View Poll Results: Why do you review apps in the App Catalog?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Review applications to point out a problem (without contact the developer first).

11 30.56%
  • Review applications to point out a problem (after trying to work with the developer).

7 19.44%
  • Review applications to thank the developer for fixing a problem.

7 19.44%
  • Review applications just because you like the application.

34 94.44%
  • Review applications to suggest new feature (without contact the developer first).

9 25.00%
  • Review applications to thank a developer for adding a feature you requested.

4 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    As the ex-developer of Cheezburger Network, I though it would be interesting to see how many people out there review the apps they buy? I ran into a problem where a last min change in webOS 1.4's development and Palm's application requirements destroyed C.N. forcing me to release an update early just so users could have a functioning application. My thanks? Lots of angry, rude and nasty reviews and messages! Needless to say, I have stopped all development on the application because at $.99/pop, it's just not worth my time anymore! I've never worked with such an immature and rude user base before! It shocks me how people think nothing of paying a buck for a can of pop to drink in a matter of minutes, but if they pay a buck for an app, that somehow makes the developer their !

My rant aside, how many people out there have actually reviewed a program for more then just flaming purposes?

I'd challenge everyone here to stop complaining for once and go thank their top 5 webOS app developers - especially those who are willing to put up with so much crap!

(Check out the discussion in these comments: http://www.precentral.net/new-app-ca...-2010#comments)

Edit: Cheezburger Network has been taken down from the app catalog and an update is being developed. If you are a current customer and would like to test, please contact me using the email support from the application. Thanks!
    Last edited by WhoAmI; 03/09/2010 at 03:06 PM.
    You might want to check out the iphone app comments. I had an iphone from work for a while and the reviewers were at LEAST as nasty, if not nastier. I agree that people are a bunch of *****es in the store, but its no worse than youtube or any comment section on any website.

I am pretty sure for the most part though you are preaching to the choir. Most of the people in this community aren't going to be the really nasty ones (although I am sure there are some).

There has definitely been a serious trend towards negativity on the web as a whole. You simply can't find a comment section anyway without it.
    I've probably reviewed 30+ apps so far. If I don't like the app, I say why. I normally then offer my suggestion for an improvement(s). I sometimes think a snarky comment is justified, but I am never vulgar.

I can't tell you what to do, but I would encourage you to still develop either CN or something else.
    As a developer, I can feel your frustration. I don't mind reviews with constructive feedback. What is frustrating is when someone has an issue and never tries to contact me in addition to posting a review. I provide two email address buttons (for feedback/suggestions and bugs/support) on the app's Help screen but many times I never hear from the reviewers. Sometimes I do and that's great because I can help them with any issues or feedback they have. Almost all of my updates to the app have come from suggestions from users.

The most frustrating reviews are when they post feedback about my app that just isn't true. For instance recently someone posted that you can't assign custom ringtones for the notifications, but you can on the Preferences screen! I wish I (or even other people) could reply back to comments in the review section similar to amazon.com. And the ability to rate each review would be great so other people could "downgrade" or "upgrade" certain reviews.

But I have been lucky that there have also been several people that posted reviews and also emailed me. For instance one person posted in the review that he wished my app had a certain feature, and it already did and once I told him how to access it he edited his review and added another star. I definitely appreciated that.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    DanPLC, I can't beliee anyone wold give you a bad review!! Music Player Remix has been my only music player since you developed it!!

My thing is people who post stuff like "This app sux, it never loads". Well if it loads on 1000 Pres an it doesn' on yours, is that the developer's fault or yours?! Same with people complaining about 1.4 and other things: we tweek and patch these phone to the hilt, which is awesome, but we take the health of our device in our hands by doing so. Then somethin doesn't work and everyone s so quick to blame a developer or Palm without asking, "Gee, did I do something that caused this?".

I agree with NyquiskJack, people are just like that, especially when you can't see them. In the comfort of your (mother's) living room it's easy to be a bully in an internet forum or a review space. But if that person was in front of you, they'd back down in a heartbeat.

People who post reviews that are not helpful and hurt the overall rating of apps need to go but never will. Rating the ratings is a great idea, as is responding to the reviews. But please, please, PLEASE don't abandon webOS. There are a few really great developers out there in the homebrew community. You are the ones that make owning the Pre worthwhile. Don't let the @ssh0les get you down. Where would they be without you?
    I try to review apps as much as possible, but I'll admit that I typically only do it if the app really blows me away - in a good or bad way.

If there is something wrong I will always try to contact the DEV first.

The only reason I would give a negative review was if the App description made promises that the App didn't live up to. I'm not talking about update issues, or glitches... I'm talking actual funtionality. If it does what it says it will, that's worth at least 4 stars right there. If it delivers above the description, then it gets 5.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I always review what I buy in the catalog. Well I don't like to see nasty pointless reviews if I spend money on a application I would expect it to work as described in the Catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by jstew10 View Post
    DanPLC, I can't beliee anyone wold give you a bad review!! Music Player Remix has been my only music player since you developed it!!
    Thanks! I haven't gotten too many bad reviews for GeoStrings (4.7 average rating), but there have been a few that were frustrating because I would have liked to contact them to help them with their issues or respond to their suggestions.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I think I've reviewed all the apps I've purchased in the catalog and also a few free ones. I always point out the good points of the app and provide any constructive feedback if I have any.
    I generally try to review any app that I find myself with an opinion on, good or bad.

