Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    You know...like, does it have the hardware to handle those "cool to show off" apps like iPhone and Droid?...

    My brother just recently got an Eris, and I was playing around with it the other day...they seem to have the same stuff as the iPhone, like bumptoshareapps app, prankcaller apps and the throwandcatchtoshareapps app, which I still think is pretty neat lol (all free, btw)...I was just wondering if Pre was capable of stuff like that, as I have yet to see them (yes, our app catalog sucks in my opinion...but I know it's young)...

    If it's just an issue with having those developers develop for the webOS platform, then I wonder what it'd take to have them bring some of that creativity over this way...it'd be nice to have stuff like that, rather than random public-domain books/pictures of bikini girls as apps lol...anybody know?...
  2. #2  
    I hope in time the app selection gets better with the palm. They seem to be behind in apps compared to Apple, Android and Black Berry.

    I still love this phone though..
  3. #3  
    We don't need "cool apps" to show off...WebOS in all it's glory has made many an iPhone user jealous enough!
  4. #4  
    Palm is trying. The phone is capable. It will happen if someone writes the app for it.
  5. #5  
    Palm really needs to get going on the app front or they're toast. As the editorial on precentral said recently, they need camera and microphone support for developers. Not only that, but they need to court developers as well. This phone is severely lacking for "cool" apps. They have 2-3 months to change this until the EVO is released (not to mention the verizon iphone), otherwise, I'd say Palm is a goner.
  6. Jayrot's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #6  
    I couldn't agree more. WebOS is already at the top of the chart as far as the OS and usability is concerned, but the reality is that today's smartphones live and die by the App ecosystem. We're really lacking some nice, polished apps that do "cool" things.

    At the moment, though, we have:

    Grooveshark
    Pandora
    MyTether
    Geotasks / Geostrings
  7. #7  
    Cool for me would be document editing, spreadsheet, powerpoint, select/cut/copy, drag & drop text between cards.

    And to be able to view WMV, avi, & mpeg files.
  8. #8  
    we have a prank caller app called ispoofcard, spoofs your number and voice and their other service trapcall now works with sprint...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisott9628 View Post
    We don't need "cool apps" to show off...WebOS in all it's glory has made many an iPhone user jealous enough!
    Nobody "needs" cool apps...

    But showing my phone to guys and saying "ooh, look, cards" doesn't have nearly as much shock value as taking a picture of anything and having your phone turn it into a PDF, or actually THROWING an app and having someone catch it like some sort of magic trick lol...

    The reason I want to see these apps on my Palm Pre rather than just buying a Droid/iPhone is BECAUSE I love webOS, obviously...
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by FleetwoodSho View Post
    Nobody "needs" cool apps...

    But showing my phone to guys and saying "ooh, look, cards" doesn't have nearly as much shock value as taking a picture of anything and having your phone turn it into a PDF, or actually THROWING an app and having someone catch it like some sort of magic trick lol...

    The reason I want to see these apps on my Palm Pre rather than just buying a Droid/iPhone is BECAUSE I love webOS, obviously...
    Actually I have had quite a few iPhone fanatics be pretty shocked when I casually pause a game to look something up on wikipedia, check my facebook, send an email, reply to a text and then go right back into the game... All they could say was "You didn't have to close your game to do all that?"
  11. #11  
    I think if Palm were to look at the top useful apps Apple, Android and Black Berry have and some how try and get those ported over to Palm that would be a good first step.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post
    I think if Palm were to look at the top useful apps Apple, Android and Black Berry have and some how try and get those ported over to Palm that would be a good first step.
    +1

    Great name by the way!
  13. #13  
    Well I am suffering from app envy. I wish I could follow MLB as well as the iphone users (MLB.com is really not the same), watch my slingbox as my flight is delayed yet again or follow the tiger open .... sorry I mean the Masters this week.

    I may be pushed towards the ipad just for the mobile apps that I wish were on my phone. I still love the Pre but my envy is becoming noticeable.
  14. #14  
    I thought the at&t didnt allow the slingbox and you could only use it via wifi? I am missing my slingbox..only good thing about windows mobile. But flash would help solve that problem I think... flash will def make a huge impact.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisott9628 View Post
    +1

    Great name by the way!

    Haha thanks!

    I think the apps give the Iphone the edge it has. If people were to give a constructive answer on why they truly like their Iphones it would probably be all the apps it has and maybe itunes.


    So lets just say every phone had access to the same apps would the Iphone be as popular? I don't think so.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post
    Haha thanks!

    I think the apps give the Iphone the edge it has. If people were to give a constructive answer on why they truly like their Iphones it would probably be all the apps it has and maybe itunes.


    So lets just say every phone had access to the same apps would the Iphone be as popular? I don't think so.
    Well said!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post
    So lets just say every phone had access to the same apps would the Iphone be as popular? I don't think so.
    Exactly. I think the same thing could be said for Android, on a smaller scale. Thats why Apple feels so threatened by them!

    I've only had my Pre for 3 weeks, and I love the phone. Great OS. Lame app selection...but I can be patient if I see signs that Palm is fixing the situation.

    I got my gf a Pre this weekend. She is NOT impressed at all with the lack of apps. I think we might have to exchange it for a Hero/Moment.
  18. #18  
    Recent developer test results show that Pre is not capable of "cool" apps.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by makitaki View Post
    Exactly. I think the same thing could be said for Android, on a smaller scale. Thats why Apple feels so threatened by them!

    I've only had my Pre for 3 weeks, and I love the phone. Great OS. Lame app selection...but I can be patient if I see signs that Palm is fixing the situation.

    I got my gf a Pre this weekend. She is NOT impressed at all with the lack of apps. I think we might have to exchange it for a Hero/Moment.

    Ya, I just left a android phone and still feel they are behind still. A lot of buggy stuff and not organized.

Posting Permissions