too much time playing Precell, but I think freecell already has it beat.

And, now that freecell is my new favorite I'll start tossing in my $0.02.

I'm using v1.3, and since there's an update coming that will affect playability, I won't comment about that. But, I will point out that I'm liking the automatic play and smart play, so far. In fact, I really haven't done any dragging yet, so I wouldn't be able to comment much on that, anyway.
    Yeah I find myself using the auto-play a LOT as well.

For visibility, consider making the card font/suit larger/bolder. Try making it so big that it gets clipped a little by the card laying on top. I think big "bulge-y" numbers/suits could look more stylish, too.
    I'll play with it a bit. Have you tried the horizontal view? I think it is much easier to read.

How about an "undo last move" button at the bottom of the screen? Just a circular button with the usual undo arrow.
    The back gesture will do an undo. Is that not obvious?

Maybe round the edges of the cards a little more -- between the font and the sharp edges, it has a bit of a "harsh" look to it right now.
    The first version had rounded corners, but that many cards with round corners was actually causing some really big performance problems. It seems that web os has a hard time rendering the rounded corners.

I'm playing with some alternative ways of rendering the cards to bring that back.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    any chance I can go directly to a specific freecell game? Like in windows freecell? Having matching numbers to windows freecell would be nice too.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    any chance I can go directly to a specific freecell game? Like in windows freecell? Having matching numbers to windows freecell would be nice too.
    That is a planned feature. I would like to make them match the windows freecell, but I'm not sure it is possible. I'll do some research, and if I can make them match then I will.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Ok good news. I've just finished some test code that is able to load a game on the pre by number that matches the windows freecell. I've got a bit of work to get it plugged in, but it shouldn't be too hard.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    I'll play with it a bit. Have you tried the horizontal view? I think it is much easier to read.
    Am I missing something. I haven't been able to get it in to horizontal view. Is there something you have to do beside flip the phone? My browser pops right into landscape, but Freecell only wants to play vertically.

I'm on Freecell 1.3.0 on a Pre Plus with OS 1.4 (Hopefully until sometime this week when Verizon spits out 1.4.1.1)
    Rgds/Mark M.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    Am I missing something. I haven't been able to get it in to horizontal view. Is there something you have to do beside flip the phone? My browser pops right into landscape, but Freecell only wants to play vertically.

I'm on Freecell 1.3.0 on a Pre Plus with OS 1.4 (Hopefully until sometime this week when Verizon spits out 1.4.1.1)
    There is an option in preferences to handle rotation. It allows you to force it to be vertical or horizontal. The default should be "auto" though.

You can also force it to switch by hitting the space bar.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    There is an option in preferences to handle rotation. It allows you to force it to be vertical or horizontal. The default should be "auto" though.

You can also force it to switch by hitting the space bar.
    Weird, neither appears in the version I got from the updates app. I have no rotation option in preferences and space bar doesn't do anything. the only options I have in preferences are: Smart Auto Play, Tradtional (Game type), and Green Felt (Background).
    Rgds/Mark M.
  10.    #50  
    Weird, neither appears in the version I got from the updates app. I have no rotation option in preferences and space bar doesn't do anything. the only options I have in preferences are: Smart Auto Play, Tradtional (Game type), and Green Felt (Background).
    Oh sorry, I got confused about versions for a minute there. Support for horizontal mode was added in 1.4, which palm hasn't accepted yet. I'll send you a private message with a link to the beta.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Downloaded and tried the beta. I'm a big fan of the landscape layout and the stacks on the sides work perfectly for me.
    Pros:
    1) Landscape layout is a winner
    2) Dragging is MUCH better. I only had once or twice where there was some lag
    3) Auto play is nice
    4) I like the levels options and the choice to continue a previous game

Cons (minor):
    1) Mine came up with the gray background despite the solid green being the default. Once I went in and chose green felt, it worked fine, just thought it was odd to come up gray.
    2) After winning, I closed the game. The next time I opened it, it gave me the new game dialog, and, simultaneously, it picked up with the previous move of the previous game and finished auto-playing it again in the background then replaced the new game dialog with the You Won dialog.
    Last edited by mmeltser; 04/28/2010 at 01:15 PM.
    Rgds/Mark M.
    Is the font actually bigger? I'll try it when that version is released, but I really like portrait mode, so.....

The back gesture will do an undo. Is that not obvious?
    I just figured that out last night -- I think I did it out of muscle memory more than anything.

Something that might be kind of cool: upon starting the game, just after the cards are laid out, how about animating the aces somehow (some kind of "throb" effect) to show where they are?

