1.    #1  
    radiotime is fast, like it's on crack or steroids but it sure gets hot. So hot it makes me nervous and quit. How long can you play radiotime before the phone gets too hot? Or is it just my phone.
    I tried using that app and my Pre did not like it at all, my Pre also ran hot and bogged down to a crawl, even after I closed the Radiotime app. I was curious so I opened up JsTop and holy crap, I had like 10 broken borks and all kind of memory issues so I decided to remove the app.
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 03/27/2010 at 07:29 PM.
    I use it a lot on car trips and it doesn't appear to cause any problems.
  4.    #4  
    on a car trip? Wow. Maybe I should try a reinatall or something.
    I had it playing ALL day today and listened to it last night for several hours on end...listening to the NCAA tournament and ESPN radio and had no problems at all. Thank goodness because I didn't have access to a TV in order to watch and stay updated.
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
    I use every weekday for about 1.5 hours in the morning. I have not had any problems with heat.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I wrote RadioTime. I use it all of the time. Probably around 8-9 hours a day. It's one of only four apps I have installed on the Pre.

Heat is going to be an issue with any and all streaming radio applications. We all use basically the same implementation. There's only one way to implement audio in WebOS, through the SDK's HTML5 audio. If you look at Pandora, Accuradio, RadioTime, any of the SHOUTcast apps...it's all the same. In a nutshell, you call WebOS's audio server and tell it what to play. It's basically three lines of code in its simplest form. The reason true streaming audio applications (Pandora and Accuradio are NOT true streaming audio apps) cause the phone to get warm are because your data connection is constantly open which causes greater power draw.

In terms of RadioTime causing other applications to mess up or causing the system to "bog down," I can consistently open up probably 5-6 apps before I run into problems on a Palm Pre original. Yes, the app uses more power than other applications that don't constantly access the internet or play audio. That's the nature of streaming audio. There's nothing inherently flawed about the implementation of audio in the app or how the app handles any of the calls it makes. As I stated before, the only way to handle audio in an application is to call WebOS to do it. It's not like RadioTime has its own built in music player that's different from any other audio application. It's all WebOS.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    im with doclee, i use it all the time while working with my moto s9 hd bluetooth headset and the sound is outstanding along with the stations that i listen to from all over the US..so thumbs up to Radiotime
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    I wrote RadioTime. I use it all of the time. Probably around 8-9 hours a day. It's one of only four apps I have installed on the Pre.

Heat is going to be an issue with any and all streaming radio applications. We all use basically the same implementation. There's only one way to implement audio in WebOS, through the SDK's HTML5 audio. If you look at Pandora, Accuradio, RadioTime, any of the SHOUTcast apps...it's all the same. In a nutshell, you call WebOS's audio server and tell it what to play. It's basically three lines of code in its simplest form. The reason true streaming audio applications (Pandora and Accuradio are NOT true streaming audio apps) cause the phone to get warm are because your data connection is constantly open which causes greater power draw.

In terms of RadioTime causing other applications to mess up or causing the system to "bog down," I can consistently open up probably 5-6 apps before I run into problems on a Palm Pre original. Yes, the app uses more power than other applications that don't constantly access the internet or play audio. That's the nature of streaming audio. There's nothing inherently flawed about the implementation of audio in the app or how the app handles any of the calls it makes. As I stated before, the only way to handle audio in an application is to call WebOS to do it. It's not like RadioTime has its own built in music player that's different from any other audio application. It's all WebOS.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    I really liked the app when I had it loaded on my Pre, I will try downloading and using it again. Maybe something was haywire with the first download/installation.
    Thanks for such a wonderful app DocLee! I love Radio Time.

I also have to add that as I listened to RT on Saturday (for at least 7 hours), I also surfed PreCentral with no problems, checked my email and sent numerous text messages...no problems at all with any slowness. It saved my life Friday night and yesterday. I can't imagine what I would've done had I been forced to miss any of March Madness! *foams at the mouth*
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Any streaming app will cause phone to heat up, I love radio time, Listen to the Red Wings games all the time, Used to use a streaming radio program on my Blackberry Storm and it to would heat up some, Nothing to worry about.
    I use it every day and have never had a heat issue.
    It's a great app and one I have on my launcher bar.