Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 388
  1.    #201  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Yeah, that's what I mean. And, once they're filled in, it doesn't matter, because now you know what card comes next.
    Ok that is easy enough. I'll probably do the same for any game where there is a specific start card, like showing an A for freecell and klondike.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    This is a general comment for all such games, but I noticed it specifically playing Canfield (haven't played much Klondike).
    I'll play with it and see if I can get the animation running a bit faster. If I make it go too fast then you won't really see any animation, and I think the animation is important to see what is happening, especially if you don't know the game very well.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    I guess I'm biased by the fact that the version I played on my Palm Tx had the deck on the right (see post #127 this thread). If I try to play Canfield one-handed here, my thumb is constantly covering the screen, as most of the time I'm tapping the deck.

    But I see what you mean about user expectations. Even I would find it odd in Klondike if the deck were on the right, but I think the user is going to be tapping the deck just as much.

    So, is the deck on the left just as standard in Canfield, even though it was on the right for the version on my Tx? (I'm guessing yes.)
    The only other version of Canfield that I've found is in pysol, and it has a layout that is similar to mine. I just took a look at your screenshot though, and I very much see your point. Does that app do klondike as well? If so, what does the layout for klondike look like?

    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    There may be value in offering the option as you suggest, for folks to optimize one-handed play. You could offer the option for each game that seems like it could benefit from an altered layout for right- vs. left-handed play. I'd suggest doing it on a game-by-game basis, since some people may not want all games to stray from "standard" layout, even if it's more playable for their handedness.
    Maybe I'll have a "Deck Position" option, and default most games to left. If you tap on the item in preferences I can show a new screen that gives the option for each game with a deck, letting you choose left or right for each.

    I think I'd make the default for canfield right, just because I don't see much of a "standard". Klondike on the other hand I'll default to left. I think I'd end up switching it to right, but I can't assume that everyone would want to.
  2. #202  
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    I think the animation is important to see what is happening, especially if you don't know the game very well.
    Yes, I think that's absolutely true. I'm not sure what was off-putting about it first -- partly it takes a little too long, but maybe because it's a little jerky right now. It just seemed like there was something wrong....

    Looking at it again more closely...the very first deal looks good; the way the first card goes to position one and flips, card two goes further out and flips, etc. But on subsequent deals, each goes out to position three. Maybe for subsequent deals you could first collapse the three face-up cards to one, and then deal out the three cards like you do on the first deal. Did that make sense? Obviously this is only for deal-three games.

    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    I just took a look at your screenshot though, and I very much see your point. Does that app do klondike as well? If so, what does the layout for klondike look like?
    Well, whad'ya know:

    Klondike.png

    Wasn't even sure if this collection had Klondike, 'til you asked. And, for completeness, here's Spider:


    spider.png

    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    I think I'd make the default for canfield right, just because I don't see much of a "standard". Klondike on the other hand I'll default to left. I think I'd end up switching it to right, but I can't assume that everyone would want to.
    That sounds good. I think folks will appreciate the option, whether to accommodate one-handed playing, or to make it look like they're used to, no matter the cost to playability.

    Regards,
    Tom
  3. #203  
    Canfield Bug: couldn't get a red King to play on a black ace in a tableau (by tap or drag). I bet this is the first game where that particular play is even an option(?).

    Regards,
    Tom
  4.    #204  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Yes, I think that's absolutely true. I'm not sure what was off-putting about it first -- partly it takes a little too long, but maybe because it's a little jerky right now. It just seemed like there was something wrong....

    Looking at it again more closely...the very first deal looks good; the way the first card goes to position one and flips, card two goes further out and flips, etc. But on subsequent deals, each goes out to position three. Maybe for subsequent deals you could first collapse the three face-up cards to one, and then deal out the three cards like you do on the first deal. Did that make sense? Obviously this is only for deal-three games.


    Well, whad'ya know:

    Klondike.png

    Wasn't even sure if this collection had Klondike, 'til you asked. And, for completeness, here's Spider:


    spider.png



    That sounds good. I think folks will appreciate the option, whether to accommodate one-handed playing, or to make it look like they're used to, no matter the cost to playability.

