Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    hi there - i just bought and downloaded Done! and in general its great of course.
    Two quick suggestions that I think would be extremely helpful. These may have been requested already, but thought it couldnt hurt to reiterate

1) There doesnt seem to be a way for 'rapid entry' of a list of tasks from the keyboard. For example: in the built-in tasks program on the palm pre, when viewing your list of tasks, you can click the add button, enter a task, and when you click the enter key, the default action is new task. The cursor is already placed into a new task heading, so you can rapidly continue to enter your day's tasks, sequentially, without any break.

In Done! though, when you click the add button, you're taken to the full formal task-entry-screen. (you cant click inside a task heading and edit it directly from that initial task list screen). Second, once there, you cant rapidly add sequential tasks from the keyboard. You have to "backswipe" to go back to the tasks-list screen, and then double-tap again to get back into a new task-entry-screen.

Would be great if you can make it either so that tasks can be entered directly in the task-list screen, like in the default tasks program on the palm pre; Or perhaps add a 'new task' button on the task-entry-screen so that with a single click new tasks can be sequentially and rapidly entered?

Actually adding *both* those features would be a great help. (Ie, editing task titles directly in task-list view, just like the Task app on the palm pre; and having the 'new task' button appear on all screens). Would be great if enter key launches 'new task' by default on all screens, just like in the default Tasks app on the palm pre.

2) ability to drag tasks up or down into order. Just like in the default Tasks app on the palm pre.

Thanks! Great app and very handy.
  2.    #662  
    Did you try hitting Enter in the tasks list screen? Or typing some text while in the tasks list screen and then Enter?

I do like the idea of adding a new tsks button in the edit screen.

Unfortunately,Toodledo doesn't support a manual sort order for tasks so drag & drop sorting isn't possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by haeffb View Post
    Did you try hitting Enter in the tasks list screen? Or typing some text while in the tasks list screen and then Enter?
    thanks for the tip, both those methods do work (this tip should be in the help section, i looked there first before posting and didnt see anything!).

however once done entering the new task, there still isnt any method for rapidly entering a few more tasks in sequence; one has to always swipe back to task list before entering a new task. (see below).

I do like the idea of adding a new tsks button in the edit screen.
    me too! (even better I think, hitting enter in edit screen to open new task entry). Either would go some way towards solving need of 'rapid sequential entries'.

Unfortunately,Toodledo doesn't support a manual sort order for tasks so drag & drop sorting isn't possible.
    I just realized this. I left a note on the toodledo forum pleading for such a feature. I cant believe in this day and age they dont have drag and drop for quick-n-dirty prioritizing. Drag-n-drop is probably the number one feature request on the toodledo site. They seem to have it for paid subscribers but not free users (so might still be worth your looking into). But in this day and age it should be a free feature, if you ask me. Just about every other todo list site has drag n drop for free.

btw thanks for your super-fast response, much appreciated!
    one other quick suggestion if you dont mind

On the task edit page:
    -"config field" button - maybe could move it under the menu? That would free up some real estate on the screen. New middle button: "Done". This returns you to the task view page. New right side button: New task)
    I agree with the above: a simple mode that allows you to easily add a bunch of tasks from the main scene would be a hugely convenient. Often capturing the task is the most important and done on the fly, when you don't have time to fill out a bunch of detail fields.

Perhaps a setting for "quick task entry" that can be toggled in Preferences? You can still tap the tasks to edit details at any time.

A + button on the detail scene to save the current task and jump right to a new one would be a nice timesaver too. Perhaps +, + Duplicate, Done (left to right) would keep things consistent with the main scene. I agree that you could move the field options to the menu.

P.S. The Enter shortcut from search is really handy; never knew about that.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Didn't know you could just hit the enter key to add a task. How great is that? Thanks for the tip!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    welly1: The drag-n-drop ability in Toodledo Pro appears to only be for sub-tasks, not the main (parent) tasks, they still cannot be moved manually unless they're moved to become a sub-task or out of sub-task to parent task. Weird, huh? Like you I'm dying to have drag-n-drop for Done! at least. I wait not so patiently as haeffb will attest to!
  8.    #668  
    Quote Originally Posted by welly1 View Post
    one other quick suggestion if you dont mind

On the task edit page:
    -"config field" button - maybe could move it under the menu? That would free up some real estate on the screen. New middle button: "Done". This returns you to the task view page. New right side button: New task)
    I had already moved the config-field to the Prefs scene.

Trying to decide now whether the "Enter" in the search field should show the edit task screen, or just add the task and stay on the tasks list so you can keep typing. I'm thinking that would be the best UI for quick task entry.

Edit to add: I won't add a "Done" button as that violates Palm's UI guidelines. They want a consistent user experience and the back gesture is supposed used to leave a scene and save data.
    Last edited by haeffb; 08/15/2010 at 10:11 PM.
    any chance of some color coding for past due tasks - like red text or an exclamation mark icon - maybe as a preference setting? It would help quickly identify critical todo's.
    "Enter" in the search field... [to] just add the task and stay on the tasks list so you can keep typing. I'm thinking that would be the best UI for quick task entry.
    that would be great. And "Enter" without search field could still go to task detail as it does now.

Edit to add: I won't add a "Done" button as that violates Palm's UI guidelines. They want a consistent user experience and the back gesture is supposed used to leave a scene and save data.
    thats fine. However as zparticle suggested,
    "A + button on the detail scene to save the current task and jump right to a new one would be a nice timesaver".

To this i'd suggest that "enter" on the details page should do exactly the same: save current task and jump right to a new one. User will always backswipe when done entering tasks to go back to task list, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    welly1: The drag-n-drop ability in Toodledo Pro appears to only be for sub-tasks, not the main (parent) tasks, they still cannot be moved manually unless they're moved to become a sub-task or out of sub-task to parent task. Weird, huh? Like you I'm dying to have drag-n-drop for Done! at least. I wait not so patiently as haeffb will attest to!
    looking at the toodledo forums, it seems to me this feature has been requested for so long. Its obviously not a technical hurdle for them, is it? So why are they so adamant in not offering it? Seems really weird. I mean toodledo pretty much has everything else that we could want in terms of major features, and not offering drag and drop -- such an obvious and common feature -- just seems like being non-sensically stubborn for the sake of being stubborn!
    The only reason I can think that drag and drop hasn't been implemented would be that from a database standpoint it would require an additional field to assign each task a serial number of sorts to track the ordering across various platforms. Would this field be hidden? Would it rewrite this field for all other records when you insert an item? Could get messy.

An approach that might be viable would be to modify the priority of the item to match more or less where you drag it to, while maintaining the existing sort order. This would only roughly approximate the desired effect (e.g. you couldn't micro-manage your highest priority items) but at least could be implemented client-side.
    Could you please push the changes with the notifications out to the app store version? I doctored my phone due to some issues and haven't the time to homebrew for a while.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post

An approach that might be viable would be to modify the priority of the item to match more or less where you drag it to, while maintaining the existing sort order. This would only roughly approximate the desired effect (e.g. you couldn't micro-manage your highest priority items) but at least could be implemented client-side.
    client-side would be fine - and rough approximation would be fine - better than nothing. Is this something that could be offered in the Done! app for instance? Giving us something that toodledo is dragging its feet on but which we all want?
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Okay, I am able to now reproduce one of my issues.

Create a task with the following attributes: Start date today, no due date, no repeat, repeat from Completion date. Do not sync.

You will not be able to mark this task as complete, as the complete check mark will uncheck immediately after you check it.

Setting the "repeat from" to Due Date seems to avoid this problem.
  16.    #676  
    Quote Originally Posted by aa6vh View Post
    Okay, I am able to now reproduce one of my issues.

Create a task with the following attributes: Start date today, no due date, no repeat, repeat from Completion date. Do not sync.

You will not be able to mark this task as complete, as the complete check mark will uncheck immediately after you check it.

Setting the "repeat from" to Due Date seems to avoid this problem.
    Thanks for the details - that gives me a pretty good idea of what is causing the problem. I'll check it out and let you know what I find.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Brian:

Even if I have just synced, Done! always syncs one task from the device. Should this be hapenning? I did see your post earlier regarding tasks syncing up to the web and back down, but that didn't seem to cover this. I apologize if you've answered this before; been following the thread and don't remember seeing it.

Thanks.
  18.    #678  
    It shouldn't happen, but it's likely a task entered in Done that is, for some reason, failing to sync to Toodledo. If it doesn't sync, it keeps trying, but something causes it to fail. Do you have any tasks with no title?
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    It shouldn't happen, but it's likely a task entered in Done that is, for some reason, failing to sync to Toodledo. If it doesn't sync, it keeps trying, but something causes it to fail. Do you have any tasks with no title?
    Thanks. Couldn't find a task with no title. Ultimately, I deleted and reinstalled Done! then synced; seems to be OK now.
    I selected "waiting" as status for one of my tasks and it disappeared. When I select "status" on the left selector, "waiting" is not an option on the right. I created a custom list to show "waiting" tasks [selected "waiting" only in status], but when I select "custom" on the left and "waiting" on the right nothing shows. The task is still accessible on toodledo.com, but I don't seem to have a status selection there. Is there anyway to make this task visible in Done! again? When choosing status for sort source shouldn't all status options be available in the right side selector?