Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by haeffb View Post
    It's not a bug, it's working as designed. Just designed poorly.

Version 0.5.3 also includes a fix for this.
    Thank you for responding and fixing faster than I can log in
  2.    #802  
    Quote Originally Posted by aa6vh View Post
    Yes, I do agree that technically the internal working of "Completed Tasks" may differ from other criteria. I am aware of the processing that goes on behind the scenes (especially the difference when a task is a simple repeat versus an advanced repeat).

But to the average user, there is no difference. Either "Custom Lists" have filters that are independent of the main preference filters, or they do not. Having some filters that work one way, and others that work another way just frustrates people, and detracts from what is otherwise a great application.

And to answer your question: I have one custom list that just shows unchecked tasks. I have another custom list that shows "Starred" tasks, and needs to show both checked and unchecked.

I am only belaboring this issue because it is something that was just broken in one of the recent changes. I want Done! to succeed, if for no other reason than my selfesh desire to have it continue to be supported and enhanced.
    Please, belabor away. I'm only asking these questions because I want to make sure it's right. (Like I said above, I could argue either side - you just happened to pick your side first...)

I see the "Hide Completed" as more of an application setting than a filter setting (perhaps it should be moved somewhere else in Prefs). It only keeps the completed tasks in the list until the next day. After midnight, they're gonzo. Some folks like to see their completed tasks hang around until the end of the day - it gives a sense of accomplishment. Some people prefer to see them gone immediately.

You didn't really answer the question, though. Do you have regular lists where you'd like to see completed tasks hang around for a day, but not so in custom lists?

Personally, I expect that people would want the same behavior in custom lists as in the regular lists - insofar as the "Hide Completed" behavior is concerned.

And from this side of the discussion, I could say it just finally became fixed in the latest updates...not broken at all.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haeffb View Post
    Please, belabor away. I'm only asking these questions because I want to make sure it's right. (Like I said above, I could argue either side - you just happened to pick your side first...)

I see the "Hide Completed" as more of an application setting than a filter setting (perhaps it should be moved somewhere else in Prefs). It only keeps the completed tasks in the list until the next day. After midnight, they're gonzo. Some folks like to see their completed tasks hang around until the end of the day - it gives a sense of accomplishment. Some people prefer to see them gone immediately.

You didn't really answer the question, though. Do you have regular lists where you'd like to see completed tasks hang around for a day, but not so in custom lists?

Personally, I expect that people would want the same behavior in custom lists as in the regular lists - insofar as the "Hide Completed" behavior is concerned.

And from this side of the discussion, I could say it just finally became fixed in the latest updates...not broken at all.
    To tell you the truth, I only use Custom Lists. I like to be able to determine the order that my tasks are displayed, and custom lists are a lot more flexible in this area.

And why I consider this a bug:

I specify in my custom list to filter out checked items. And that filter does not work! Checked tasks are still being displayed! And it works correctly in previous versions of Done!

The discussion was conducted previously, as to whether or not the global filters should effect custom lists. And the decision was made then that global filters should NOT effect custom lists. I totally agree with that decision, as it is the most logical one. And in my opinion, any exceptions just confuses people, and should be eliminated.

However, as the developer, if you decide you want it to work differently, then I would suggest your remove the "Completed" filter from Custom lists, since it no longer works as expected.
  4.    #804  
    Quote Originally Posted by aa6vh View Post
    However, as the developer, if you decide you want it to work differently, then I would suggest your remove the "Completed" filter from Custom lists, since it no longer works as expected.
    The "Completed" filter works perfectly in Custom lists. The only question is whether you want completed tasks removed immediately, or at the end of the day. And the preference lets you choose.

I really can't see any reason why that particular setting should work differently in Custom Lists as opposed to the predefined lists.

Does it negatively impact your use of the app to turn "Hide Completed" on in Preferences?
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    As I stated earlier, I am only pointing this out because I believe that it is confusing to regular users.

It would be interesting to hear from others as to what they think about this.

I also think that good documentation on this specific parameter and how it effects the custem filter would alleviate some of my concern.
  6.    #806  
    Version 0.5.7 uploaded - changes how Done! loads tasks/notes to fix issues some users were having with tasks never loading.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Hi Brian

I "only" have about 250 tasks in my Toodledo.
    However. Switching between different display modes or filters tends to become pretty slow.
    Is there a way to speed up things?
    Could a native version with the use of the Hybrid/PDK give a significant speed bump?
    If yes, are you eventually already working on a native version?

Thanks a lot for your great work. Done! is an excellent application.

Greetings from Switzerland,
    Rolf
  8.    #808  
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    Hi Brian

I "only" have about 250 tasks in my Toodledo.
    However. Switching between different display modes or filters tends to become pretty slow.
    Is there a way to speed up things?
    Could a native version with the use of the Hybrid/PDK give a significant speed bump?
    If yes, are you eventually already working on a native version?

Thanks a lot for your great work. Done! is an excellent application.

Greetings from Switzerland,
    Rolf

I could do that or you could just get more done and knock some stuff off your list. The second way sounds much easier to me...

Edit to add: I do have some ideas for improving the loading of tasks in the task list. They won't involve a native version - I'm not a C programmer.
    Last edited by haeffb; 10/17/2010 at 09:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Brian:

I keep ending up with this situation where sync reports one task synced from the device - even if I do back-to-back syncs. Logging in to ToodleDo wipes my data, and another sync brings it back, and seems to dispose of the problem task. However, this isn't a perfect solution, because it blows away all my custom lists and I have to create them all over again each time. It's happened about five times so far. I wonder if a task isn't getting corrupted somehow. Any clues as to the first step in troubleshooting this?

The only issue I've had in creating or editing tasks is this: Sometimes, when I am working quickly, I will accidentally open an existing task when trying to scroll or something. I generally backswipe immediately (is there any way to discard changes?).

Thanks,
    Mark
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCFlyer View Post
    Brian:

I keep ending up with this situation where sync reports one task synced from the device - even if I do back-to-back syncs. Logging in to ToodleDo wipes my data, and another sync brings it back, and seems to dispose of the problem task.
    Oh, and while we are on the subject, I was expecting Delete & Update to reload my tasks after deleting them from the device, but it just seems to delete the tasks, requiring a manual sync to bring them back. Is that how it's supposed to work? I have all auto sync options (sync on exit, sync on launch, etc. off).

Mark
  11.    #811  
    Quote Originally Posted by DCFlyer View Post
    Brian:

I keep ending up with this situation where sync reports one task synced from the device - even if I do back-to-back syncs. Logging in to ToodleDo wipes my data, and another sync brings it back, and seems to dispose of the problem task. However, this isn't a perfect solution, because it blows away all my custom lists and I have to create them all over again each time. It's happened about five times so far. I wonder if a task isn't getting corrupted somehow. Any clues as to the first step in troubleshooting this?

The only issue I've had in creating or editing tasks is this: Sometimes, when I am working quickly, I will accidentally open an existing task when trying to scroll or something. I generally backswipe immediately (is there any way to discard changes?).

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark,

If you don't change anything in the task details scene, nothing is saved to the database, so opening details and then immediately backswiping won't corrupt a task.

I think the issue is due to the time difference between the phone's clock and the Toodledo server's clock - it's difficult to compare sync times between the two. I'll look at the issue and see what I can come up with.

And, yes, you do have to manually sync after updating your account info.
    Done! continues to get better. It looks like it has quite a complete set of features now and I appreciate the faster task edit scene. Since it is fairly mature, would you consider looking into the performance of the task list scene? When I check a task complete, Done! takes about 4-6 s to redisplay the task list, whether I am sorting by importance or priority. I have 39 tasks visible, and an additional 165 invisible tasks (priority -1, start date in future). Thanks!
  13.    #813  
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hoffman View Post
    Done! continues to get better. It looks like it has quite a complete set of features now and I appreciate the faster task edit scene. Since it is fairly mature, would you consider looking into the performance of the task list scene? When I check a task complete, Done! takes about 4-6 s to redisplay the task list, whether I am sorting by importance or priority. I have 39 tasks visible, and an additional 165 invisible tasks (priority -1, start date in future). Thanks!
    Michael,

Yes, I will. I am attending Palm's Developer Day in November, and I hope to learn some techniques there that will help to improve performance.

Speaking of Dev Day, a good friend and person who's helped a lot "behind the scenes" as I've built my apps is trying to get to Dev Day and is asking for donations to help with the travel cost. Sugardave has been active in Palm's dev forums and in IRC helping out me and many other aspiring developers. If any of you would care to help promote the webOS community, please consider dropping a donation to sugardave. Thanks in advance!

ChipIn: HP/Palm Developer Day
    haeffb I notice a calendar view on toodledo's website. Is there any way the calendar view can be added to Done! or add a calendar for Done! to the calendar app? Thank you once again for this program. It has helped to get lots of things organized.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    haeffb I notice a calendar view on toodledo's website. Is there any way the calendar view can be added to Done! or add a calendar for Done! to the calendar app? Thank you once again for this program. It has helped to get lots of things organized.
    I'm not haeffb, but...

From the Toodledo site, if you click on "Tools & Services" in the navigation bar on the left, you'll see a page of sync options. Scroll down to "iCal", click on that, and follow the directions, and your Google Calendar will be able to read your Toodledo calendar just like any other calendar. Your ToDo's with due dates will show up in your Google calendar and on your Pre as all day events, and if you set a time they will show up as scheduled events at that time.

It doesn't add undated Toodledo tasks to Google's tasks list, but that's why you have Toodledo and Done! in the first place, right?

One catch, and one possible bug: Google only checks outside calendars once a day, so new tasks won't show up in your calendar app until the next time Google checks Toodledo; and there may be a bug that if you change a task's due date it doesn't update on the calendar (you have to delete and recreate, or copy and delete the original task, then sync - I'm not sure if that's an issue with Toodledo's calendar or with Google syncing it).
    Are you considering a UI for the advanced repeat setting? I think right now setting repeat to advanced does nothing.

Also I find the nonmonotonic ordering of the drop-down menu a little disconcerting. Shoudn't daily be first like in the web app?
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Brian:

This is a feature request. Is there any room in to indicate whether a record has subtasks or is a subtask? The feature you added to display subtasks within a record is extremely useful. However, when I am looking at a record in a view that isn't shared by its parent or subtasks, I can't tell whether a parent or sub exists. For instance, let's say a parent task has subtasks that are in different contexts than the parent, and I am looking at the parent, filtered by context. It would be very helpful to know whether that parent is an individual task or has subtasks. The web version implements this with little briefcases, or whatever they are supposed to be...

Thanks,
    Mark
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Also, are we supposed to be able to check off subtasks from the parent record? For instance, I search for and open a parent. It shows I have four subtasks. I expand the subtasks and each has a checkbox next to it. I can add a checkmark to the checkbox, but when I backswipe and exit the record, the subtask is not marked competed, but is merely moved to the bottom of the subtasks for that task. Is that the expected behavior?

Thanks,
    Mark
    I just bought Done! and I love it, especially the fact that I can view my tasks through a notification. I do have one feature request: a tap on the Done! icon in the notification opens the app. There is no need for that process to close the notification since we can already swipe away the notification.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I'm having some problems with repeating tasks. Sometimes I end up with duplicates (no it's not because I hit the duplicate tasks button) and sometimes I get a notification for the next event (like next week) even though I don't have a start date or start time selected. Anybody else having these problems?