1.    #1  
    Please , please, please, is there a way (patch?) to force the Music player to only scan certain folders?
    I have a folder of ringtones that have been converted to mono and 150% volume but they show up in the list of music, this folder has 100 or so tones so its a right pain to scroll through them.
    Surely it cant be that hard to do?
    would be nice for it to only scan a folder called "music" for instance.
    I know i could sort by genda/artist/album etc but that would mean re-tagging all my ring tones which sort of misses the point.
    once you import your ringtones you can delete them. They don't have to be saved on the pre.
  3. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpcroft View Post
    Please , please, please, is there a way (patch?) to force the Music player to only scan certain folders?
    I have a folder of ringtones that have been converted to mono and 150% volume but they show up in the list of music, this folder has 100 or so tones so its a right pain to scroll through them.
    Surely it cant be that hard to do?
    would be nice for it to only scan a folder called "music" for instance.
    I know i could sort by genda/artist/album etc but that would mean re-tagging all my ring tones which sort of misses the point.
    Rename any folder you don't want scanned by the Music App to have a "." before the name (i.e. - ".Ringtones"). Anything with a "." before it shouldn't be scanned.
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    Rename any folder you don't want scanned by the Music App to have a "." before the name (i.e. - ".Ringtones"). Anything with a "." before it shouldn't be scanned.
    Yeah, but then you forget the folder is there.

I agree with the OP. This behavior and lack of control is a really poor design decision (that's my nice way of saying 'stupid'). The same problem exists for the PDF viewer.

I understand why palm did this (idiots who can't find things on their phones), but really, the solution is worse than the problem. Use a default configuration 'mkdir -p $storageplace by the application, if you will), and give us the ability to put things there. I'd be happy even with that much and not the ability to specify the location, although, that option is the proper way to do things.

I think palm 'dumbed down' a lot of things in WebOS on purpose, but this really went too far.
  5.    #5  
    Maybe the author of Music Player Remix might consider adding this feature, im no expert in Webos but it cant be that hard to make the Pre only search a certain folder and all its sub folders?
    Maybe the author of Music Player Remix might consider adding this feature, im no expert in Webos but it cant be that hard to make the Pre only search a certain folder and all its sub folders?
    The app will not list any music files in the "Ringtones" sub-folder. So if you put all your unwanted ringtones in this directory, then you can store the rest of your music files in a single "music" folder or in any other type of sub-directories and the app will only play those files.

Ay mentioned being able to store them in directories beginning with a period. I'm not sure if that's true or not. I thought even hidden directories (those beginning with a period) would be picked up. But it's worth a try.

So since you already have the capability to exclude the Ringtones directory, I don't see this as a high priority change needed for Music Player (Remix).

As far as the difficulty of this change, yes it is difficult. With the SDK (Javascript/HTML development tools), it's impossible since we rely on the webOS media library service to provide the list of music files. With the PDK that was just released, it may be possible, but it would require writing a brand new media library service from scratch. I recently spoke about this in my Music Player (Remix) homebrew thread. You can view my thoughts on this in that thread.

EDIT: I thought about it some more and it's not impossible with the SDK; however it's also difficult. When pulling the list of music files from the media library service, you do have access to each of their paths, so you could parse each one and eliminate the ones with certain paths. However I still think this change is not necessary since there is already a way to hide files from the music player.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 03/16/2010 at 07:17 AM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  7.    #7  
    Will adding the "." prefix not exclude the folder from everything?
    As in, will the ringtone app still find the ".ringtones loud mono" folder or does "." hide the folder from everything WebOs??

EDIT: Just tried amending the folder from "imported tones" to ".imported tones" using USB mode and i get an error "you must type a file name"? it looks like windows is treating the ".imported tones" as a file extension so requires a name before the period.
    Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
    Last edited by sharpcroft; 03/16/2010 at 12:00 PM.
  8. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Will adding the "." prefix not exclude the folder from everything?
    As in, will the ringtone app still find the ".ringtones loud mono" folder or does "." hide the folder from everything WebOs??

EDIT: Just tried amending the folder from "imported tones" to ".imported tones" using USB mode and i get an error "you must type a file name"? it looks like windows is treating the ".imported tones" as a file extension so requires a name before the period.
    Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
    Hmmm....I know it's possible to do, but, you're absolutely right, I'm running into the same issue. I can't create a ".FolderName" folder via USB mode or via Internalz directly on the Pre either. I had never tried before you made your post. It's definitely doable though - I just don't know how....Perhaps one of the devs who have had their own apps do so can chime in....