    Regards,
    Tom

    Interesting. That doesn't look bad for klondike, but I still think the default should be the more familiar layout. I'm really liking the option of having the deck on the right though. I'm torn about doing it per game, or just having one setting though.

    That is spiderette, not spider (mine does both now). Spider is a bit insane on a handheld. It uses 10 tableaus.
  5.    #205  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Canfield Bug: couldn't get a red King to play on a black ace in a tableau (by tap or drag). I bet this is the first game where that particular play is even an option(?).

    Regards,
    Tom
    Doh! Yeah this the first game that allowed that, and I totally over looked it. In most of the games an ace is a low value (1). Aces up treats an aces as a high value (I assign it as a 14 in code. A 1 and a 14 are both rendered as an ace in my code).

    It shouldn't be all that hard to work around. I'd like to post a new version tonight, but I don't think I'm going to be able to. My laptop died today. I'm working on a netbook now. I can work on the game on this machine, but I lost most of the day and need to catch up for my day job.

    Even so I'll try to get an update tonight so you can play canfield.
  6. markm's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Canfield Bug: couldn't get a red King to play on a black ace in a tableau (by tap or drag). I bet this is the first game where that particular play is even an option(?).

    Regards,
    Tom
    Heck, I thought he was doing that on purpose to make it harder! ;-)
    Rgds/Mark M.
  7.    #207  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    Heck, I thought he was doing that on purpose to make it harder! ;-)
    Ha! You just made me laugh for the first time today. Oi, what a day.

    I found the problem. I had handled cards wrapping in the foundations, but not in the tableaus. I'm going to verify the fix, and then post a new version. This will be the only change from the previous version.
  8.    #208  
    Ok, I finally verified the fix. I'll post the new version now.

    Also I totally see what you're talking about with the 3 cards being dealt. I'm sure I can improve that. I think I actually made it worse recently. I changed the code around to fix a strange klondike bug, and did fix the bug, but caused some strange artifacts. Now the top card is always to the far right. So the first card is dealt to the right, then the next is dealt to the right, pushing the previous one over and so on. Makes sense in code, but in practice it is odd.

    I think I can improve it. I just have to think it through a bit. I may be able to make the animation smoother as well, but I'm not sure yet.
  9. markm's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #209  
    Yeah, my laptop harddrive failed a few months ago. Seriously sucked. Now, after the fact, I'm better at backing everything up!! I definitely feel for you.

    The next time you're poking around Canfield code, here's an odd one. Select Canfield from the main page. Choose How to Play. The screen comes up blank (I assume you haven't done that yet). Then swipe back. It take you back to the main page, but the layout is distorted.

    Another variation. Tap Canfield and when the menu comes up, swipe back. Nothing happens, but now try to bring up the game or help. Neither button works.
    Rgds/Mark M.
  10. #210  
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    Interesting. That doesn't look bad for klondike, but I still think the default should be the more familiar layout. I'm really liking the option of having the deck on the right though. I'm torn about doing it per game, or just having one setting though.
    Well, I think one universal setting would be plenty....

    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    That is spiderette, not spider (mine does both now). Spider is a bit insane on a handheld. It uses 10 tableaus.
    To be honest, I wouldn't know a spider from a spiderette -- yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser
    Heck, I thought he was doing that on purpose to make it harder! ;-)
    Well, it does do that!

    Looking forward to the new version -- condolences on the laptop.

    Regards,
    Tom
  11.    #211  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    Yeah, my laptop harddrive failed a few months ago. Seriously sucked. Now, after the fact, I'm better at backing everything up!! I definitely feel for you.

    The next time you're poking around Canfield code, here's an odd one. Select Canfield from the main page. Choose How to Play. The screen comes up blank (I assume you haven't done that yet). Then swipe back. It take you back to the main page, but the layout is distorted.

