Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by daveway View Post
    Notification Problems, Bugs, requests

In thinking about this, I would like the Due Time to be the trigger for notifications.
    I'll offer a different opinion than daveway. I like the notification for tasks that are due today. I will essentially treat the notification tray as my hotlist for the day - scrolling through it to make sure I've done everything for the day. I like that it is a notification so I don't have to open the app and it's always there when I look at my phone reminding me of what I should be working on for the day.

Maybe a parameter here could help (like "Notify based on:" with checkboxes for Due Date / Due Time / Start Date / Start Time), but you do need to be careful with the proliferation of parameters.

I agree with daveway on the issue that all dismissed notifications reappear after another due task comes up. A previous suggestion I made about having a parameter for re-showing dismissed notifications could solve this issue.

I also like daveway's suggestion about delaying a task from the notification bar. I know real estate is getting tight down there, so if I had to choose, I would choose to be able to complete from the notification bar instead of delaying. But if it's possible to fit both, that would be incredible.
    Saved searches (i.e., saved filters and sorts) would be great, any feeling for when they will make it into the timeline?
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Thanks for the update. I have really been looking forward to notifications. A couple of comments I would make:

1) Is it possible to add an option for sound and LED notifications?
    2) When tapping on the notification, the app opens to the task detail as opposed to the task list. Typically, I will only open the app in this way to mark a task as complete so I would prefer it to open to the list.
    3) When I open the app by tapping on a notification, it doesn't allow me to mark a task as complete. The tick momentarily appears but then dissappears again and the task stays as uncomplete. If I then close and repoen the app it will allow me to complete the task.

Keep up the good work.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Just thought about something it would be great to be able to let Agenda and Done talk to each other so that tasks would be available in the agenda app.
    +1

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I would be happy for this to be done by adding an option for creating a Done! calendar.
    I just found what might be a bug in the notification implementation. If I get a notification for a task that is due and then complete the task online, then sync the tasks back to Done, the notification is still there.

It seems to me that the notification should disappear if the task is completed online and then a sync is performed.
  6.    #326  
    Great thoughts on notifications. Let me explain some of my logic:

First overdue items are still due, so they should always show up. If I don't want to be reminded of them, I can just move/remove the duedate/time. If they're overdue, I need to know about them.

Second, I'd love to load up the dashboard with widgets, but there's a limited amount of space available. Something's got to give. I do plan to add a checkbox to the edit task scene so that you can check off a task with two taps (tap dashboard, tap checkbox) then move on to the next task in the dashboard.

Giving options to remove or leave tasks in the dashboard - again - means complicating the interface and space constraints will limit what can be done.

I want to add sound/LED to notifications, but not until I give you an option other than midnight...

Some options for what appear in notifications (Due Date/Time, Start Date/Time) will probably be a good idea. Will think about this one a bit.
    haeffb disregard previous post. Just got home and it works great now!! Thanks!!
  8.    #328  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    haeffb,

I sorry, I already tried out the service. Wish I would have known that before I did, I would have made sure to use your link. I'm saving the purchase of your app for June 6th (the somewhat official 'Buy an App Day').

Is there someway we can put your link front and center? Is it OK if I or someone start a new post with you link and a request to support you?

C
    Yes, that's OK. And there's nothing preventing you from having more than one Toodledo account...
  9.    #329  
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefplt View Post
    1. I actually don't mind tapping on the icon to cycle through, but I wouldn't mind arrows either. That doesn't seem like a huge priority to me though.

2. I would love the ability to complete a task from the notification. There is a patch for email called "delete from notification" that I love. It just has a trash icon on the right of the pop up. I would imagine something similar with a check mark icon to complete the task.
    I will play with some different functions in the dashboard. Arrows, checkbox, etc. to see what works best.

3. I'm not sure I want the task to disappear from the notification tray once I view it. I think I'd only want it to disappear once I complete it.
    Why view it if you're not going to check it off?

4. Similarly, I'm not sure how you control notifications that are dismissed. I might want to dismiss them but then see them again the next day. Perhaps a setting like "Reset dismissed notifications after:" with a selection for 1 hour, 12 hours, 1 day, 2 days, or never? That would be useful.
    They'll show up again tomorrow. Or when your next task is due today.

5. The icon in the notification tray seems too small - it's much smaller tham other ones.

6. Lastly, when one notification disappears from the list, the number stays the same. So if I dismiss #2 then I cycle through 1, 3,4,5, and 6. That seems a bit confusing. Is there any way to show 2 numbers on the icon? Like 1 of 6? It seems like the idea behind the number is more of a "how many" than a "which one". Maybe there is a way to leave the total number on the icon, but show which one you're seeing some other way?
    Yep, will take care of it - somehow.
    Bug with Goals

I have a repeating task attached to a goal.

When I complete the task and sync the following happens:

-The task reappears with the same date (just on first completion)
    -This new task, when viewed in the web interface, is not attached to the goal
    -Completing the new tasks does cause the next iteration of the task at this point (for me it's a task on the next day)
    -The apparent first task that seemed to duplicate also does not get applied to the Goal chain - ie. completing the goal task in Done! does not add a link when viewing Goals in the web interface

-So in other words, completing a task that is attached to a goal seems to remove the connection to the goal, and repeating goal tasks lose their link as well

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by haeffb View Post
    Great thoughts on notifications. Let me explain some of my logic:

First overdue items are still due, so they should always show up. If I don't want to be reminded of them, I can just move/remove the duedate/time. If they're overdue, I need to know about them.
    I think I have to disagree with this logic.

When each day starts, I know there are overdue tasks, but I can't be bothered with alerts about things that are past.
    If I want to see what has past and what I missed, that's what the Overdue view is for. I can then move those tasks forward and reallocate them to fill in time and areas in my schedule.

But once a task is past, it's "time" has passed and I have to find a new "place" for it. Again that's what the Overdue view is for in my opinion.

To be nagged by alerts for the 10 tasks I didn't finish yesterday, AND the 10 tasks I've set to alert me today, repeatedly, it quite frustrating.

In addition, with regard to alerts on Today's tasks, I like to set tasks that need to be done Today and then throughout the day I refer to the Today view and pluck things out by doing 1 of 2 things:
    1-I set a Star
    2-I set an notification

This way I set the next 3-5 things I'm going to work on and just refer to the Star view.
    While tasks with a notification come up through out the day at times when they are most ready to be completed.

The problem is that I don't want to be alerted about everything that is due Today, because I only want notifications at the moment that a task is due for those tasks I have designated. The rest of Today's tasks are just in a "bucket" so to speak that I pull from throughout the day in various ways, like using Star.

If I have everything that is due Today constantly nagging at me then the notification feature, for me, loses it's value, becomes a nuisance, and I end up not using it.

So I'm still voting for the Due Time to trigger notifications, or some other manually set trigger. Like maybe just a checkbox NOTIFY? that would make that particular task a notifying task?

I realize this might just be me, but there's my thoughts and opinion.

Thanks
    Is there a way to view multiple contexts at once?
  13.    #333  
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    Saved searches (i.e., saved filters and sorts) would be great, any feeling for when they will make it into the timeline?
    They are coming, but I can't commit to a deadline.
  14.    #334  
    Bug with Goals

I have a repeating task attached to a goal.

-So in other words, completing a task that is attached to a goal seems to remove the connection to the goal, and repeating goal tasks lose their link as well

Thanks
    Confirmed bug, fixed in next release. You will need to reset the Done database before they will work (i.e. delete & reinstall, or go to Account Settings & relogin to Toodledo). I'll try to remind everyone to do so.
  15.    #335  
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hoffman View Post
    Is there a way to view multiple contexts at once?
    Currently it's one or all, not a subset. Saved searches is an upcoming feature that will allow you to select multiple contexts/folders/etc for a filtered list. I just can't say when it will be available.
  16.    #336  
    I think I have to disagree with this logic.

When each day starts, I know there are overdue tasks, but I can't be bothered with alerts about things that are past.
    If I want to see what has past and what I missed, that's what the Overdue view is for. I can then move those tasks forward and reallocate them to fill in time and areas in my schedule.

But once a task is past, it's "time" has passed and I have to find a new "place" for it. Again that's what the Overdue view is for in my opinion.

To be nagged by alerts for the 10 tasks I didn't finish yesterday, AND the 10 tasks I've set to alert me today, repeatedly, it quite frustrating.

In addition, with regard to alerts on Today's tasks, I like to set tasks that need to be done Today and then throughout the day I refer to the Today view and pluck things out by doing 1 of 2 things:
    1-I set a Star
    2-I set an notification

This way I set the next 3-5 things I'm going to work on and just refer to the Star view.
    While tasks with a notification come up through out the day at times when they are most ready to be completed.

The problem is that I don't want to be alerted about everything that is due Today, because I only want notifications at the moment that a task is due for those tasks I have designated. The rest of Today's tasks are just in a "bucket" so to speak that I pull from throughout the day in various ways, like using Star.

If I have everything that is due Today constantly nagging at me then the notification feature, for me, loses it's value, becomes a nuisance, and I end up not using it.

So I'm still voting for the Due Time to trigger notifications, or some other manually set trigger. Like maybe just a checkbox NOTIFY? that would make that particular task a notifying task?

I realize this might just be me, but there's my thoughts and opinion.

Thanks
    I understand your point of view, and "the customer is always right."

So, I'll try to come up with some options that will allow it to be done correctly. And your way.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Personally, against daveway, overall I'd prefer to be notified about all the stuff that's overdue. I do see a potential problem with being notified about too much stuff. But that in itself, is a signal to get organized again. That's why I like a central notification (not linked to any particular task) that would bring up a view of due/overdue stuff. However, I can see value in some easy way of limiting the notifications (a starred only option + timedue stuff?).

Backing way up in the conversation, I like having the ability to "check off" something done from the notification. Yeah, I can do it in two steps but why not one? I personally wouldn't mind less text space because most of my tasks I can summarize with a short phrase. Not to beat a dead horse in case you've already checked it out, but without buying it you can check out MoreStocks implementation of the arrow idea via their screenshots here: http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...log/morestocks

All that said I've played around with the notifications system and it seems to work great. Only thing is I typically have 40 notifications so going back and forth would be nice.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Since updating to latest beta, auto-sync doesn't seem to be working so well. I have it turned on, yet items that I updated 24 hours ago still aren't sync'ed. When I manually sync, all is well.

Note that I HAVE seen auto-sync run... but it just doesn't appear to be doing what it's supposed to do.
    Thanks for all your responses, haeffb - you're doing a great job. Can't wait to see how the notification implementation matures...
  20.    #340  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Since updating to latest beta, auto-sync doesn't seem to be working so well. I have it turned on, yet items that I updated 24 hours ago still aren't sync'ed. When I manually sync, all is well.

Note that I HAVE seen auto-sync run... but it just doesn't appear to be doing what it's supposed to do.
    I'm not having any troubles with auto-sync... I have made a few changes in the notification system (related to how due dates/times are set and checked to find the next notification) that should make notifications a bit more reliable. Also have changed a bit in how the app launches and syncs/notifies in the background. Perhaps those changes fixed whatever bug you're seeing. I will upload my current version to see if that helps...

Version 0.1.9 headed your way.

Also fixes the goals bug mentioned by daveway above. If you use goals, you'll want to clear the Done! data on the device and then re-sync from Toodledo. The easiest way to do that is to go to the Account Settings, tap "Login to Toodledo" with your current email & password, then tap the "Delete & Update" in the confirmation dialog. Hit the manual sync button & you're up and running again.