Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    CPUScaler 1.1.0 - Toggle Cpu Scaling App

this thread has been moved here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...cpu-speed.html

Please read this entire post before installing!!!

To install the new version you must uninstall the old CPUScaler app and its service with WOSQI!! Then you can download and install the new CPUScaler app and its service with WOSQI.

This app was developed to give a Palm Pre user the ability to turn cpu scaling on and off with the touch of a button. The latest version also allows the user to set the cpu to a constant speed of their choosing. There are also other scaling options now if you don't want to use the standard 500-->600mhz.

This app is only for the Palm PRE! This does not work on the palm PIXIE!

To install you have to you WOSQI (webos quick install). To completely uninstall you have to use WOSQI!

It is very important that you remove all cpu effecting patches or code before you install any version of CPUScaler. This includes any scaling, luna setting, userspace, or smart reflex patches or scripts.

First lets talk about how to install the app. You need to download two ipk files. The cpuscaler service and the cpuscaler app. Here is the link to the post that has the download links (sorry for the redirect but i needed a way to track the downloads):
    CPUScaling app and service version 1.1.0

Now you need to make sure you have the latest version of WOSQI and WebOS Doctor in the same folder together. Open WOSQI and add the two ipk files you just downloaded to the install que. Now hit install and accept the statement about l337tech requesting access to run a script. The script is just a post install script to move the cpu scaler service to the correct folder. Now you should have everything you need installed and ready to go.

To use the app simply open it up and press scale on or off. You will know if the button worked if you see a small ad at the top pop up. Now you can go ahead and close the app and your cpu will be scaling (or not scaling) until you reboot or shutdown your phone. If you ever reboot your phone will go back to default processor settings so you will need to open the app back up and hit scale on again. The latest version has a "more options" button that reveals several more scaling and speed setting options.

To uninstall the app and its service completely you have to use WOSQI. Simply go to device management in WOSQI and select CPUScaler and an service called "Service to scale the cpu". Now that the two apps are selected hit uninstall. CPUScaler and its service should be completely removed from your device now.

New features and abilities have been added. Currently it still has the recommended setting for cpu scaling that is disused in detail in this thread. But basically it changes some parameters in the kernel to get it to scale from 500-600mhz depending on the load. See the end of the article for the exact commands used for the "scale on" setting. The set speed options simply uses the userspace scaling governor to set the cpu at a speed and keep it there till you tell it otherwise (Palm uses the userspace scaling governor default).

I, Casey Broome, or L337tech.com is not responsible for any damage this app could or may cause to your phone. This app should only be used by people that understand the risk of running the cpu beyond its default settings. It is true that Palm sets the cpu to 600mhz during PDK gameplay (usually 3D games), but Palm also sets the processor back to 500mhz when you quit the game.

To upgrade you CPUScaling app to the latest version you must uninstall the old app and service first! Then you can download and install the latest version.

I just want to reiterate that if anything goes wrong once you hit the "scale on" button simply restart, shutdown, or pull the battery. You phone will go back to default settings.

The TI cortexA8 processor in your phones is rated to run at 600mhz but an early batch of processors were "bad" and degraded rapidly when set to 600mhz or higher. This caused Palm to down clock all the Pre's even though many people have a "good" processor that are more than capable of long term 600mhz use. This can be seen with the people that have tried scaling before. Some people's phone love it and never have one problem. Other people have problems such as random reboots and hangs when using a scaling patch.

If you like the app and want to see more from me, please consider a donation. I do this in my spare time so anything is appreciated. The donation link can be found on L337tech.com.

If you would like to see how your scaling has been performing copy and paste this command into WOSQI terminal (it shows the amount of time your cpu has been in a certain freq since the last time you rebooted):
    Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    Acknowledgments:
    I would like to give my thanks to DrewPre for the great help creating and compiling the java service, and rwitby from WebOS Internals for help packaging up the java service.

Code used for "scale on":
    echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo 11 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
    echo 1000000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
    echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias

Good luck everyone and happy scaling!

number1pete

CPUScaler version 1.1.0 features:
    -added ability to choose many more scaling options via a "more options" button
    -added ability to choose setting the cpu to a constant speed (using userspace governor)
    -added many constant speeds that you can set the cpu to
    -added ability scroll the app
    -fixed problem where app did not reset all the cpu setings back to default when you hit "Scale and Speed off"
    -fixed problem where app rotated in landscape mode
    -added custom splash screen
    -added ability to hide the more speed and scaling options via "more options" button

CPUScaler version 1.0.0 features:
    -turn cpu scaling on with a button (500-->600mhz scaling)
    -turn cpu scaling off with a button (resets cpu settings to Palm default)
    Last edited by number1pete; 03/20/2010 at 10:55 PM.
    I could'nt download the .ipk's from the link you provided.
    sounds cool can't wait for 720 and 800mhz options.
    Check out noagendashow.com assassinating lamestream media!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by amistak View Post
    I could'nt download the .ipk's from the link you provided.
    fixed the links. Always some problems when launching apps, lol.
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    I just wanted to report my initial results:
    The first time I tapped:CPUSCALEON
    My Pre froze.
    After a battery pull, I tapped CPUSCALEON again, and the Pre froze again.
    Any suggestions?
  6.    #6  
    I just wanted to report my initial results:
    The first time I tapped:CPUSCALEON
    My Pre froze.
    After a battery pull, I tapped CPUSCALEON again, and the Pre froze again.
    Any suggestions?
    sounds like you have one of the "bad" processors. Your probably sol for any cpu modifying code. One thing you can do in the short term is try setting the cpu to 600mhz using userspace and see how it behaves. But honestly if you have a "bad" cpu, running at 600mhz for too long could decrease the phones life. Make sure you hit "scale off" before typing the code below:

Code:
    echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_set_speed

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    Thats what the odd thing is. I have been running the "new" 600mhz patch for 1.4 since it came out, and I was running the same patch on 1.3.5. Also is this code supposed to bring the CPU clock down to 125mhz? I was watching the: cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    and it ticked at 125 before it froze.
    interesting... Looking forward to seeing this evolve..
    Thats what the odd thing is. I have been running the "new" 600mhz patch for 1.4 since it came out, and I was running the same patch on 1.3.5. Also is this code supposed to bring the CPU clock down to 125mhz? I was watching the: cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    Ok, I found that re-installing both .ipks fixed my problem, at least for now. I look forward to seeing how this works!
    will this be available on preware?
    How does this differ to the CPU scaling patch offered by caj2008?

caj2008 patch: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ple-patch.html
    Hang on...if people's phones freeze when they scale to 600, why don't they freeze when they play PDK based games? I had the same problem when I installed CPU scaling...
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    How does this differ to the CPU scaling patch offered by caj2008?

caj2008 patch: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ple-patch.html
    His patch isnt scaling all his patch does is set you at either 600mhz or 550 no scaling up or down.
    nice. How about instead of just 'on' and 'off' add the ability to select which governor is in use, and the ability to set the speed for the userspace governor?

Oh, and current status would be useful.
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 03/18/2010 at 09:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0t03speed View Post
    His patch isnt scaling all his patch does is set you at either 600mhz or 550 no scaling up or down.
    ok, cheers
    I am real interested in this, gonna be watching this thread for more experiences. To those that are running the scaling, are you seeing any battery drain issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Ours is not cpu scaling by design (constant frequency). A precise calculation is required for cpu scaling as undervoltage as well as overvolatge can be deleterious to the hardware. Our kernel has been optimized electronically (single frequency) to the board electronics, this is why presumably there is no freezing occurring.
    This is exactly why my phone worked fine using your patches caj.
    I got it to work now, and I have been monitoring my CPU during different activities. It is very responsive, and pretty much throttles back down to 500mhz when there isnt anything going on. Audio and video playback work great. Its like having the best of both worlds! I will post additional info as my day goes on.
    Installed on my Pre+. Previously I had been running at a constant 600mhz by modifying the LunaSysMgr via command line.
    Last edited by peterlemonjello; 03/18/2010 at 02:40 PM.
  19.    #19  
    yeah your problem is when it scales down to 125mhz. The ondemand governor downclocks and reduces voltage and if you have one of the "bad" procesors, they hate to be undervolted therefore freeze when they scale down to 125mhz. The code is supposed to keep the cpu between 500-600mhz but i have noticed that it does infact go down to 125mhz randomly sometimes. Hopefully Palm's next update will supply a more reliable kernel.

For people with the "good" procesors, 125mhz is no problem and they will never see freezing like you.

Super PreKernel app

20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    That "bad processor" quote is not true in my opinion. It is likely an incompatibility of the software with the electronics of the board due to imprecise calibration. Any EE knows complete calibration of board electronics with software is essential. 720 and 800 MHz wouldn't work if what you stated was true. One significant reason it does work is that a complete optimization of the kernel is done with the existing hardware! Another possibility is that software incompatibilities in the cpu scaling app causing freezing can also not be ruled out.
    the "bad" procesors hate undervolting and downclocking to 125mhz. They typically do fine at the higher frequencies with more voltage.

i have done extensive research on the Pre's over the last year and have definately noticed that there are good and bad procesors. Look up some of my cpu scaling threads from a year ago to see the results.

Super PreKernel app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast