Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Hi guys.

I've read the other threads on the matter and I have a really bad feeling.

I live in Italy, I have an unlocked Pre. Yesterday I downloaded the new WebOS version using the update tool. No prob in this.

But then, when I try to put my MasterCard details in the Catalog app I can't because I can only choose among USA, Mexico and Canada for the billing details.

Now, really, what are my options?
    Will I ever be able to buy apps?

I have a discomforting urge to dump my Pre and get a smartphone with real apps support... and God knows how sad that would be.

Thanks in advance.
    As far as I know, the only answer you will get from Palm is that they can only support "official" countries. What can I say... looks like you legally bought a Pre but you are out of luck. Everyone can form one' own opinion about this.
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering
    Quote Originally Posted by dastommygun View Post
    Hi guys.

I live in Italy, I have an unlocked Pre. Yesterday I downloaded the new WebOS version using the update tool. No prob in this.

But then, when I try to put my MasterCard details in the Catalog app I can't because I can only choose among USA, Mexico and Canada for the billing details.

I have a discomforting urge to dump my Pre and get a smartphone with real apps support... and God knows how sad that would be.

Thanks in advance.
    I don't think you're wrong at all. I am impressed that you can see paid apps at all, so how many apps can you see ? I can see 415.
    I've been ranting & trolling about this like, forever but I don't believe it's going to be any better than this in the foreseeable future. But Palm should do something about this, if not for anything else, as a way to get more money.
    It's hard to understand *why* Palm doesn't inform their clients about what's going on in this regard. It's a huge turnoff for many potential buyers.
    WebOS still makes sense.
    Same for me. I live in Norway, and have a german O2 pre using it on the Telenor network... Can se all the payd apps, but only have the US, mexico and canada as billing coutries...

Beginning to be rather fed up now...

Hey people, Android is a nice alternative is it not? :-(
    Sadly, yes +1
    WebOS still makes sense.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karstenskov View Post
    I am impressed that you can see paid apps at all, so how many apps can you see ? I can see 415.
    I see lot of 'em, I think 1500+ and counting.
    Both free and paid apps, but of course I can't buy the latter.

This is really annoying. I was placing a lot of hope in this new update, there are some paid apps that I really need and it's really stupid that there's no way for me to get them.

After all I'm asking to give my money to Palm, not the other way around!!!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudofilosofen View Post
    Hey people, Android is a nice alternative is it not? :-(
    Yep, I have to agree.
    Hi guys.

Thanks in advance.
    What language were you running on your Pre when you first activated it?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Forgive me if this idea is too far out -- but if you were to own a US / Mexican / Canadian credit card, that would work, right?

I think the reason why Palm aren't 'officially' allowing downloads from everywhere is that they're not selling phones everywhere, and keeping up credit card contracts in every country would be too expensive for them.

Why a company that's sitting on unsold units would not just sell their product everywhere is a different story entirely. Although, maybe it isn't and Palm simply can't afford maintaining a global presence.

Here's hoping for a quick, speedy buyout by some company that could make good use of the webOS IP. Seeing as my contract only runs out late next year, the all-new 2011 BlackBerry Pre might just become my next phone...
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    What language were you running on your Pre when you first activated it?
    English.
    English.
    My theory is that if you had used your native country's language, the credit card billing country settings would be correct.

What country is listed in your Palm Profile in the web management interface on palm.com ?

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    What country is listed in your Palm Profile in the web management interface on palm.com ?
    Here's what I get on my Palm profile:

Name: C*** C***
    Email: ***.***@gmail.com
    Password: ********
    Language: English
    Profile Status: Email Verified
    Security Question: ***
    Here's what I get on my Palm profile:

Name: C*** C***
    Email: ***.***@gmail.com
    Password: ********
    Language: English
    Profile Status: Email Verified
    Security Question: ***

That is the reason why you are being presented with US billing address choices.

I would suggest you webOS Doctor your phone, and reactivate it for your native country with a completely new palm profile to make sure that it gets the country correct. But even that, there is no guarantee - that's just my experience and who knows what other factors may come into play.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I would suggest you webOS Doctor your phone, and reactivate it for your native country with a completely new palm profile to make sure that it gets the country correct.
    I'm not sure, but I don't think that my country is listed among the selectable ones.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I'm not sure, but I don't think that my country is listed among the selectable ones.
    Exactly, our countries aint listed, so when creating our profiles we had to select a different one. Ive got UK on mine and got zero apps in the catalog and the option to enter credit card details aint even visible.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Ah, you are correct. I only see:

Austria (pity that wasn't Australia)
    Belgium
    Germany
    Spain
    France
    United Kingdom
    Ireland
    Luxembourg
    Netherlands

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    So maybe this is why some unoffical countries got access to the App Catalog, they are in the list and hence supported by Palm even though not being offical countries?
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Rod, so you can't select Netherlands when you create a profile, but you can select it in Payment settings?
    That seems to be the case on my unlocked QWERTZ German GSM Pre activated in Australia using German Language for a new Palm Profile which ended up with Country Germany, and then set back to English on the device, and looking in the Preferences section of the App Catalog app.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Ah, you are correct. I only see:

Austria (pity that wasn't Australia)
    Belgium
    Germany
    Spain
    France
    United Kingdom
    Ireland
    Luxembourg
    Netherlands

-- Rod
    that is NOT a pity, otherwise I couldn't use it

but it is correct, you have to activate your Pre in a supported country with a supported SIM first, before using it anywhere else. And you have to have a credit card from on of these countries.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Does all of you guys have the new preferences menu in your App Catalogs? There is no change at all for me. I must be the black sheep of Palm fans. *cry*
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast