Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    Interesting. I'll have to think about that a bit. I'd have to change the logic. Right now since it is random it doesn't matter what cards are around it. Doing this I'd need to put it in a different spot where I know what the previous card was.
    Yeah, that's one drawback. I'm not suggesting you do it - it's just another approach to get a whimsical, hand-dealt look. And, perhaps folks with OCD wouldn't be so quick to have a seizure.

Regards,
    Tom
  2.    #362  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Yeah, that's one drawback. I'm not suggesting you do it - it's just another approach to get a whimsical, hand-dealt look. And, perhaps folks with OCD wouldn't be so quick to have a seizure.

Regards,
    Tom
    haha. Thats why I made it optional. I actually went to a lot of effort to make sure that turning it off would take effect right away.
  3.    #363  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    A few random thoughts based on testing so far:
    -- Haven't seen the performance issue others have reported although it was a late night of real work so my solitaire time was limited
    -- I like the yellow highlighting better than the crooked card idea
    -- I would fall in to the category of one who isn't a fan of the sloppy look although I can see how some would like it.
    -- I like the white foundations. I agree that the colored ones looked too much like cards
    -- Haven't hit highlighting or undo issues that I've noticed so far, but will keep poking
    -- Performance and responsiveness seems much improved over earlier builds
    -- I always forget to pay attention to the timer, so I can't speak to how its been behaving
    Thanks Mark! That is really good feedback.

I think I'm going to leave the yellow highlight. I personally liked the crooked card, but it really conflicts with the sloppy option.

I've decided that I like the sloppy option a lot, except on freecell and spider. There are just so many cards in those games that it looks too busy. I may end up disabling it in those games by default, but you will still be able to turn it on if you want.

I think that the sloppy option helps a LOT in aces up and golf. Both of those looked a little weird in my opinion because there was so much empty space on the screen, and the sloppy option helps that a lot. I love how it looks in golf when you have most of the cards discarded.
  4.    #364  
    1.3.0 is up! Sorry for the delay.
    thanks! It took a while to show up in my feeds (preware) but I've downloaded it and now have cards. I am having a lot of trouble grabbing two cards (when it's legal). Is there a trick to that? Is it possible the game doesn't always correctly identify legal moves? (i was able to move one stack of 2, but not another.)

also, the options for 1 & 2 suited spider games were grayed out. I haven't actually tested it yet, but I assume that means they aren't yet enabled?

very excited about this app. I will be heading out on vacation this evening and will not be a very responsive beta tester until I return, I fear. I might pop in before that, but look for me next week.
  6.    #366  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    thanks! It took a while to show up in my feeds (preware) but I've downloaded it and now have cards. I am having a lot of trouble grabbing two cards (when it's legal). Is there a trick to that? Is it possible the game doesn't always correctly identify legal moves? (i was able to move one stack of 2, but not another.)
    If you drag any card from a stack and hover over another stack it will bring with it the correct number of cards. You don't have to click on the right card in the stack to do the drag.

also, the options for 1 & 2 suited spider games were grayed out. I haven't actually tested it yet, but I assume that means they aren't yet enabled?
    No they are fully functional. The grey is just the default color for a palm button. The green button indicates the "normal" version of a game. The others do work though.

very excited about this app. I will be heading out on vacation this evening and will not be a very responsive beta tester until I return, I fear. I might pop in before that, but look for me next week.
    If you drag any card from a stack and hover over another stack it will bring with it the correct number of cards. You don't have to click on the right card in the stack to do the drag.
    I was trying to drag an ace & 2 of hearts to a blank cell, so there are two legal moves. But I could only get it to do one of those - moveing the ace. There's also an open 2 that I can drag the ace to, perhaps that's relevant.

I also tried to move a 3&4 of clubs to a blank cell, with similar results. I don't recall if there was another 4 anywhere. I did get it to move another stack, but maybe that was the only legal move?

Unfortunately I rebooted the gadget to swap in a new battery (just got the giant seido and am testing it today) so I've lost the detailed info.
  8.    #368  
    I was trying to drag an ace & 2 of hearts to a blank cell, so there are two legal moves. But I could only get it to do one of those - moveing the ace. There's also an open 2 that I can drag the ace to, perhaps that's relevant.

I also tried to move a 3&4 of clubs to a blank cell, with similar results. I don't recall if there was another 4 anywhere. I did get it to move another stack, but maybe that was the only legal move?

Unfortunately I rebooted the gadget to swap in a new battery (just got the giant seido and am testing it today) so I've lost the detailed info.
    Which game was this in?
    4-suited spider. Sorry, I didn't note the game number within the game.
  10.    #370  
    4-suited spider. Sorry, I didn't note the game number within the game.
    Very interesting bug. I just checked the source for spider, and the move you describe should be allowed. I'll try to reproduce it.
  11.    #371  
    I've just tried the move you described and it worked correctly. I was able to move a 2 of spaces and an aces of spaces to an empty tableau.

I'll keep trying to reproduce it. If you can cause it again I'd love to know more about the exact situation. As long as the stack is all of the same suit then the move should be allowed.
  12.    #372  
    btw, I have submitted version 0.1.32 to palm as version 1.0 for the app catalog. But I will still be creating beta builds to track down bugs and I will be making updates to the non beta version as frequently as is needed.
    I've just tried the move you described and it worked correctly. I was able to move a 2 of spaces and an aces of spaces to an empty tableau.

I'll keep trying to reproduce it. If you can cause it again I'd love to know more about the exact situation. As long as the stack is all of the same suit then the move should be allowed.
    So, I've tried this again. It only "grabs" one card until the cursor is sitting over the space you want to drop it onto, and then suddenly the other cards join the one. I don't think I even got as far as trying to drag the stack more than a little, because I was so frustrated trying to grab the right cards, and I assumed (at first) that it was a fat-fingers/small board problem.

So I think what you have is a user-interface issue, rather than a bug in game play. I might have found it helpful if this behavior was described somewhere in the application. Also, it's terrific that a back swipe undoes a move (just how it should work) but I only learned that from reading the reviews in the app catalog. That's also worth explicitly including in the documentation.

(Maybe they are both there and I missed it. In which case I suggest you make them more prominent.)

I expect to spend some time playing these games on an airplane this evening. Looking forward to my new toy. Thanks!
  14.    #374  
    So, I've tried this again. It only "grabs" one card until the cursor is sitting over the space you want to drop it onto, and then suddenly the other cards join the one. I don't think I even got as far as trying to drag the stack more than a little, because I was so frustrated trying to grab the right cards, and I assumed (at first) that it was a fat-fingers/small board problem.

So I think what you have is a user-interface issue, rather than a bug in game play. I might have found it helpful if this behavior was described somewhere in the application. Also, it's terrific that a back swipe undoes a move (just how it should work) but I only learned that from reading the reviews in the app catalog. That's also worth explicitly including in the documentation.

(Maybe they are both there and I missed it. In which case I suggest you make them more prominent.)

I expect to spend some time playing these games on an airplane this evening. Looking forward to my new toy. Thanks!
    You bring up some really good points. I need to make it more clear when you start dragging that the other cards will come along. I'll try to come up with something for 1.0.1. I also need to do something to educate users about some of the other features like using back for undo. I've considered displaying hints when the game is launched, or something like that.
    Actually, I still am having trouble manipulating the cards in at least some situations. When I'm moving cards to an empty space, I usually want to move al of the same-suit cards. But sometimes I only want the first few, perhaps to create a space to move some off another stack. I can't remember exactly the situation, but I couldn't figure out how to move fewer than 'all' and finally gave up and did some completely different move. Now that I think back, I don't remember why it mattered, but I'm pretty sure it did. Can I do that?
    displying hints is a good idea. A lot of my son's video games work that way, and so long as it doesn't keep popping up hints it's pretty nice. It would be good to tuck the documentation somewhere the user can review, too. Maybe in the help menu? Or in a 'hints' menu?

thanks again. About to take off on vacation.
  17.    #377  
    Currently it will move as many cards as it can. I haven't run into a situation where this doesn't work, and I haven't had any other complaints about it.

If you can describe the situation I'd love to try to come up with a better solution.
    I think there are workarounds, I was just used to doing it that way. I do have some interface suggestions, for your consideration. These are based on how my old solitaire suite on the Treo worked:

When I grabbed a block of cards, it highlighted the top card (not the whole stack) of every pile I could move stuff too - so it was really easy to click down the line and see if there were any legal moves left. Then when I grabbed a stack, it visually moved all of them. On that version, I had to use the cursor to grab the bottom card I wanted to move, but you could check for any legal move and do that.

Also, it visually dragged the whole pile I was going to move, which I thikn I prefer. I envision it as dragging the maximum legal pile, and then dropping off cards if I moved to a place that I couldn't move them all to, sort of the reverse of how you have it set up now.

It had a really nice feature where you could create a "bookmark" or a saved position. So if you had something promising, but weren't sure how to proceed, you could bookmark the promising position, mess around, and then automatically jump back to the bookmarked spot. That's more important for a game like spider where you often move a bunch of stuff to peek under a pile, and then undo it, than for a game like freecell which is simple enough (and has complete information) that many people play it with no "undo"s at all.

It would also be nice to have "redo", to go with "undo". Not a huge deal, but I often try two paths, and then pick one, and "redo" was handy.

I guess these are sort of spider-inspired comments. I wouldn't bother getting all excited about redo or move-pile features in klondike, or even freecell. But you can't really win spider without checking multiple paths and undoing some work - which is why I never played it until I got a computer version, too hard with actual cards.

