Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    I just got a one-card first deal in Canfield. I think it was after going ahead and playing a two-card-deal game. Thought that might be a clue(?).

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Hey Tom -- By any chance did you get two starting cards in the top (i.e., two 4s or whatever the seed card was?). I was debating if maybe when it auto-plays the first deal it doesn't replenish the stack?
    Rgds/Mark M.
    Re: prefs - I see now that the "Add to Launcher" version of a game still looks to the main app prefs, and uses whatever is current. If that's the model that you plan to stick with, I would be inclined to vote for each game having its own prefs. (I like highlighting in freecell, but somehow it feels "wrong" in Canfield. Some might love deck on the right in Canfield, but it might feel "wrong" in Klondike.)

If, on the other hand, when a user makes a launchable version, and whatever prefs are current at the time get frozen in to that stand-alone game, that might be a reasonable compromise. I have no idea what the ramifications of all this are, not knowing how all this is implemented in programming and file structure, etc.

Canfield $ scoring: the cumulative $ amount is more interesting, at least to me, and I don't see it anywhere (kinda thought it might be in the stats). BUT, I would rather see the cumulative on the game screen (rather than in stats), and don't really care about the per-game amount.

Are you planning to create any more functionality with the stats page? I was thinking that tapping a game number might launch that game for replay. Or, it could pull up more stats about that game (though I don't have anything in mind of what it should show). Or, it could pull up more stats, with a "Replay?" button at the bottom.

Undo: I've been known to undo a bazillion moves in Canfield, so a faster undo would really be awesome. Even if you could accomplish a nearly instantaneous undo programmatically, seems like the backswipe implementation would be a real limiting factor, though. Not sure where I'm going with this, just bringing it up for discussion.

Regards,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    Hey Tom -- By any chance did you get two starting cards in the top (i.e., two 4s or whatever the seed card was?). I was debating if maybe when it auto-plays the first deal it doesn't replenish the stack?
    Hadn't actually looked for that. But the fact that I got a one-card deal recently argues against that (i.e. I think I would have noticed that).

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Minego -- Did you get your new machine? I think this is the longest we've gone without a reply :-).

I'm occasionally seeing an issue you had addressed a while back in Freecell with getting the last move of the previous game coming up when you start a new game. For example, today, I started a Freecell game and when it came up, instead of seeing the deal dialog, it brought me to the previous game I had played. I just tapped a single card and it auto-played the rest of the hand. I also have had this happen in at least one other game, but I can't remember if it was Klondike or one of the others.
    Rgds/Mark M.
  6.    #246  
    Sorry for being so quiet. I did get my new machine, but I've been a bit busy trying to catch up with my day job. I lost a lot of time with loosing the machine.

I promise I'm not ignoring you guys. I've just been swamped for the last few days. I'm hoping that some time in the next 3 or 4 days I'll have my head above the water and I can go debug all the issues you guys have reported.

I think I'm going to go through and do a careful code review, and cleanup. There are a number of things that I can optimize and clean up at the same time. I just need to take the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    ...I've been a bit busy trying to catch up with my day job.
    The way you'd been cranking out updates, I thought this was your day job!

Glad you're up and running with your new machine. Take your time -- I'll keep reporting bugs/making suggestions, etc. as I find/think of stuff.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Ditto what Tom said. As critical to life as a good Solitaire game is , we all come to a point where we have to actually get some paying work done. We'll be out here when your work load chills. (Meanwhile, I'm going to go look up the Aces Up game. Haven't tried that one yet because I don't know how to play it.)
    Rgds/Mark M.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Finally looked up how to play Aces Up. Interesting solitaire version. Can't believe I've never run into it before. Only comment after two games is that I'm not sure the low card shading makes sense in that particular game. Unlike Freecell of Klondike, I'm not sure I care if the 3 of diamonds is the low card in the suit, do I? Am I missing some key strategy issue maybe?
    Rgds/Mark M.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    Finally looked up how to play Aces Up. Interesting solitaire version. Can't believe I've never run into it before. Only comment after two games is that I'm not sure the low card shading makes sense in that particular game. Unlike Freecell of Klondike, I'm not sure I care if the 3 of diamonds is the low card in the suit, do I? Am I missing some key strategy issue maybe?
    Oh, yeah, I've played this before -- had to check Wikipedia to remember how to play, though. And, now that I've played it, I have a bug report. If you have the deck on the right, the discard pile grows to the right such that it will eventually cover the deck, making it impossible to complete the game.

Yes, the card shading seems inappropriate. That may be another reason to have separate prefs for each game, as this should not even be an option here.

Re: Canfield two- and one-card first deals. I found that if I quit the game right after such a deal, and reopen the app, all three cards show up; the card(s) that showed originally were just covering up the other(s). So, no real affect on playability.

Regards,
    Tom
  11.    #251  
    I'll disable the highlighting in aces up. I thought I already had. Guess I just missed it. It is already disabled in some of the games where it doesn't make sense, like golf and it is modified in games like Canfield. In Canfield it highlights the lowest card with regard to the starting card. So if the first card dealt is a 3 then the 4s will be highlighted. I thought about doing the same thing for golf, but I think it would make it too easy.

As for weird deals in Canfield, it sounds like they are there, but just not being draw correctly? That would make a lot more sense and be easier to debug.

I'll tweak the aces up deck as well.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Been playing Spider a lot since you updated it and I'm happy with it, very playable.

I only see 3 suggestions for improvements.

autoplay can be smarter, cards should first go to same suit in a series

for long stacks, display up to 12 cards so that in a long series, the King and Queen isn't hidden (show King to Deuce in a long stack)

allow each game to be able to change the wallpaper without going back to the main menu.
    As for weird deals in Canfield, it sounds like they are there, but just not being draw correctly?
    Yes, that's exactly what appears to be going on.

I'll tweak the aces up deck as well.
    Sweet!

Regards,
    Tom
    p.s. Is the beta set to expire soon? (Friendly reminder )
  14.    #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Been playing Spider a lot since you updated it and I'm happy with it, very playable.

I only see 3 suggestions for improvements.

autoplay can be smarter, cards should first go to same suit in a series
    Ok, so basically if you tap on a card it would move as many cards as possible to whichever stack would result in the largest stack of cards in suit? I think that is doable.

for long stacks, display up to 12 cards so that in a long series, the King and Queen isn't hidden (show King to Deuce in a long stack)
    Ah good point. I think I set it to show up to 10 cards, and then tighten up the rest, but 12 makes a lot more sense. I don't know how I missed that.

allow each game to be able to change the wallpaper without going back to the main menu.
    Ok, I'm finally convinced. I'll play with doing different preferences for each game. I'd like to have some easy way to change a setting across all games, but I suppose it isn't all that important.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Ok, so basically if you tap on a card it would move as many cards as possible to whichever stack would result in the largest stack of cards in suit? I think that is doable.
    yep, that would work well.
    Aargh...beta expired.
  17.    #257  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Aargh...beta expired.
    Sorry about that. I've just uploaded 0.1.13, which gives you a month. The goal with the expiration date is to make sure that everyone upgrades the release version when it is done, so for all future updates of the beta I'm going to set the expiration date to 1 month from the time of the update. So as long as I do more than one update a month you shouldn't run into this again.

So, to go along with the expiration bump I've thrown in a handful of little fixes and tweaks:
    - Preferences are now per game. This still needs a bit of cleanup, but is working. Right now the same options are shown for all games. I will go through and turn off ones that don't make sense. For example, some games like spider and aces up don't highlight the low card, so that shouldn't be an option for those games.
    - Aces up no longer high lights the low card
    - Spider will now show 12 cards in a stack before switching to the tighter spacing

Does anyone know of any good online bug tracking systems? Its getting a bit difficult to keep track of the bugs that have been reported. Any ideas?
    Whoa, that was fast -- thanks! (Completely agree about need for expiration - one month sounds good.)

Hmmm, 'fraid I don't know anything about bug tracking systems. I do see how it's less than optimal to scan through posts and pull out info....

Regards,
    Tom
  19.    #259  
    Ok I found something. I'll have to spend some time customizing it later, but I have a basic setup going.

https://www.assembla.com/spaces/mine...re/tickets/new

Please give it a try. I'd really appreciate it if everyone could try and enter a defect using that page for any bugs you have reported that haven't been fixed.
    Entered the Canfield 1st deal bug. It showed an error after I hit submit, but I think it went through. I entered it from my Pre. Let me know if you see it.

Regards,
    Tom