    Another variation. Tap Canfield and when the menu comes up, swipe back. Nothing happens, but now try to bring up the game or help. Neither button works.
    Luckily my hard drive is fine. It was the "logic board" in my mac book pro. I took it to an apple store tonight, and because I'm so far past the warranty and it has a few dents they want $1300 to fix it. It isn't worth that much.

    You're right about the "How to Play" page. I haven't written the pages for canfield or aces up yet. I just verified both bugs. Thanks!
  12.    #212  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Well, I think one universal setting would be plenty....



    To be honest, I wouldn't know a spider from a spiderette -- yet.


    Well, it does do that!

    Looking forward to the new version -- condolences on the laptop.

    Regards,
    Tom
    Ok, I'll go with the one setting. It should be a pretty quick change. I'll have to spend a few minutes on each game making sure the layout looks ok, but it shouldn't take long.

    Thanks for the condolences. It is really weird going from a 17" laptop to a 10". Hopefully I'll be able to replace it pretty quickly.
  13.    #213  
    Ok I just reproduced and fixed both of the bugs with the choose game dialog. Thanks again!
  14. markm's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #214  
    Ouch! I guess that's a negative of a Mac to balance against the positives. A couple more things for you to take a gander. I can't get any of the Spiderettes to play and after winning 1 suit spider I chose "Choose game" and got an upside down blank grey screen that said Beta in the corner. A bit odd even for midnight. :-)
    Rgds/Mark M.
  15.    #215  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    Ouch! I guess that's a negative of a Mac to balance against the positives. A couple more things for you to take a gander. I can't get any of the Spiderettes to play and after winning 1 suit spider I chose "Choose game" and got an upside down blank grey screen that said Beta in the corner. A bit odd even for midnight. :-)
    GAH! I forgot to commit the css file for spiderette to source control. The last build was made from the netbook, so it didn't include that file. Oops. Oh well, I can recreate it if I need to.

    So the beta was on the bottom left corner? I assume as much because otherwise how would you tell that a blank screen was upside down?
  16. #216  
    Canfield 0.1.7: should be able to drag an entire tableau to the bottom of another tableau, but can't.

    Regards,
    Tom
  17.    #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Canfield 0.1.7: should be able to drag an entire tableau to the bottom of another tableau, but can't.

    Regards,
    Tom
    Oh, I misunderstood the rules then. I just tried it in pysol, and you're right. I don't know what I was thinking.

    btw, while reading up on canfield I found a page on wikipedia that described the origins of canfield. It claimed that it was used for gambling and that the player "bought" the cards for $50 and then got $5 for each card placed into the foundations. Is this scoring fairly common? It should be pretty easy to show a dollar amount in the status text.
  18.    #218  
    0.1.8 beta is up. Now canfield allows dragging a sequence of cards from a tableau, and spiderette should be working again.
  19. markm's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #219  
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    So the beta was on the bottom left corner? I assume as much because otherwise how would you tell that a blank screen was upside down?
    Actually, I think it may have been in the bottom right, but it was late and I have a early morning so I may be mistaken. I'll try again with the latest beta.

    Either way, good point on the blank screen and telling it was flipped. I think if it were totally blank, it kinda looks blank in every direction.

    Edit: I tried again and it's consistent. When I tap "Change Game" after winning, I get a blank grey screen with the Beta banner in the lower right and upside down. I'm playing in landscape and I've repeated in spider (1 suit) and now in Golf (relaxed).
    Last edited by mmeltser; 05/18/2010 at 06:21 AM.
    Rgds/Mark M.
  20.    #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    Actually, I think it may have been in the bottom right, but it was late and I have a early morning so I may be mistaken. I'll try again with the latest beta.

    Either way, good point on the blank screen and telling it was flipped. I think if it were totally blank, it kinda looks blank in every direction.

    Edit: I tried again and it's consistent. When I tap "Change Game" after winning, I get a blank grey screen with the Beta banner in the lower right and upside down. I'm playing in landscape and I've repeated in spider (1 suit) and now in Golf (relaxed).
    Yup, it looks like the 'change game' button on the new game dialog is busted. Nice catch.
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions