Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Why cant palm add carrier billing? Im getting sick of not being able to do stuff because I have no credit card (im 17). I have money to buy the apps, but not the age for a card. This really ticks me off. I keep on seeing all these failures on the Pre and webOS, im barely holding on to my decision of buying a pre. Come.On.Palm.Do.Better.Gosh.Darn.It.
    And when are we going to get advertised apps? I mean ads in the app. So the app can be free and yet the dev can still make money?
  2. #2  
    as your parents to get you a credit card in your name!
  3. #3  
    or just use paypal's mastercard plugin..gives you a one time use mastercard number or multiple use if u desire
  4. #4  
    or just pick up a pre-paid visa card at a retailer like Target, Wal-Mart, etc.
  5.    #5  
    You can do that? So Im guessing the prepaid one is kinda like an iTunes gift card, but for more than itunes? SWEET. wow I feel stupid now.
    And whats that paypal mastercard thingy?
  6. #6  
    GIFTCARD!

    CheckCashing store has a good reloadable that's fairly cheaper than the rest.

    That's pretty much all I use for Internet transactions...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    GIFTCARD!

    CheckCashing store has a good reloadable that's fairly cheaper than the rest.

    That's pretty much all I use for Internet transactions...
    CheckCashing store?
  8. #8  
    YOUR BANK CARD WILL WORK LIKE A CHARM
    EOM
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Popper668 View Post
    YOUR BANK CARD WILL WORK LIKE A CHARM
    Bank card?
  10. #10  
    Sorry. I am @#$ tired of hearing people ***** about carrier charging. How freaking hard is it to set up your card once? Just like anything else you would buy on the web, except only once. What does the carrier charge in most cases? oh, a card. And if you're still old fashioned and paying by check or cash monthly, your argument is invalid anyway. A tiny nicety, nothing more. Certainly not a downside.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by passmeabrew View Post
    Sorry. I am @#$ tired of hearing people ***** about carrier charging. How freaking hard is it to set up your card once? Just like anything else you would buy on the web, except only once. What does the carrier charge in most cases? oh, a card. And if you're still old fashioned and paying by check or cash monthly, your argument is invalid anyway. A tiny nicety, nothing more. Certainly not a downside.
    You obviously didn't read the part about the OP being 17. Not many 17 year olds have a bank card or credit card.

    All the suggestions given are excellent.

    Personally for my kids phone I use my card, but don't tell him the password. That way he can pay me for the app or I can choose to give it to him.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by techobsessive View Post
    Why cant palm add carrier billing? Im getting sick of not being able to do stuff because I have no credit card (im 17). I have money to buy the apps, but not the age for a card. This really ticks me off. I keep on seeing all these failures on the Pre and webOS, im barely holding on to my decision of buying a pre. Come.On.Palm.Do.Better.Gosh.Darn.It.
    And when are we going to get advertised apps? I mean ads in the app. So the app can be free and yet the dev can still make money?
    Go get a debit card from the bank.

    I hope you kidding about advertised apps.

    AdMob is currently supporting webOS with advertisements in apps, which a lot of the current apps use.

    Maybe you should do some research before complaining and making a thread about how you hate Palm.
  13. #13  
    haha, you're right, I've heard the argument so many times i didn't read past the subject. You seem to have the best solution. Giving your kids unfettered access to your card certainly isn't an option in most cases.
  14. #14  
    Hah! Oh Techobsessive, sorry dude, but you're gonna have to complain to someone 17. Those of us who are much older than you are just gonna say stuff like "BAck in my day we didn't even HAVE cell phones! We didn't have apps. We had coin operated video game machines. We would spend a fortune playing GAlaga. You have no idea how lucky you are kid! Oh, I can't get a credit card to buy an app? Please. I got socks older than you!'



    On a more serious note. Yes there are free ad supported apps. And yes, you need to get a parent involved if you want to buy apps with a credit card. And yes, I know, it sucks to be seventeen. But dude, we all played the game and when we dared, cheated ourselves at solitaire.

    And in twenty years, trust me, you'll post something just like this.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by techobsessive View Post
    Why cant palm add carrier billing? Im getting sick of not being able to do stuff because I have no credit card (im 17). I have money to buy the apps, but not the age for a card. This really ticks me off. I keep on seeing all these failures on the Pre and webOS, im barely holding on to my decision of buying a pre. Come.On.Palm.Do.Better.Gosh.Darn.It.
    And when are we going to get advertised apps? I mean ads in the app. So the app can be free and yet the dev can still make money?
    Can you use a check card for this?
  16. #16  
    can't you just use one of those Visa prepaid cards that you get from the grocery store or such?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    You obviously didn't read the part about the OP being 17. Not many 17 year olds have a bank card or credit card.
    a sh!tload of 17 year olds have a bank card. all you need is a savings account.
  18. #18  
    FYI, carrier billing is not trivial, and it is generally the carrier that resists it, not the manufacturer. I was involved in carrier billing in two previous jobs, and it is a man-against-nature effort unless it is a huge amount of revenue or something core to their service. That's why ringtones are more tightly integrated than something like an app catalog. It also matters if the application is sharing revenue with the carrier. When Palm's app catalog has the potential to deliver a few hundred million dollars of revenue to Verizon, I'm sure the will be interested.

    Just keep in mind that they resistance is from the carrier, not Palm.
  19.    #19  
    Alright, alright people calm down. Ive never seen an App with an Add in it, and Ive looked at lots of reviews for apps and the pre. Ive done my research. I think ill just go with the pre paid visa cards. Thanks for all the replies, even if they werent so helpful, but many were!

Posting Permissions