1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,
    Just setting up my new Pre and I can't find all the apps that I need in the Catalog. Maybe you can help me out.

This is what I need, in free or paid apps:

1. Note Pad - an app like the Palm OS app that allowed you draw a note and set a vibrating alarm for it, fully integrated into the Pre's notification system.
    2. Ogg Vorbis-compatible music player
    3. Power manager with scheduling, like Power Hero on Palm OS
    4. Full Alarm Manager, like Butler on Palm OS
    5. Unit converter, like YAUC
    6. Onboard file manager, like 3XCOM on Palm OS
    7. Date calculator - for calculating how many days or hours between two times.
    8. PDF Viewer **that works**. The built-in PDFView isn't even capable of opening the official Palm doc that I downloaded from Palm.com
    9. Speed reading app, like the Palm OS version of RapidReader. Yes, I will use it on Classic for now
    10. Ebook reader, that can read ebooks directly from a url or files that I upload via USB. Ideally it would be landscape view-capable. I loved TiBR Pro on Palm OS
    11. Call recorder - I'd like to be able to record phone calls or parts of phone calls, such as for creating podcast interviews.
    12. Voice memos
    13. World Clock, especially one takes advantage of GPS
    14. Siddur - Jewish daily prayerbook in Hebrew

What can you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Jacob
    How about a PalmOS Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by jshare View Post
    Note Pad - an app like the Palm OS app that allowed you draw a note and set a vibrating alarm for it, fully integrated into the Pre's notification system.
    The Pre has a capacitive screen. There isn't anything like that for webOS
    Ogg Vorbis-compatible music player
    I think there's something in development...but nothing out yet
    Power manager with scheduling, like Power Hero on Palm OS
    Not sure what "power Manegement" you're talking about. what do you want it to do?
    Full Alarm Manager, like Butler on Palm OS
    There's an app or homebrew alarm application that might work. Check out those catalogs
    Unit converter, like YAUC
    There's a few apps and homebrew application that do this. Check out those catalogs

Onboard file manager, like 3XCOM on Palm OS
    The ONLY file manager is Internalz in homebrew. Check it out through Preware
    Date calculator - for calculating how many days or hours between two times.
    I think there's a homebrew app that does that. Check Preware
    PDF Viewer **that works**. The built-in PDFView isn't even capable of opening the official Palm doc that I downloaded from Palm.com
    Check out some of the patches that add functionality to the PDF viewer through Preware.
    Speed reading app, like the Palm OS version of RapidReader. Yes, I will use it on Classic for now
    Stick to Classic
    Ebook reader, that can read ebooks directly from a url or files that I upload via USB. Ideally it would be landscape view-capable. I loved TiBR Pro on Palm OS
    Did you check soem of the eBook apps already?
    Call recorder - I'd like to be able to record phone calls or parts of phone calls, such as for creating podcast interviews.
    Nope...no Mic APIs yet from Palm for webOS
    Voice memos
    See above
    World Clock, especially one takes advantage of GPS
    Not that i'm aware of...sounds like an oppertunity for a good app.
    Siddur - Jewish daily prayerbook in Hebrew
    I thought I came accross something in Homebrew...or maybe not. Check Preware

What can you suggest?
    Have you tried Gieco? I saved a ton on my auto insurance.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jshare View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Just setting up my new Pre and I can't find all the apps that I need in the Catalog. Maybe you can help me out.

This is what I need, in free or paid apps:

1. Note Pad - an app like the Palm OS app that allowed you draw a note and set a vibrating alarm for it, fully integrated into the Pre's notification system.
    2. Ogg Vorbis-compatible music player
    3. Power manager with scheduling, like Power Hero on Palm OS
    4. Full Alarm Manager, like Butler on Palm OS
    5. Unit converter, like YAUC
    6. Onboard file manager, like 3XCOM on Palm OS
    7. Date calculator - for calculating how many days or hours between two times.
    8. PDF Viewer **that works**. The built-in PDFView isn't even capable of opening the official Palm doc that I downloaded from Palm.com
    9. Speed reading app, like the Palm OS version of RapidReader. Yes, I will use it on Classic for now
    10. Ebook reader, that can read ebooks directly from a url or files that I upload via USB. Ideally it would be landscape view-capable. I loved TiBR Pro on Palm OS
    11. Call recorder - I'd like to be able to record phone calls or parts of phone calls, such as for creating podcast interviews.
    12. Voice memos
    13. World Clock, especially one takes advantage of GPS
    14. Siddur - Jewish daily prayerbook in Hebrew

What can you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Jacob
    Get yourself Preware, since it opens you up to Homebrew apps, as well as provided easy access the Palm's beta and "web" catalogs. Most of the below are not in the official app catalog.

Notepad: "Classic Note" sounds like what you want. [EDIT] Actually, now that I re-read, it isn't. You want DoodleBug. Nothing like it. And because you can't use a stylus, the "write on the screen" approach isn't very good. I've tried it; the experience is bad enough that you go to the keyboard.

Ogg Vorbis: I don't know, I don't play non-streaming audio on my Pre.

Power Manager: While there are apps and patches to do specific things regarding power, there's nothing like what you're looking for. If I understand what you want.

Alarm Manager: There may be an app or two that does alarms, but the built-in clock is the closest that I've seen, to be honest.

Unit Converter: There are dozens of these. Take your pick. Some are free. Some not.

File Manager: Your best bet is to go Linux command line or via terminal. There is a homebrew app, but I don't know the status of it. It's be awhile since I've seen mentions of it.

Date Calculator: See "Unit Converter." I'd be shocked if none of them did dates.

PDF Viewer: What's there is what you get.

Speed Reading: No idea, but...

eBook Reader: There are a couple, but pReader is (in my opinion) the best. It's unique in that it does several DRM formats, plus a ton of other formats. It's free and the developers are amazing and nice people. They add features and new formats like crazy. Not sure if this helps you with speed reading, however.

Call recorder: No.

Voice memos: No, does not exist. Palm has not released an API for the microphone and no one has, yet, hacked it (to my knowledge) to the point of making a voice memo app.

World clock: There are a few, depends on your tastes. Look through the official catalog.

Siddur: Judaism apps were actually among the first available. My personal needs for such apps aren't significant (I'm more interested in the dates than, say, actual sundown times), but I'm thinking that there is a siddur app out there.

Keep in mind that there may be web apps out there (say, developed for the iPhone) that may do what you want. Converters, date calculators, siddur are all great examples of things that work great as web apps (as long as you have a data signal) and don't need to take up room on your device.

Also, some of these may be served by other services. For example, there are services that do voice recording and transcription via a phone call, thereby not requiring you to have an app. When I need voice recording, I simply a Google Voice account and leave myself a voicemail. GV does transcriptions, too, which are then e-mailed to my Pre. Not perfect, but it works. And there are other companies that, for a relatively low fee, have very advanced voice recording apps.

In the notepad area, Evernote is excellent, although may be overkill. And the Pre client is poor.
    the notepad app that he wants shouldnt be too hard , there are several paint apps, so if one has the ability to save the pic you drew, without a screen capture, than they just need to modify it to add an alarm function.

i know say should be and just and other words making it sound simple. im not a programmer so i dont really know but it seems possible
    Here's an app you might find useful... Classic note: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...assicnote.html

You can get it now via AppScoop.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  7.    #7  
    Thank you all for your replies. I'll definitely take a look at Preware and the other suggestions.

Regarding Note Pad - I agree that 'finger-painting' with the Pre just isn't the same as writing with a stylus, so I suppose that I would settle for an app that lets me set a vibrating alarm for text reminders but it would be really cool if I could also do audio/video reminders as well.