Regards,
    Tom
    p.s. I was also noticing the odd behavior on game start that mmeltser mentioned above (Cons #2), in version 1.30.
  13.    #53  
    Downloaded and tried the beta. I'm a big fan of the landscape layout and the stacks on the sides work perfectly for me.
    Pros:
    1) Landscape layout is a winner
    2) Dragging is MUCH better. I only had once or twice where there was some lag
    3) Auto play is nice
    4) I like the levels options and the choice to continue a previous game

Cons (minor):
    1) Mine came up with the gray background despite the solid green being the default. Once I went in and chose green felt, it worked fine, just thought it was odd to come up gray.
    2) After winning, I closed the game. The next time I opened it, it gave me the new game dialog, and, simultaneously, it picked up with the previous move of the previous game and finished auto-playing it again in the background then replaced the new game dialog with the You Won dialog.
    Nice bug reports. Thank you.

I'll get fixes in and update the beta tonight.
  14.    #54  
    Is the font actually bigger? I'll try it when that version is released, but I really like portrait mode, so.....

I just figured that out last night -- I think I did it out of muscle memory more than anything.

Something that might be kind of cool: upon starting the game, just after the cards are laid out, how about animating the aces somehow (some kind of "throb" effect) to show where they are?

Regards,
    Tom
    p.s. I was also noticing the odd behavior on game start that mmeltser mentioned above (Cons #2), in version 1.30.
    The font isn't bigger in horizontal mode, but I still find it much easier to read. I'll try increasing the font size and see how that works.

That could be a cool effect. I'll have to think about it though. My current method of highlighting only works on cards that are on top.
  15.    #55  
    1.4 is now in the app catalog!

Palm was much faster at reviewing the update this time around (thank you palm). So this means horizontal mode, new dragging code, etc for everyone.

I've also updated the beta to 1.4.2, which fixes a number of bugs and adds support for numbered games. They even line up with microsoft's! If you use another freecell app that uses numbers please try this feature out and let me know about any problems. It was rather tricky.
    Version 1.4.1 looks great! The way you handled dragging works quite well; the visual feedback lets you know when it's safe to let go without the cards slipping back to where they started. I'm impressed by how responsive the highlighting is, too.

One possible issue -- it seems that sometimes cards are reluctant to go from a free cell to an open tableau when tapped. (I'm assuming they should.)

Regards,
    Tom
  17.    #57  
    Version 1.4.1 looks great! The way you handled dragging works quite well; the visual feedback lets you know when it's safe to let go without the cards slipping back to where they started. I'm impressed by how responsive the highlighting is, too.

One possible issue -- it seems that sometimes cards are reluctant to go from a free cell to an open tableau when tapped. (I'm assuming they should.)

Regards,
    Tom
    Thanks! I'm glad you like the new dragging and highlighting.

Currently tapping a card to make it auto-play will prefer to move a card to an empty free cell. The logic was that an empty tableau is more useful than an empty free cell. Of course that doesn't make sense if the card is already in a free cell.

I'll put a fix for that in. If a card is already in a freecell there is no reason to move it to another freecell. I'll private message you the link to the beta once I have that fix added.
  18.    #58  
    Ok TomJ, the fix is in. I'm amazed I hadn't noticed that, because it makes tapping a card in a freecell MUCH more useful. I've also sent you a private message with the beta link to make sure you can try the fix out.
    Got it (v1.4.3) -- and it appears to function properly (i.e. tap on card in free cell drops to open tableau, if appropriate). Nice job -- and fast!

I noticed that aces that are on top at the start of the game do not autoplay on their own in this version. Is that by design? Nothing wrong with it, just curious.

I meant to mention before, I really like how the autoplay finishes up the game at the end. I think that's as good a "celebration animation" as any. And the speed that it does it (i.e. not too fast) is perfect.

Regards,
    Tom
  20.    #60  
    Got it (v1.4.3) -- and it appears to function properly (i.e. tap on card in free cell drops to open tableau, if appropriate). Nice job -- and fast!

I noticed that aces that are on top at the start of the game do not autoplay on their own in this version. Is that by design? Nothing wrong with it, just curious.
    I changed the auto play so it doesn't trigger until you move the first card. This was actually a side effect of a bug fix, but I kinda prefer it, so I left the behavior.

I meant to mention before, I really like how the autoplay finishes up the game at the end. I think that's as good a "celebration animation" as any. And the speed that it does it (i.e. not too fast) is perfect.
    Yeah I'm a fan of that as well. I've thought about doing some sort of "celebration animation" but I keep finding more important things to add to the game.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast