Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1.    #1  
    so it looks the ipad (only a few weeks old) is getting widget (dashboard) support. check out the article over at engadget , while this is a good idea i think it defeats the purpose since it is an application that must run and be in focus to use in order to be useful.

    I sure hope that someone out there can figure out how we can make use of our amazing multitasking abilities to put desktop widgets to use. i know im not the only one out there who would love something like this!!
  2. #2  
    yes the widget base OS has been around way back with windows mobile spb shell interface (where do you think the android design birthed from). Me myself like a elegant OS like Web OS, and don't like clutter on a home screen, but I guess thats just my opinion. Just because its in your face, dosent mean we should stear towards it imo.
  3. #3  
    Someone may correct me ... but I don't believe the code that would handle this part of webOS is accessible (i.e. not written in javascript/html). So it's not really possible as a patch and Palm doesn't really provide the APIs to do something like widgets.

    I think something like an Active Card app is the best option, and I'm a little surprised there aren't a few more choices like this. Not sure I really understand why this "defeats the purpose". Since phones have such tiny screens you have to go to the "home" screen anyway to see your widgets ... and since you can keep a webOS app open all the time and get to it with a couple of flicks ... it would seem to be almost the same to me?

    Personally I much prefer the clean look and card UI of webOS over widgets. I think it gets you essentially the same functionality with a much more elegant design.
  4. xtn
    xtn is offline
    xtn's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #4  
    So Android has multiple home screens. And you can, for example, put weather widget on one of them, and just swipe over to that home screen when you want to see the weather.

    So how is that any kind of advantage to leaving the weather app open and swiping over to it's card when you want to see it?
  5. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #5  
    There is dashboard support. Weather Dadhboard and Morestocks are two apps I use that run in the dashboard without a card open.
  6. #6  
    ClearCard only has a time/date widget right now, but can be set to automatically be in focus when your screen is unlocked.

    You can also combine it with the free Ultimate Wallpaper app to get weather.
  7. #7  
    Ultimate Wallpaper shows off the ingenuity of coders to create something useful out of nothing. The potential behind dynamic wallpapers seems to me to be enough for any kind of information you need to have at hand. UWP may not have the best look, but it works, and eventually someone will write an app that is more customizable.
  8. #8  
    I went from a Android phone to a Pre and like the way Palms OS is.

    On the android phone I didn't use widgets because they made the battery die faster. So if they came to the Palm OS I'm sure they would do the same.
  9. #9  
    Battery draining or not I would like to have a good weather widget along with a large clock on the home screen.
  10. #10  
    ....i have weathericon...
  11. #11  
    weatherIcon was good but my next app will be even better. Check the "weatherIcon thread for more http://www.box.net/shared/bj9hdvjqsl
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    weatherIcon was good but my next app will be even better. Check the "weatherIcon thread for more widgetclockbeta_2010-08-08_044938.png - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
    looks great! .. how far off are you from release?
  13. anifan's Avatar
    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #13  
    My issue with widgets on webOS is that they'd be covered up by cards.
  14. #14  
    I think leaving a few cards open and using 'Advanced Gestures' too works just as well, if not better. I love the elegance and simplicity of webOS. Swipe here, swipe there, etc. I really don't think a weather app, clock app, or any of these apps that some want as "widgets" take near as much battery when that card is is not in view vs. having a "widget" on the homescreen always active when it's unnecessary. I'm glad that Palm didn't bloat the OS with those types of things, just my opinion.
  15. kbo
    kbo is offline
    kbo's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    I think leaving a few cards open and using 'Advanced Gestures' too works just as well, if not better. I love the elegance and simplicity of webOS. Swipe here, swipe there, etc. I really don't think a weather app, clock app, or any of these apps that some want as "widgets" take near as much battery when that card is is not in view vs. having a "widget" on the homescreen always active when it's unnecessary. I'm glad that Palm didn't bloat the OS with those types of things, just my opinion.
    +1

    My friend had a hero for a very short while. I hated all of the widgets. I prefer the clean look of webOS.
  16. jeffmcc's Avatar
    Posts
    619 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearWater View Post
    ClearCard only has a time/date widget right now, but can be set to automatically be in focus when your screen is unlocked.

    You can also combine it with the free Ultimate Wallpaper app to get weather.
    i never got the point of clearcard...and the demo was stupid

    NOT "HP webOS"!!!
  17. #17  
    Never been a fan of widgets ... maybe I just haven't found really good ones to use yet?
  18. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #18  
    I really don't think widgets would work on WebOS.

    I'm using Android at the moment and I tried some widgets, then just got very bored with them. Useless. Also, like someone else said... wouldn't really work with the card thing.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    I really don't think widgets would work on WebOS.

    I'm using Android at the moment and I tried some widgets, then just got very bored with them. Useless. Also, like someone else said... wouldn't really work with the card thing.
    Widgets are FAR from useless.
  20. Nettwerk's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    #20  
    I don't like widgets but one of things is missing. Calendar on homescreen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions