Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Google maps on the web takes full UK postcodes (e.g. "AB1 2CD").
    Google maps on my Centro did the same.
    Google maps on the Pre seems to only use the first bit - if I typed the full postcode above it would return "AB1 1", which can be miles away!
    I can get slightly more accuracy by searching "AB1 2", but this is still a long way off pinpointing anything.
    Putting the full postcode into "" marks doesn't help.

Am I missing something, or does this version of Google Maps use a different (and rather useless) search system to that on the web and on PalmOS?!

Thanks.
    Mine does this too (o2 palm pre UK)

I can type in the full post code, but it only uses the first 4, the closest it gets to me by post code is 3 miles

Palm have known about this since at least Dec 09, but here is a quick tip for you if you need directions on the palm.

Open Web, go to Google and type in the post code where you want to go, it will show a map image with the location, then click 'get directions' just to the side of the map image and it will switch to the google maps app with a perfect route.

Weirdly, it shows the full address, and post code, but with an "NA" before the post code, if you type in the complete address without the NA, or going to google web first it shows you somewhere miles away.
    Last edited by Oronare; 03/24/2010 at 10:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Turns out that Google have known about this since May 2009, andhave acknowledged that it is a bug at their end. No fix in sight though, I guess the Pre doesn't even make it onto the priority list.
    h t tp :// www . google . co . uk / support / forum / p / Google+Mobile/thread?fid=533219e7a9a3ac1b00048290b86139ee&hl=en

Off topic, but I'm getting more and more unhappy with having gone for a Pre... I want to love it, but there are so many basic things that are wrong, I'm feeling more and more that I've expensively downgraded from my Centro.
    Well, I'm stuck with it for anoth 17 months.....
    Just go to web

type in the post code

Little map pops up

click 'get directions'

google maps loads up with a route.

It is one extra step, but until a fix is here it is good enough for me I love the phone.
    You could use the streetname too?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oronare View Post
    Just go to web

type in the post code

Little map pops up

click 'get directions'

It is one extra step, but until a fix is here it is good enough for me I love the phone.
    Thanks, at least there is a way of doign it... even if it does take at least an extra 15-20 secs by the time everything has loaded :-/
    I *want* to love my phone, but there are so many basic things that involve workarounds...

Incidentally, when I said that google had been aware since May 2009, I was lying - it was December. I was suffering a confusion with US date formats ;-)

Re using the streetname: Yes you can, and if you know the number it can about as accurate, but (a) it's much more to type on a little keyboard; (b) It's common practice among many of my friends to just give somebody a postcode, on the assumption that everybody will put it into google maps.

Anyway. We've established that it's a known problem, ie not something I can fix, and I now know of a workaround, so thank you folks :-)
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Just go to web

type in the post code

Little map pops up

click 'get directions'

Can you confirm that it still works? I can't make this work for me, it always eventually comes back (after some error messages) to Maps asking "Please refine your query" and offering me 4-character postcodes to refine to.
    Since it seems to fail at searching for addresses as well, right now (when trying to find an address) I'm finding it totally useless.
    Yep, stopped working for me too.

It says 'Unable to handle protocol' when I click the 'get directions' button from google.

It sends me to the maps app, but then it just uses the first 4 not all 6 plus the NA which was in 1.4.....hmmmmmmmm.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Yep, stopped working for me too.

It says 'Unable to handle protocol' when I click the 'get directions' button from google.

It sends me to the maps app, but then it just uses the first 4 not all 6 plus the NA which was in 1.4.....hmmmmmmmm.
    Gah :-(
    Looks like I'm back to printing out maps before I leave home........
    You could find out where you're going (what it looks like, or what it is near) then get directions to the street...and just have a look for it or get to the street and ask someone.

I wonder why Palm can't get it to understand the full 6 digits.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I wonder why Palm can't get it to understand the full 6 digits.
    It's not Palm, it's Google. Although it couldn't hurt for Palm to put some pressure on them... Google acknowledged that it is a problem at their end back in December 2009.
    This is very frustrating, Google Maps is one of the most important App and by not recognising UK full postcodes make the app unusable!!!
    it is ridiculous that we still don't have an answer to that!!
    The only thing i can do is type the name of the road and the 3 fist letter of the postcode, and it gets the position right, but all this sucks and Palm should do something (don't care if it's google fault).
    wrote an official complain to Palm in regards to this, after discussing with the technical support, let see what they say