Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    Oh, I misunderstood the rules then. I just tried it in pysol, and you're right. I don't know what I was thinking.
    I thought that might be the case -- rather than it being a bug. But, the only version of the game I know is the one I had on my Palm Tx....

btw, while reading up on canfield I found a page on wikipedia that described the origins of canfield. It claimed that it was used for gambling and that the player "bought" the cards for $50 and then got $5 for each card placed into the foundations. Is this scoring fairly common? It should be pretty easy to show a dollar amount in the status text.
    Now that you mention it, this might be something to add to all games. And, it was the one statistic that I found interesting to track. The wagering was $52 to buy the deck ($1 per card, I guess) -- not sure how "standard" that is -- and, yes, $5 for each card placed on the foundation. This was true for all the solitaire games in the pack, and the running total was shown at the bottom of the screen.

Regards,
    Tom
    p.s. 0.1.8 downloaded & ready for testing!
    Oops, still can't drag stack from one tableau to another. I have the following layout:

5D 8S 3H QS
    4C 7D 2S JH
    -- 6S AH 10D

I can't drag the 3H from the third tab. to the 4C in the first tab.

Regards,
    Tom
    [edited to show "missing" card at bottom of first tableau.]
    Last edited by TomJ; 05/18/2010 at 11:10 AM.
  3.    #223  
    Sorry for being so quiet today. It's been a really insane day.

I just posted a new version of the beta (0.1.9)
    - Fixes dragging in canfield (again, hopefully the last time)
    - Displays the base rank in the foundations for games where it makes sense
    - Changed the styling of the foundations. They are now white text on a grey background to make it clear that they aren't actually a card. Once I had shown the rank they looked like strange cards... it was confusing.
    - Tweaked animation when dealing to the waste from the deck in canfield and klondike
    - Fixed the 'Change Game' button on the dialog shown after winning a game (I don't actually see that dialog often...)
    - About 6 other things that I can't think of right now.

Oh, I also started working on pyramid. It is pretty radically different from the other games. It isn't playable yet, so I have not exposed it in the game list.

Hey Tom, do you know of any variants of canfield that may be good to add? I haven't been able to find any that really make a lot of sense.
    - Fixes dragging in canfield (again, hopefully the last time)
    - Displays the base rank in the foundations for games where it makes sense
    - Changed the styling of the foundations. They are now white text on a grey background to make it clear that they aren't actually a card. Once I had shown the rank they looked like strange cards... it was confusing.
    - Tweaked animation when dealing to the waste from the deck in canfield and klondike
    - Fixed the 'Change Game' button on the dialog shown after winning a game (I don't actually see that dialog often...)
    - About 6 other things that I can't think of right now.

Oh, I also started working on pyramid. It is pretty radically different from the other games. It isn't playable yet, so I have not exposed it in the game list.

Hey Tom, do you know of any variants of canfield that may be good to add? I haven't been able to find any that really make a lot of sense.
    -Dragging tableaus: It works! I left the game at the point I couldn't make the drag yesterday, and when it loaded up in 0.1.9, the drag worked perfectly.
    -Grey background in foundations look great!
    -Deal animation looks perfect -- it's really obvious what's going on, and the speed does not seem to be an issue (though speeding up a little would be fine, too).
    -The 6 other things you couldn't think of right now are awesome! (Ok, I made that one up.)
    -Pyramid - I think I've played that -- look forward to checking it out.
    -Canfield versions. Hmmm, not much help there, other than what I've read on Wikipedia. But none of those other versions do anything for me....

OK, so after all that goodness, I have to report one more Canfield playability issue. Once the reserve cards are used up, when a tableau opens up, the current face up card from the deck should automatically fill the space. If there are no face up cards, the top card from the next deal should be used (i.e. third card dealt, not from top of deck).
    Oh, and Canfield is a dude's name, so the "f" should be lower case.

Hope today is more sane!

Regards,
    Tom
  5.    #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    -Dragging tableaus: It works! I left the game at the point I couldn't make the drag yesterday, and when it loaded up in 0.1.9, the drag worked perfectly.
    -Grey background in foundations look great!
    -Deal animation looks perfect -- it's really obvious what's going on, and the speed does not seem to be an issue (though speeding up a little would be fine, too).
    -The 6 other things you couldn't think of right now are awesome! (Ok, I made that one up.)
    -Pyramid - I think I've played that -- look forward to checking it out.
    -Canfield versions. Hmmm, not much help there, other than what I've read on Wikipedia. But none of those other versions do anything for me....
    Sweet!

OK, so after all that goodness, I have to report one more Canfield playability issue. Once the reserve cards are used up, when a tableau opens up, the current face up card from the deck should automatically fill the space. If there are no face up cards, the top card from the next deal should be used (i.e. third card dealt, not from top of deck).
    I've never done well enough in Canfield to get to that point hehe. That sounds easy enough.

Oh, and Canfield is a dude's name, so the "f" should be lower case.
    I actually knew that... I don't know what I was thinking making it upper case.

Hope today is more sane!

Regards,
    Tom
    It may be. It looks like I'll get a replacement laptop today. Woo!
  6.    #226  
    Woo! Freecell just made it onto the palm hot apps leader board!

Palm Hot Apps (Number 219)
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Woo! Freecell just made it onto the palm hot apps leader board!

Palm Hot Apps (Number 219)
    Sweet! Up 50 spots for the week. Congrats.
    Rgds/Mark M.
  8.    #228  
    Yup, and I just passed 20k downloads as well!
    Congrats on your "Hot App"! I noticed in the reviews in the palm catalog that people really responded well to the improvements in the playability, and the rating has come up nicely because of it. Good job!

Regards,
    Tom
    ...and right back to bug reports.... :-/

I just noticed in Freeceel in the solitaire pack that the aces don't highlight, though the higher ranks appear to highlight correctly.

Regards,
    Tom
  11.    #231  
    Yet another beta has been uploaded, version 0.1.10
    - Reworked highlighting code. The code was simplified a great deal.
    - Added an option in preferences to turn off highlighting
    - Implemented highlighting in all games where it makes sense to me. This includes Canfield, which calculates the lowest card relative to the start rank for that deal.
    - Fixed preferences item for disabling smart auto play
    - Corrected an undo issue where the state was being saved in the middle of an action.
    - Added a preferences option to place the deck on the right side. It defaults to the left.
    - Fixed a number of issues with statistics. Previously if a game was won it wouldn't be added to the statistics until after the new game dialog was closed. This was done because if you select 'new deal' from the menu it uses the same dialog but you can cancel. Now the game will be added to the statistics when the dialog is displayed if it can't be canceled, and will be added when the dialog is closed if it can be canceled.

As usual I'm sure I've forgotten a few things.

EDIT: Not sure if I was clear. The highlighting changes fixed the problem with aces not being highlighted in freecell right after a deal.

Thanks for all the bug reports guys. I really appreciate it. Keep em coming!
    Last edited by minego; 05/19/2010 at 11:56 PM.
  12.    #232  
    Ok I just can't leave things alone. I've just uploaded 0.1.11. Now with preview images on the game selection screen! Finally!
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Unfortunately 0.1.11 comes up as expired. Can I get a little more time for testing? ;-)
    Rgds/Mark M.
  14.    #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    Unfortunately 0.1.11 comes up as expired. Can I get a little more time for testing? ;-)
    I am so sorry. 0.1.12 is being uploaded now, which expires on the 30th. Hopefully I'll be less forgetful next time around. Or, maybe with a little luck I'll have the full app done by then.
    This thought just occurred to me: You mentioned a plan to make directly launchable versions of the games in the solitaire pack (analogous to saving website bookmarks to the launcher?). Since the preferences panel is in the "pack", how will this work? Will the direct-launch game still look to the main preferences? Because what you might consider doing is to freeze the current prefs into the direct-launch version when the user makes it. That way, if people want to make Klondike with the deck on the left, for instance, they make a direct-launch version with that pref setting. Then, when they go back to the main game and put the deck on the right for Canfield, it doesn't affect Klondike. Is that easier/better than prefs for each game? Would it be confusing? Well, it's a thought.

The new highlighting in freecell looks great! And, you beat me to the "statistics not updated with newly won game" issue. And having the deck on the right in Canfield is great! Greatly appreciated!

I noticed in Canfield that the first deal is only two cards. Not sure when this started happening. Should be four to the tableau, one to the foundation, and then deal three.

And, when trying to figure out what was up with that, I did a redeal before playing any cards, and noticed the pot jumped from its starting value of $-47 to $+208. (I'm a little ambivalent about asking for a bug fix there.... )

Then, in freecell (from the solitaire pack): can you make it so that autoplay defers to screen taps? What I mean by that is, towards the end of the game, when there's a lot of cards flying up to the foundations, there may still be lower ranking cards that need to be uncovered. When the user taps the screen, they should get an immediate response.

Card dealing and autoplay seems like it's gotten slower (are those "fighting words" to a programmer?), or is it just me. My Pre isn't exactly patch-free, btw.

This is really coming along nicely!

Regards,
    Tom
    The "deal two" issue in Canfield seems to have disappeared...I'll let you know if pops up again.

But, the undo in Freecell has been acting really weird. It seems to really lag, and once when I definitely only backswiped once it sent me back a good half dozen moves.

Regards,
    Tom
    [added later: posted too soon - finished Canfield game, hit New Deal, and got a 2 card deal]
    Last edited by TomJ; 05/20/2010 at 09:24 PM.
  17.    #237  
    This thought just occurred to me: You mentioned a plan to make directly launchable versions of the games in the solitaire pack (analogous to saving website bookmarks to the launcher?). Since the preferences panel is in the "pack", how will this work? Will the direct-launch game still look to the main preferences? Because what you might consider doing is to freeze the current prefs into the direct-launch version when the user makes it. That way, if people want to make Klondike with the deck on the left, for instance, they make a direct-launch version with that pref setting. Then, when they go back to the main game and put the deck on the right for Canfield, it doesn't affect Klondike. Is that easier/better than prefs for each game? Would it be confusing? Well, it's a thought.
    That feature is already there! Start a game, then in the menu select 'Add to Launcher'. Launching one of these will take you directly to that game. If you want to change preferences you have to go back to the main launcher for now.

I've thought about moving preferences into the individual games, but there are a few reasons I'd rather not. First of all there are already a lot of items in that menu. Secondly many of the options don't apply to all of the games. What do you guys think? Would you prefer the ability to set a different background for each game and things like that?

The new highlighting in freecell looks great! And, you beat me to the "statistics not updated with newly won game" issue. And having the deck on the right in Canfield is great! Greatly appreciated!
    I'm glad you like the highlighting changes. I'm really happy with how that came out.

mmelster reported the stats issue a while back.

I noticed in Canfield that the first deal is only two cards. Not sure when this started happening. Should be four to the tableau, one to the foundation, and then deal three.
    Are you sure it was a new game?

And, when trying to figure out what was up with that, I did a redeal before playing any cards, and noticed the pot jumped from its starting value of $-47 to $+208. (I'm a little ambivalent about asking for a bug fix there.... )
    haha awesome

Then, in freecell (from the solitaire pack): can you make it so that autoplay defers to screen taps? What I mean by that is, towards the end of the game, when there's a lot of cards flying up to the foundations, there may still be lower ranking cards that need to be uncovered. When the user taps the screen, they should get an immediate response.

Card dealing and autoplay seems like it's gotten slower (are those "fighting words" to a programmer?), or is it just me. My Pre isn't exactly patch-free, btw.
    I'll work on it. I'm not happy with it now.

This is really coming along nicely!
    Thanks!
    That feature is already there! Start a game, then in the menu select 'Add to Launcher'. Launching one of these will take you directly to that game. If you want to change preferences you have to go back to the main launcher for now.
    D'Oh! Had no idea this part was already functional. I need to do some exploring.

I've thought about moving preferences into the individual games, but there are a few reasons I'd rather not. First of all there are already a lot of items in that menu. Secondly many of the options don't apply to all of the games. What do you guys think? Would you prefer the ability to set a different background for each game and things like that?
    If I'm understanding correctly that you can get a game set up with the prefs you like, then make it a stand-alone that'll freeze in those prefs, regardless of what you do with prefs in the main app, that should be sufficient. I'll play around with that tomorrow.

And the deal two in Canfield was definitely a new game. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happened after playing one game and then doing a New Deal.

Re: responsiveness, etc. -- I noticed when going back to the official release freecell, it's plenty responsive, and when autoplaying at the end, it responds immediately to screen taps, which I thought I remembered.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Been trying to get in some quality Solitaire time while watching TV with the family. (Try explaining to your spouse that you're testing software, not playing. Didn't work on mine!)

Seems to be getting cleaner. I'm not 100% enamored with the number of dialogs to start a new game. After clicking the icon, then selecting the variant, having to then click deal seems redundant, but that may just be me.

I've also seen the 2 cards to start Canfield, but assumed it was because the first card seeded the stacks at the top.

Undo using the backswipe is definitely slow and I've seen it sometimes undo 3-4 moves despite swiping once.

Stats do still seem a little squirrely so I'm going to go through and reset all of them and start clean.

I'm kind of torn on the settings question. Part of me says it could be kind of cool to set different table backgrounds per each game while another part questions if I'd ever do that. I'm kinda happy with my simple green felt. Any thought about having a random background option? So a user could choose random and then turn on/off Felt, Solid, Wallpaper as options. So for me, I'd turnoff solid and leave on felt and wallpaper. Each time a new game is started, the software picks a random wallpaper. Just an idea.

Alright, back to work. More "testing" later!
    Last edited by mmeltser; 05/21/2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Clarified my thoughts for the random background idea
    Rgds/Mark M.
  20.    #240  
    It doesn't do anything with the prefs. If you use the launcher it just launches right to that game, and uses the same prefs it would otherwise. Even if you use the launcher you can go back and change the prefs, but it isn't clear enough. I'm thinking about ways to improve it, but so far nothing comes to mind.

I have a lot of optimization I can do to speed things up.