Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    1) I want the thrifty shopper app. The one that you point your phone at item or barcode and it finds the cheapest prices for you.

2) I want shazam. The app that you run when you hear a song you like and it tells you who sings it and what is the songs name.

As far as I understand, the only reason they are not available is because the SDK does not have a way to control the mic or the camera. Is that correct? If so, did Palm give any clues as to whether they are making any effort to make these features available?

I know they suspended production of new phones to clear some inventory, but is the R&D still running or are these guys on temporary unemployment?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    1) I want the thrifty shopper app. The one that you point your phone at item or barcode and it finds the cheapest prices for you.

2) I want shazam. The app that you run when you hear a song you like and it tells you who sings it and what is the songs name.

As far as I understand, the only reason they are not available is because the SDK does not have a way to control the mic or the camera. Is that correct? If so, did Palm give any clues as to whether they are making any effort to make these features available?

I know they suspended production of new phones to clear some inventory, but is the R&D still running or are these guys on temporary unemployment?
    your assumptions are 1/2 correct for the most part. The camera does not have an autofocus feature, thus you will never see a barcode scanner on the Pre or Pixi. The only small glimmer of hope is that there are hidden features in the camera that would allow some camera control. It seems highly unlikely.

Palm has not release API access to the mic. If/when they do, shazam-like apps should be relatively quick and easy to develop.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    there was a precentral article saying shopsavy is coming and the recent ruby interview with fortune tells us that most of palms money is going to r&d now.
    I'd LOVE Shazaam, it's the one app I miss from android.