Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I would at least like a weather widget
    ...you can put calendar and weather icon down on the launcher bar...they update and all...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I think many people here who are fiercly opposed to widgets "I hate widgets, I want a clean screen on my Zen pebble" miss the fact that widgets can be removed. So if widgets were available, people who want them could have them and people that don't can have their plain wallpaper. Simples.

Only issue, as has been mentioned is that cards would cover widgets. It's also a different UI paradigm, having a single home screen with mutiple launcher screens and having multiple screens (with widgets) and a single launcher window are very different ways of working a device.

Many people here think that keeping cards open is a satisfactory alternative to having widgets. I think there's a slight difference between keeping small widgets running and loading and keeping full apps open. The point of widgets is an "at a glance" way of seeing info without loading up/waiting for full apps/websites to give you the info you want.

If there was a way to have cards go transparent or fade out when you wanted to see your widgets that would be a good way (I'm thinking of the Maemo 5 interface where you switch between the task switcher and the app launcher). I have to say the only thing I miss from WebOS since leaving Android is my widgets.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I would love to have widgets as an option (weather, larger clock, synergystic calendar that can show my items for the day, even a picture viewer....) I like having the ability to customize my home screens. I find myself a-retentively closing cards throughout the day and would prefer a dashboard with mulitple widgets because they would be all in one place, rather than having to swipe between cards with just one peice of info each. And ya, for those that don't like wedgets, they can just turn them off. Also, dashboard apps now cause the notification area to grow, and I like my screen to be as big as possible for my apps so I always swipe off notifications.
    widgets would be useless on webos. Just leave cards open. If I wanted widgets I would have bought an android phone, lord help me... I just threw up in my mouth thinking about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    widgets would be useless on webos. Just leave cards open. If I wanted widgets I would have bought an android phone, lord help me... I just threw up in my mouth thinking about it!
    Drama queen!
    Widgets would just be another way to customize your device, to be used by those that like them and avoided by those who don't. Not like someone could force you to install one!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Widgets would just be another way to customize your device, to be used by those that like them and avoided by those who don't. Not like someone could force you to install one!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    ...not needed...
    No one's mentioned the notification area. It's interactive, visible when the phone is locked and can easily be displayed when other cards are in focus. What more do you want from a widget? Quick System Tasks is a great example.
    gee, I can't see what's wrong with asking for another bit of functionality? It is really quite hard to understand people who are saying "I hate widgets, they are useless, so never, ever!" Well, you don't like them, you delete them from your home screen and you are back to your stock clean home screen.

I would rather have a big clock, weather, 2-3 contacts shortcuts and some clever calendar agenda (like "next meeting in ..."), all available at a glance, without sweeping & poking around. And maybe a timer widget as well. At least in Touchstone mode. You can see the need of that stuff to be configurable already.

That waste of screen area when no cards are displayed is a crime, on a mobile device, where every pixel counts.

I am sorely missing "configurable glanceability" of other mobile shells on the WebOS. I understand different UI paradigm, and possible problems in implementing this in a consistent way on WebOS, but that would be really good thing to have.

Hell, if someone provides that "clear card", but one that could've been configured to take in couple of widgets, that could actually do the trick.

Regards
    Wait... I have an iPad! This is sweet BTW, a few widgets would be nice, for heavily used apps.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    Quote Originally Posted by mich.bushi View Post
    I would rather have a big clock, weather, 2-3 contacts shortcuts and some clever calendar agenda (like "next meeting in ..."), all available at a glance, without sweeping & poking around. And maybe a timer widget as well. At least in Touchstone mode. You can see the need of that stuff to be configurable already.
    WebOS 2.0 (in regards to TouchStone mode)
    if they do apply widgets to future webOS devices or software I hope it's able to work with app like switcharoo...

one of the reasons I didn't like that weather app is because it canceled out my switcharoo app.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I like options personally. While some users here are saying no to widgets because they like the clean and clutter free look of webos, others like above are saying just leave a bunch of cards open? How does leaving a bunch of cards constantly open give the device a clean and clutter free experience??!

Quite frankly there should be an OPTION for users to enable widgets or not in webos. If you don't like them and prefer cards or notifications, then just don't use them. But others like myself miss the old Today screen on WM and the 2day+TakePhone combo on GarnetOS on my old Treos. Notifications are great but there isn't anywhere on webos where you can natively see ALL your appointments, tasks, memos, missed calls, alerts, weather etc on ONE page like you can on other platforms. Having a single place or space to see all that information without having to switch cards or swipe notifications is big weakness of the platform imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12