Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Good morning. I'm a Centro owner just got a new Pre, and it's ohshinyshiny. I'm sorting out what I'm going to use for PIM apps to replace PalmOS and Palm Desktop, and would value advice.

Requirements:

- Data must be backed up somewhere.
    - It should be possible to retrieve this data without a Pre (i.e. Palm Profile is not useful). This is because if I lose/break my phone, I don't want to have to wait for a replacement before I can access my data.
    - It should be possible to access the data from a PC for everyday use, with this PC syncing with the Pre. This can be web-based, but it's preferable for it to work offline too.
    - If must be possible to extract the data and move it somewhere else in the future.

So far, I've found:

- Calendar & Contacts : Just Works through Google. Very nifty.

- Memo: Evernotes seems to do the trick here. Since the windows version keeps a local copy, and can export to HTML, I'm safe even if the company vanishes. Though the export would be awkward still. I'm boggling a bit that it doesn't seem to be possible to copy/paste into the Pre app... Is there anything else that I should try out?

- Tasks: Is there anything available at present that syncs? The built-in app is fine for me in terms of functionality, but it syncs only to Palm Profile. I've seen various homebrew replacements, but none of them sync. I appreciate that google doesn't provide APIs, I'd potentially be happy to sync to somewhere else, either on the web or on my PC.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.
    -Simon.
    Check out Missing Sync
    The Missing Sync - Palm Pre Sync Software - Sync Contacts, Calendars, Music with PC and Mac
    You have to pay for it, but it seems pretty good.
    I wish that Palm would include this for free.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    Check out Missing Sync
    The Missing Sync - Palm Pre Sync Software - Sync Contacts, Calendars, Music with PC and Mac
    You have to pay for it, but it seems pretty good.
    I wish that Palm would include this for free.
    Thanks... unfortunately, I'd have to use Outlook. I don't have Outlook, because I don't have MS Office. I don't want outlook, because (a) it's expensive, and (b) I don't like it ;-)
    I have wondered whether the various things that sync with Outlook would sync with the windows version of Evolution. This may be something to try.

I do like Palm Desktop 4.x.x, but there's little point in putting effort into staying with this since it's not maintained. I do *not* like Palm Desktop 6.

Oh, I take back what I said about Evernote working, too - turns out that its offline functionality on the pre is one-way only, unless I'm missing something? I can create new notes offline, but I can't see old ones.

*sigh* It's not that the sync situation is much better with other devices... Seems that just about everything on the market at present is a downgrade from my Centro :-/
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    OK, I've spent a few hours researching the tasks issue. As it seems to me at present:

1. Outline Tracker will sync with Basecamp. But Basecamp is expensive, and is overkill for what I need - I'm after a to-do list system, not a project management system. Plus, the unrestricted (non-free) version of Outline Tracker is not available to me because I'm outside the US.

2. RTFM - the homebrew Pre client for RTM - is not yet usable. And to be honest, the web interface of RTM is barely usable anyway.

3. I'm wondering about just using the WebOS "tasks" app, backing up the filesystem (which I'll be doing anyway) and seeing if there's any way to extract the data from a PC in the event that I drop my phone in the sea. Has anybody tried this? Is it all in a binary format, or is there some hope?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I just use Google Tasks via a web link in my launcher. Yes, it requires web access, but at least it's constantly sync'd to the cloud. I use Google Tasks via Gmail on my computer and GeeTasks on my iPod touch to keep them all on the same page.

I'm still searching for a good memo/note solution, though...
    Yes, Missing Sync for Palm Pre will sync with Outlook for events and contacts, but the website does state that there will be notes and task syncing coming soon.

There are apps that you can get for the device called Fliq Tasks and Fliq Notes. Search for them in the App catalog. They don't sync now, but will be able to sync to your computer soon. Check out those apps, see if they suit your needs.
    Last edited by HughJR; 03/29/2010 at 12:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HughJR View Post
    Yes, Missing Sync for Palm Pre will sync with Outlook for events and contacts, but the website does state that there will be notes and task syncing coming soon.

There are apps that you can get for the device called Fliq Tasks and Fliq Notes. Search for them in the App catalog. They don't sync now, but will be able to sync to your computer soon. Check out those apps, see if they suit your needs.
    They've been saying that notes and task syncing is coming soon for quite a long time now. The notes program has been broken and nonfunctional since 1.4 hit at the end of Feb, again they claim to be working on it but, well, it doesn't look like they really are and the app should be removed from the app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by lisahorton View Post
    They've been saying that notes and task syncing is coming soon for quite a long time now. The notes program has been broken and nonfunctional since 1.4 hit at the end of Feb, again they claim to be working on it but, well, it doesn't look like they really are and the app should be removed from the app catalog.
    Looks like Task Syncing is here, with v1.2.0

I'm not able to get the Update downloaded yet, but looks hopeful to sync with iCal/BusyCal.
    I use CompanionLink. Works great!

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Quote Originally Posted by swaldman View Post
    - Memo: Evernotes seems to do the trick here. Since the windows version keeps a local copy, and can export to HTML, I'm safe even if the company vanishes. Though the export would be awkward still. I'm boggling a bit that it doesn't seem to be possible to copy/paste into the Pre app... Is there anything else that I should try out?
    Try out Scratch Word Processor. It exports and imports from Google Docs, while storing and working from a copy on your device. It saves MUCH more frequently than the version of Evernote I tried before I decided to write Scratch, and if for some reason Google vanishes you can export to email and import from the web.

I'm hoping to add local file I/O as soon as Palm gives me an App Catalog friendly way to do so, and once that's done you'll be able to save from your device to HTML (and maybe other formats), and then copy that to windows just like it was a file you downloaded.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    I use Pocket Mirror to sync tasks and memos. Works great.
    Further to my earlier post, I can report that I now have The Missing Sync 1.2.0 successfully syncing Tasks between FliqTasks on my Pre and BusyCal (which in turn syncs to iCal) on my Mac.

That was a big aspect I was still missing after ditching my palm Tungsten T2 last year when I got the Pre, so very pleased
    Quote Originally Posted by scstock View Post
    Further to my earlier post, I can report that I now have The Missing Sync 1.2.0 successfully syncing Tasks between FliqTasks on my Pre and BusyCal (which in turn syncs to iCal) on my Mac.

That was a big aspect I was still missing after ditching my palm Tungsten T2 last year when I got the Pre, so very pleased
    You need Notes. Its the best note-taking app on webOS. You can view a demo video in the app catalog and read the app review on webosroundup.com