Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rockandchelle View Post
    AlbanyHDTV,

Have you tried this?

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...roved-gps.html

I haven't tried a round yet with GolfPinFinder, but after applying this patch I went for a run yesterday using Jog Stats and had the screen off, and it never lost GPS.
    I also submitted an update to GolfPinFinder with this "patch" included in it for Verizon users. I figure it can't hurt anything but it also may not improve anything either. The update should be approved in the next day or so.

I've been aware of the details of this patch method for some time as I asked Palm about it a few weeks ago in the developer forum area. Since they are blatantly ignoring the question, it's got to mean something...
    moserjj must "Calendar Challenged." Summer doesn't start until June 21,2010. I'd buy it for $4.99 too.
    Hi moserjj - On your website it has a link to purchase your program for $4.99 at Palm. When I click the link, Palm states it's $9.95. I'm confused.

http://appjammers.com/applications/golfpinfinder/

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Newboy View Post
    Hi moserjj - On your website it has a link to purchase your program for $4.99 at Palm. When I click the link, Palm states it's $9.95. I'm confused.

Palm Pre Golf GPS - Palm Pixi Golf GPS - Golf GPS for Palm webOS

Thanks.
    The app catalog is correct, the price is currently $9.95.
    Ok. Just checking.
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    The app catalog is correct, the price is currently $9.95.
    Still a steal. Want to defray the cost? Using GPF during a round (without letting the others in your foursome request distances from you) should allow you to take at least $10 from them... Problem solved! Now you get GPF for free after one round!
    I played a 9 hole round yesterday while using Free Caddie Trial.

Earlier in the day, I downloaded the program and noted a 30 day trial period length. I believe GPF was a 14 day trial period.

My home course was not listed in the available courses, so I went to the freecaddie.com website and created a free account. I then went through the process to map the three 9 hole courses where I play the most. It used Bing aerial photos to plot the locations. I entered the front, middle, and back green locations, plus several other hazards and sand trap locations. It was pretty simple and took me about 30 minutes to map the 27 holes. One interesting note is that it allowed the user to switch between Bing and Google maps. The pin locations were off by 10+/- yards when I switched to Google maps. I moved all the pin locations to conform with the Google maps, since I used Google maps in the BBGPSgolf database used in GPF.

The no-nonsense yardage (lack of graphics) on the main screen was easy on the eyes. However, it only shows distances to the front, center, and rear of the green. It does not include distances to the hazards or sand that I entered into the database, unless you press the "Markers" button at the bottom.

Free Caddie did have a way to measure the length of your drive via the "Shot" button, similar to GPF.

There is only the ability to keep score for an individual, not everyone in your foursome. Apparently, the Android version has the ability to keep score for 4 people. After pressing the "Score" button on the main screen, a complete scorecard was brought up and then you needed to press the location next to the individual hole you wanted to score.

I felt this was an unnecessary step. It should just take you to the score input screen for the hole you are presently on. When entering a score, it defaulted to a score of zero rather than the value of par for the current hole. In order to enter a score, you pressed large "+" or "-" buttons, which I found to be easier than having a drop down menu appear with numerical scores in GPF.

The Free Caddie program did not automatically advance to the next hole after entering a score, which I found slightly bothersome.

There also no way to send my score via email or MMS. I found the ability to email the scorecard in GPF a nice bonus. Free Caddie did allow you to upload your scorecard to their database.

I found a few things that contradicted the information posted on the Free Caddie website:

1. Trial Version can download more than one course
    2. Trial Version can document length of individual shots
    3. Trial Version will show you distances to bunkers & hazards
    4. Trial Version does allow scoring
    5. Pro version is actually $9.95 in the App Catalog, not $14.95

It seems as if the trial version is a full featured Pro version with a 30 day limit.

My experience with the the timeliness of the yardage readings was sporadic. Nearly every time, it would display "???" for the yardage and "Waiting for GPS" when I took my Pre out of my pocket.

I know this is a limitation of the Verizon Pre and its crippled GPS. Earlier in the day, I experimented by installing the Enable Verizon aGPS Server patch. It didn't seem to help. I kept VZ Navigator running in the background and my screen set to "Never" turn off in hopes of getting the best possible GPS service. I also did a reset of the Pre prior to starting my round, as was suggested previously.

If I had been riding in a cart and kept my Pre in a cupholder rather than walking and keeping my Pre in my pocket, it's possible the GPS chip would have stayed active and shown a yardage in a more timely manner.

Overall, I felt Free Caddie got the job done, but I would give a slight advantage to Golf Pin Finder. Here's some advantages I found in Golf Pin Finder that were not in Free Caddie:

1. GPF can keep score for all people in your group
    2. GPF shows your overall score at the top of the main screen instead of on a seperate scorecard page
    3. GPF allowed you to send the scorecard via email to whomever you choose
    4. GPF automatically advanced to the next hole after a score was entered
    5. GPF used the larger BBGPSgolf database for course information
    6. GPF showed the distances to hazards and bunkers on the main screen
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post
    Overall, I felt Free Caddie got the job done, but I would give a slight advantage to Golf Pin Finder. Here's some advantages I found in Golf Pin Finder that were not in Free Caddie:

1. GPF can keep score for all people in your group
    2. GPF shows your overall score at the top of the main screen instead of on a seperate scorecard page
    3. GPF allowed you to send the scorecard via email to whomever you choose
    4. GPF automatically advanced to the next hole after a score was entered
    5. GPF used the larger BBGPSgolf database for course information
    6. GPF showed the distances to hazards and bunkers on the main screen
    Awesome "review" of Free Caddie!! However, with those 6 points, I would say it is more than a "slight advantage". The things you point out in your list of 6 items are some of my best loved features!!
    Golf Pin Finder is now $4.98 in the App Catalog through July 9th.
    I used the full version of Golf Caddie for the first time last weekend. I'm Verizon so I had to go through all of the tricks to get the GPS to work, but in the end t was a very useful tool. I only used it to find distances to doglegs, bunkers, edge of green, etc. I didn't enter my score or anything, so that part of the app didn't concern me. I found that taking my Pre+ out of my pocket once or twice per hole to check a distance didn't kill my battery. I had wifi off and data and GPS on and had about 75% of my battery left at the end of the round. It was 100% when I started of course.

Your results (and my future results) may (and probably will) vary.
    I have used GPF trial for 3 rounds of 18. Starting with full charge (or as much as I have from home) I can get thru with 30-40% left. I have at&t and do nothing special. I do turn off wifi.
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm M515 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre+ at&t - HP 32G Touchpad - HP Pre3 at&t
    I have an at&t Pre + ... where do I find the setting "GPS with screen off" ?
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm M515 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre+ at&t - HP 32G Touchpad - HP Pre3 at&t
    Never mind ... I found it. It is in the App Preferences. I thought it was a phone preference.
    I used GPF for the first time last Friday and it was great! I knew the course somewhat so I mainly used it to get distance on my 2nd shots and par 3s. Left phone and data on, set GPS to stay on with screen off, checked email several times during the round, and used slightly less than 50% of the stock Pre battery. The yardage was very accurate, and my playing partner with the $300 skycaddy was jealous of my $5 GPF! Now if Moser can take the next step to have GPF improve my swing execution, I will be ecstatic!
    For those of you with Verizon service, there is a new app & patch combo that starts & keeps the Pre Plus' GPS receiver "awake" for you automatically.

It's called GPSfix and both the patch and app are available for free via Preware. Just do a search for GPSfix in Preware.

Here's a link to the forum thread on GPSfix.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12