Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I'm in the final stages of a program I am calling Email Companion (EC). The motivation is the fact that I get boatloads of email, and digging through them is a pain in the neck.
    Basically, Email Companion adds several features to the stock email application.

Here's a (somewhat) brief overview of its capabilities:
    • Contact Emails: Email Companion scans the emails, and grabs emails from your contacts. The inspiration for this comes from the Yahoo email client. However, instead of simply grabbing a few recent emails from contacts, the program puts them in their own sublist. Clicking on a message brings up the corresponding email. All emails from the contact are readily available. You can quickly navigate through the emails from the corresponding contact by clicking the next/prev buttons.

• Flagged Emails: EC allows you to flag an email address. When an email from that sender arrives, it is set aside in a list so you can quickly access it. The inspiration for this comes from signing up at a website, purchasing a product or sending an email to customer support. I know they are going to send me an email, but don't know when. By flagging the email, it will be set aside for me when it comes in. EC doesn't require a perfect match. Therefore, if you just know the email is coming from (e.g. Bestbuy, but don't know if it'll be noreply@bestbuy.com or support@bestbuy.com), you can just put some part of it (e.g. bestbuy). EC will then flag any message with that word in its address. If you click on a flag, EC will bring up all emails from the corresponding flag, so one can quickly navigate through them.

• Keyword Emails: A spinoff of flagging emails by address is flagging emails by keyword. EC will grab any emails with a word or phrase, and collect them. Clicking on a keyword email will grab all emails with the keyword and allow one to navigate through them by clicking next/prev buttons. This works in a similar fashion to the keyword filter with the stock email program with two major differences:

o EC searches for the keyword automatically. Therefore, you don't have to remember to search for it.
    o EC searches all folders for the corresponding keyword, instead of just one at a time.
    • Unread Emails: EC will scan all the emails and count how many unread messages you have. It will them sort them by day, and present them to you in a calendar. Clicking on a day will bring up the corresponding unread emails. One can navigate through them by clicking the next prev buttons. The inspiration from this is because I often get a bunch of emails that I neglect to read. This helps this makes things easier.

• Mailing Lists: EC allows you to create a mailing list, similar to most email applications. The mailing list is available in regular contacts, so you can use the lists when using the stock email application.

• Text Alerts: EC allows you to create a list of email addresses and numbers that will receive a text message alert when you send them an email. People on the list will receive a text message along the lines of I just sent you an email, subject: <email-subject>. You can either grab the email address and phone number from your contacts, or you can enter them manually.

Some additional features I'm considering adding are:

• Calendar Add: I'm considering adding a feature that will allow one to add an email to the calendar. The inspiration from this comes from my Outlook application, where I sometimes get an email that I don't want to respond to immediately. I drag the email into the calendar so I will be reminded to respond later.

• Auto-reply: This feature will allow one to automatically respond to emails. I'm thinking I'll allow it to auto-respond based on keyword or sender.

• Auto-text: This feature would automatically text someone letting them know you received their email.

• Auto-forward: This feature would allow one to automatically forward an email. I'm thinking it could also be based on keyword or sender.

• Email Vault: This feature would allow one to permanently store emails. This would be useful for when you make a travel reservation months in advance, and want to quickly retrieve it. The inspiration for this comes from Prubin (thank you Prubin).
    Last edited by ccdoss; 03/29/2010 at 04:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    WOW! That's a great many features right out of the gate! Thanks for taking the time.

Something I have been missing is the ability to search the contacts from all fields, from universal search or the email app.

I have heard many times this is not possible.

Can this code be written?

And how can we help you?

Thanks!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    I like how much will this go for? Do you need any testers?
    wow look awesome!
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
    The calendar part looks awesome. Another feature would be a folder where one could store emails forever. I don't want all emails forever, but some (for example, trip confirmations) are useful for more than the few days I now keep email on the phone. A folder for permanent storage of selected emails would be wonderful.
    Laissez Faire
    wow

I bet you will make a boatload of $$ if this works smoothly..

you should have posted a 'coming soon' before all the negative Palm press last week..could have brougt some joy to fellow precentral members
    If you need beta testers I am all for trying it!
    I would be happy to pay for this program. I hope it inspires others to make improvements in the email and PIM applications.
    wow, great list of features so far. will you be releasing a beta soon?
    will this sort of act as a plug-in to the existing email app or a separate app?
    looks great and very useful. Any idea when this will be ready? Will it be available in the app catalog,palm beta feed or preware? Just would like to know where to look for it when it's ready.
    Great ideas.

I sorely miss the ability to search all the fields in a contact as in Treos.
    Looks like this will be a great program for those of us who use email a lot. I too would be willing to Beta test the program.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    WOW! That's a great many features right out of the gate! Thanks for taking the time.

Something I have been missing is the ability to search the contacts from all fields, from universal search or the email app.

I have heard many times this is not possible.

Can this code be written?

And how can we help you?

Thanks!
    You won't be able to search contacts using this program. You will be able to create mailing lists, which can be found with the typical search just like other contacts. Sorry for the confusion, but I'm not sure if code to search contacts can be written except by Palm, since they don't allow other programs to view contact info.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I like how much will this go for? Do you need any testers?
    I'm anticipating it going for under $8 or $9. I will definitely be looking for Beta testers. I just need to work out some more minor kinks before putting it out. Please keep checking this thread for details on the Beta.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    The calendar part looks awesome. Another feature would be a folder where one could store emails forever. I don't want all emails forever, but some (for example, trip confirmations) are useful for more than the few days I now keep email on the phone. A folder for permanent storage of selected emails would be wonderful.
    Actually, that shouldn't be too hard to implement. Thank you for the suggestion. It will be after the other features I listed originally, but you can see that I modified them to include this.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    wow, great list of features so far. will you be releasing a beta soon?
    will this sort of act as a plug-in to the existing email app or a separate app?
    It'll be a completely separate app from the stock email program. However, as the name implies, it will not be a replacement for the stock email program. It does no pulling of emails from servers. It looks at the email on the phone, and goes from there. As a safety feature, I don't foresee the ability to delete emails from EC.

I do plan to release a beta soon, hopefully before the end of the week. Please check here for details.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I'm ready to submit the Beta. However, I can't through Palm Distribution since I have to use the Palm Id in order to access the undocumented functions. I am hoping to submit it as a beta in Homebrew (having a hard time figuring it out). However, you can grab it from here.

The first time you load EC, the app takes you through a brief tour at first. You can read through it or skip. This tour only executes the first time.

The contacts and flagged messages will not work until a scan has been done. A folder scan is done first, which determines how many messages are in each folder. This is fairly quick. The message scan can take a while (approximately 1 second per message). It's recommended you shut down other applications and do a normal scan in the email app before doing a medium or full scan.

Unread messages calendar and keyword search both work independently of the message scan. However, the folder scan needs to be done before the keyword scan can be done.

Please take a look around the app and provide feedback. It is still fairly rough around the edges. I plan to add a few more features before submitting.
    Installed and scanning messages now. I guess I should have paid atttention to the tour to see how everything works.
    Great looking app!!
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol
    The help isn't loading. Will that feature be active later on? I also notice that when running a keyword search the results don't show up on the main screen until I close the program and open it back up.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast