Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast
  1.    #341  
    Ok, so I'd like to get this game released at some point, and I'm finally feeling really happy with it. What do you guys think? Is it ready to release?

I've got other improvements I'd like to keep working on, but I can always release updates after the release. I plan to do this to add pyramid shortly after the release.
    Clock bug seems to have crawled back in on 0.1.26. Upon resuming a game of Freecell, the time shows 354594:44:47.

Prior to that (was it 0.1.24???) upon resuming the time was off by just a bit; I think I gained 10s or so.

Regarding release -- yeah, I think it's about ready to go out the door. The cards look really nice after your last tweak, BTW, as do the foundation spaces, etc. And the recent improvement in speed clinches it.

Regards,
    Tom
  3.    #343  
    I've just uploaded 0.1.27, which is an experiment build... I've tweaked a few things visually. I'd like to know what you all thing.

- The card highlight is now a yellow glow around the number
    - There is now an option for "sloppy card placement", which attempts to make it look as if a person had dealt the game. Cards will be slightly rotated, and nudged a bit. I'm really fond of this, but I know that some of you won't be so I've made it optional.
    - The foundations are white again. The colored foundations look too much like a card to me.
  4.    #344  
    Ok I've just uploaded 0.1.28 which attempts to fix the timer bug that Tom found, and adds an option to disable the fade used to show legal moves.
  5.    #345  
    Why did it get so quiet in here? Was it something I said?
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    Why did it get so quiet in here? Was it something I said?
    Sorry, day job interfering with my solitaire time again! :-) I'll update my version and walkthrough as much as I can. I think this is definitely close to ready for prime time.
    Rgds/Mark M.
  7.    #347  
    I hate it when that happens.

There is a but in 0.1.28 that is causing issues with starting some games... I have a fix ready, but the palm developer portal seems to be having issues. I'll upload 0.1.29 as soon as I can.
    Overall, very nice! But now the animations seem to be slow again.
  9.    #349  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Overall, very nice! But now the animations seem to be slow again.
    Can you try turning off the "sloppy card placement" option in preferences? Are the animations fast again with the option turned off?

The phone has to do a lot more calculations to rotate the cards, so it may make a big difference. Sadly I can't think of a way to improve it without turning the feature off.
  10.    #350  
    I suppose I could save some pre-rendered rotated cards to try to improve the performance. It would make the app a lot larger though... I'd need at least 5 times as many card images as I have now....
  11.    #351  
    I just tried a few games turning it on and off as I went, and I can't see a difference.... Is anyone else seeing it?
    it looks great, except, um, I don't see any cards on the table.

I updated the operating system to 1.4.1.1 right before I installed it. Maybe that has something to do with it?

if I can get it to work I would be happy to pay for this app. I really want 2 suited spider, and I find pre cell to be a mediocre implementation of freecell.
  13.    #353  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    it looks great, except, um, I don't see any cards on the table.

I updated the operating system to 1.4.1.1 right before I installed it. Maybe that has something to do with it?

if I can get it to work I would be happy to pay for this app. I really want 2 suited spider, and I find pre cell to be a mediocre implementation of freecell.
    Sorry about no cards showing up. It is a known bug, and I have a fix ready. The palm developer portal is having issues right now. I'll put the update up as soon as it is behaving.
    Would posted sooner, but wanted to try to get used to changes before commenting. So far, I like the new highlighting better than the twisted card in that it's easier to see. Would a colored border be worth trying?

On the sloppy layout - yeah I see the coolness. But maybe a little more order to the sloppiness would look better - like alternating a fixed amount of twist to the right and left as you go down the tableau, or from left to right on dealt cards. This way, you can make the amount of twist obvious, so it's clear what's going on - right now it's not so clear.

Regards,
    Tom
  15.    #355  
    I'm not sure I follow Tom... The idea was to make it look random, like a real person had dealt it. If it is more ordered then it wouldn't seem like that to me... or am I not understanding?
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I've just uploaded 0.1.27, which is an experiment build... I've tweaked a few things visually. I'd like to know what you all thing.

- The card highlight is now a yellow glow around the number
    - There is now an option for "sloppy card placement", which attempts to make it look as if a person had dealt the game. Cards will be slightly rotated, and nudged a bit. I'm really fond of this, but I know that some of you won't be so I've made it optional.
    - The foundations are white again. The colored foundations look too much like a card to me.
    A few random thoughts based on testing so far:
    -- Haven't seen the performance issue others have reported although it was a late night of real work so my solitaire time was limited
    -- I like the yellow highlighting better than the crooked card idea
    -- I would fall in to the category of one who isn't a fan of the sloppy look although I can see how some would like it.
    -- I like the white foundations. I agree that the colored ones looked too much like cards
    -- Haven't hit highlighting or undo issues that I've noticed so far, but will keep poking
    -- Performance and responsiveness seems much improved over earlier builds
    -- I always forget to pay attention to the timer, so I can't speak to how its been behaving
    Rgds/Mark M.
    Sorry about no cards showing up. It is a known bug, and I have a fix ready. The palm developer portal is having issues right now. I'll put the update up as soon as it is behaving.
    Okay. I'm puzzled how anyone can play, but I'll wait for the update and try again.

One comment based on what I have to look at: I prefer my solitaire to be untimed. I don't really want to know how much time I've been wasting , and I don't think of solitaire as a speed game. I'd like an option to turn off the timer.

It's a very attractive game. (Just wish it had cards to manipulate!) Thanks!
  18.    #358  
    Okay. I'm puzzled how anyone can play, but I'll wait for the update and try again.
    The bug that you're running into only seems to happen for new installs, which is why I missed it in the first place. So everyone who had installed earlier versions is able to play. I'm really sorry about the delay. Palm has been working on it. I hope to be able to update in the next few hours.

One comment based on what I have to look at: I prefer my solitaire to be untimed. I don't really want to know how much time I've been wasting , and I don't think of solitaire as a speed game. I'd like an option to turn off the timer.
    Thats a great idea. In fact, I'll add that option right now.

It's a very attractive game. (Just wish it had cards to manipulate!) Thanks!
    I'm not sure I follow Tom... The idea was to make it look random, like a real person had dealt it. If it is more ordered then it wouldn't seem like that to me... or am I not understanding?
    No, you're understanding perfectly -- it's a trade-off between making it obvious what you're doing, and maintaining the "random" feel. Here's a quick mock-up to show what I mean:

Hand-dealt Tableau.jpg

Each card is tilted 5 degrees to the right or left.

Regards,
    Tom
  20.    #360  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    No, you're understanding perfectly -- it's a trade-off between making it obvious what you're doing, and maintaining the "random" feel. Here's a quick mock-up to show what I mean:

Hand-dealt Tableau.jpg

Each card is tilted 5 degrees to the right or left.

Regards,
    Tom
    Interesting. I'll have to think about that a bit. I'd have to change the logic. Right now since it is random it doesn't matter what cards are around it. Doing this I'd need to put it in a different spot where I know what the previous card was.