1.    #1  
    In case people haven't heard, Intuit pulled the plug on Landware's Pocket Quicken (the reason I went with the Pre/Classic as opposed to another smartphone in the first place) as of March 1st. This move not only affects sales, but also product support -- Landware isn't allowed to provide any from now on.

This leads me to wonder -- since PQ is so important an app for me, what happens if my hardware dies and needs to be replaced (or, at the very least, hard erased)? Will Classic automatically reload PQ, or at least allow me to manually reinstall the program and use the activation code I used before? Or would I be SOL? Some reassurance, if appropriate, would certainly be welcome here!
    If you keep your installation of PQ (.prc file) on your PC, Classic will allow for it to be installed as many times as you want. Everything else, such as licensing, is not something we can take care of on our side, because PQ is a third party app.

Hope this helps a bit...
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Wow. I hadn't heard that news.

It rather frustrates me as I have no intention of moving to a web-only Quicken (I can't stand Mint). Pocket Quicken was fabulous.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post
    If you keep your installation of PQ (.prc file) on your PC, Classic will allow for it to be installed as many times as you want. Everything else, such as licensing, is not something we can take care of on our side, because PQ is a third party app.
    What I'm asking is, should such a re-installation be necessary, would the Classic environment be considered the same "Palm device" as before? I have the .prc as well as my registration code but, since that code is only good for a specific Palm device, if a restored installation of Classic (whether on a newly-erased Pre or a replacement device if the first Pre breaks) is seen by PQ as "the same Palm," it should be able to reinstall. If it sees it as a whole new piece of hardware, it would require a different registration code -- and, of course, that would no longer be available.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercule View Post
    Wow. I hadn't heard that news.

It rather frustrates me as I have no intention of moving to a web-only Quicken (I can't stand Mint). Pocket Quicken was fabulous.
    Same here. I have no idea what the folks at Intuit have been smoking, because their new paradigm for accounting is pathetic. As to Mint -- if I wanted to know my current bank account balances, I'd call the flippin' bank. When I manage my money, I want to know what my actual running balance is -- not just the balance based on whatever transactions have cleared the bank so far.

At this point, if something happened to my Pre and I was unable to reinstall PQ, I'd have no choice but to go with SplashMoney. And since that only imports Quicken data from 2004 or earlier (and, needless to say, I'm using 2005), it would mean starting from scratch and tossing out the past seventeen years of financial data. Thanks, Intuit!
    Quote Originally Posted by regnaD kciN View Post
    What I'm asking is, should such a re-installation be necessary, would the Classic environment be considered the same "Palm device" as before? I have the .prc as well as my registration code but, since that code is only good for a specific Palm device, if a restored installation of Classic (whether on a newly-erased Pre or a replacement device if the first Pre breaks) is seen by PQ as "the same Palm," it should be able to reinstall. If it sees it as a whole new piece of hardware, it would require a different registration code -- and, of course, that would no longer be available.
    OK, we do not know how a particular developer handles registration process, but as far as Classic is concerned:

1. For as long as you (re) installing Classic on the SAME webOS phone, Classic is “acting” as the same phone
    2. On a different webOS phone, it will actually appear to third party Palm OS apps as a different phone

Hope this helps?

Cheers!
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    I recently did a full erase on my phone, and Classic reloaded from my Palm Profile. After running hotsync, Pocket Quicken was back, exactly the way I left it. No need to reload manually or enter an activation code. I just made sure I entered the Hotsync ID the same as it was before I erased the device and told Hotsync Manager on the computer to sync with the existing profile when it asked me. No hassle or trouble at all.

Hope this helps ease your mind. I wasn't happy when I heard about Pocket Quicken's death, either.
    I bought my Pre after March 1 and tried to transfer Pocket Quicken to it. No luck. I need the activation code. However, my old activation code won't work on a new device. So, I guess that's it. No point in having Classic . The only old app I wanted was Pocket Quicken. Anything to replace it with?