Anyhow, this is a nice implementation that includes my favorite game, and I don't think you are charging enough for it. :-) (I'm willing to chip in a bit more. Did you post a paypal account or anything?)

Oh, one game that I'd love to see on in this suite, that I've only seen in one place: Grandma's Game. It's part of the "solitaire til dawn" suite, and it's possible the guy's grandmother make it up or something, and that it's not public domain. But you might take a peek and see if you like it, and if you can implement it, and if it works on a little bitty screen. (It might require a bigger screen. On the other hand, can the HP WebOS tablet be far in the future?)

Cheers!
  19.    #379  
    I think there are workarounds, I was just used to doing it that way. I do have some interface suggestions, for your consideration. These are based on how my old solitaire suite on the Treo worked:

When I grabbed a block of cards, it highlighted the top card (not the whole stack) of every pile I could move stuff too - so it was really easy to click down the line and see if there were any legal moves left. Then when I grabbed a stack, it visually moved all of them. On that version, I had to use the cursor to grab the bottom card I wanted to move, but you could check for any legal move and do that.

Also, it visually dragged the whole pile I was going to move, which I thikn I prefer. I envision it as dragging the maximum legal pile, and then dropping off cards if I moved to a place that I couldn't move them all to, sort of the reverse of how you have it set up now.
    I have a few plans to improve dragging cards. I'm going to play with it a bit before I make any changes though. I don't think they will make it into the next release.

I think I may make the whole stack move when you start dragging, and make any that aren't part of a legal move turn transparent. I think that will give you more information at a glance.

I like the idea of highlighting the top card of each legal move as well. If I add that I'll probably make it optional since some people dislike any hints, just like the current highlighting is optional. I may highlight the top card of each stack you can move to, and when you are hovering over a stack highlight the whole thing.

It had a really nice feature where you could create a "bookmark" or a saved position. So if you had something promising, but weren't sure how to proceed, you could bookmark the promising position, mess around, and then automatically jump back to the bookmarked spot. That's more important for a game like spider where you often move a bunch of stuff to peek under a pile, and then undo it, than for a game like freecell which is simple enough (and has complete information) that many people play it with no "undo"s at all.
    I love the idea of the bookmarks, and I can probably do it without too much trouble. It is a little bit difficult because I'll need to keep the history with each bookmark, so that you can still undo after going back to a bookmark. Even that shouldn't be too bad though.

It would also be nice to have "redo", to go with "undo". Not a huge deal, but I often try two paths, and then pick one, and "redo" was handy.

I guess these are sort of spider-inspired comments. I wouldn't bother getting all excited about redo or move-pile features in klondike, or even freecell. But you can't really win spider without checking multiple paths and undoing some work - which is why I never played it until I got a computer version, too hard with actual cards.
    Spider has been one of the hardest games to get right, and I think there is still a lot of room to improve it. I've had the same problem with spider. I'm just not very good at it. I've been playing 2 suit spider more and more though.

Anyhow, this is a nice implementation that includes my favorite game, and I don't think you are charging enough for it. :-) (I'm willing to chip in a bit more. Did you post a paypal account or anything?)
    I can't ask you to pay extra for the game. I think the price is pretty fair, but I am really flattered by the offer. You've made some very good suggestions, and I am really grateful for that. This kind of feedback is really hard to get for software, and it is worth a lot to me.

Oh, one game that I'd love to see on in this suite, that I've only seen in one place: Grandma's Game. It's part of the "solitaire til dawn" suite, and it's possible the guy's grandmother make it up or something, and that it's not public domain. But you might take a peek and see if you like it, and if you can implement it, and if it works on a little bitty screen. (It might require a bigger screen. On the other hand, can the HP WebOS tablet be far in the future?)

Cheers!
    I'll look into it. I'd like to add many more games. I am already working on a few. For the next release I hope to have westcliff (A game that was requested on the forums) and pyramid, and possibly Yukon. Yukon is a bit tricky because there are a number of cases where dragging a stack may have 2 possible outcomes. I have an idea for this though which should make things better for spider and other games as well.

Basically if you drag a stack to a tableau and there are multiple legal moves (like when dragging to an empty tableau in some games) then it will fan out the stack and highlight all the cards which are legal. Then you can tap on one and that will be the first card in the stack that gets moved.

Thanks again for your suggestions. If you'd like you can enter feature requests by going to https://www.assembla.com/spaces/mine...taire/tickets/ and clicking on 'New Ticket'. If you don't feel like it I'll add them later today.
  20.    #380  
    I've just entered feature requests for all the items you mentioned. This will make sure I don't forget about them.

I also read up on Grandma's Game a bit... I'd like to try playing it. The only software I can find that has it is Solitaire For Dawn, which seems to be mac only. I have a mac at home so I will try to play it over the weekend.