I hadn't thought of trying to contact developers about problems or issues, but I see now that maybe I should. You guys aren't some giant evil corporation like Apple, so I guess you might actually read feedback from users. My mistake, I'll do better in the future.
    I see a lot of reviews from people who obviously didn't even try the app, there's just something about the title or category they dislike.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I feel your pain. Absolutely. I get all sorts of reviews. Lots of people happy. Lots of people ****ed off at one little thing. Mostly, it's if RadioTime doesn't carry their one particular station that they just can't live without. Despite it being explained in the help section of the app that not all streams are compatible with WebOS (mainly because of lack of WMA support or licensing issues). Or there will be some stream that will be down and they'll write a review that'll say something like, "It doesn't play! Nothing plays!" Since we don't stream the stations, only organize and direct to streams, the chances that ALL streams would be down would be rarer than Google.com and Yahoo.com both being down, at the same time, twice. Of course, they'll leave a 0 star review despite it all being explained in the Help section. Then, there was the dreaded WebOS 1.3.5 bug that prevented some users from downloading any apps. Of course, they'll leave a 0 start review for that as well even if the problem is a WebOS issue, not an app issue. That was a bad week to be featured. There's always a few gems in there that just make me laugh. One reviewer commented that the "sheisty update wiped out my favorites. I don't have time for this *****! Deleted!" even though it's a literal impossibility. Presets are stored on the RadioTime.com server...in the cloud. All she had to do was login.

However, that's not to say that dev email is much better. It's mainly people asking for a particular station or asking why "ALL STREAMS ARE DOWN?!" when they've only tried a single stream, again, with it all being explained in the Help section. What's odd about when this happens is that in order to actually get to the Email Support section of the Help section, you actually have to scroll past a list of all of the answers to the questions being asked. The reviewer who said the update wiped out her favorites actually emailed me a few days after posting her review (I'm assuming it is the same person considering the language and the name). I had to mess with her a bit after she inquired about her presets being gone and said, "Oh don't worry. I noticed that you said you deleted the app from your Pre. If you'd be so kind as to just give me your username, I can go ahead and delete your account and free up the username for somebody else."

Meh. What are you going to do? People like to complain.

Doc
    I feel you guys and I'm not even a developer. Reading the reviews is just...blargh! Not enough facepalm in the world.

It's really stupid when people give one star for one little problem or review the app for what they want it to be instead of what it is. Not saying they can't suggest improvements, but coming to an app and rating it zero stars because you think it should be free despite the fact the the app is in fact well-designed is just rude. Generally, I review most apps I buy. These reviews generally include what I like and thought they did great on and one or two suggestions for feature. I then update the review if the feature gets added. I may also update them to address some issues on a developer's behalf. Yes, that's how much those stupid reviews annoy me.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I'm sort of the opposite. The only apps I've bothered to review are the ones I use and like the most . Crappy apps just get shoved to the bottom of the launcher or deleted.
    HP Touchpad: I just cant quit you, baby.
    Talk about telling only one side of the story...

As someone who recently changed my rating for Cheezburger Network from 5 stars to 1 star, I simply want what I paid for: An app that worked brilliantly at accessing the various Cheezburger Network sites. I loved the old version of this app. It worked almost flawlessly, pulling in images from the appropriate sites and letting me save or MMS them as needed. Easy-to-use and a great deal for $1.

I realize changes in 1.4 broke the app and would be perfectly fine waiting for fixes to come. It's not like this is a mission critical piece of software. However, the new version COMPLETELY broke pretty much all of the app's functionality. I can't seem to see images from sites other than LOLCats, when I try to save one it saves the wrong image, and there's a ton of loading time that's not distinguishable from the app completely hanging up. None of these things were present in the older versions to this extent.

Like most users who are probably wondering *** is going on, I had no idea the new version was rushed out the door due to complaints. I simply downloaded the update and saw that one of my favorite apps dating back to homebrew was broken, with pretty much nothing working correctly. Please explain how someone is supposed to know that and have any sympathy or patience for you?

I feel your pain about the complainers--they're more trouble than they're worth a lot of the time and you do have to filter out the whiners. However, pulling all support to get a FUNCTIONAL app up and running and not a broken pile of garbage like the current release? Very mature and way to support those who just want an app that works as well as it used to.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Well, I'm open to suggestions here! I prefer the old design myself... I had it all ready for 1.4 but Palm apparently didn't want me to use that method of loading images (because "Photo didn’t load multiple times during testing" using the original method) and therefore would not approve the application. They required me to use a different method so I had to switch to using the download service. This service has a slew of issues of it's own that are the root of almost all of the issues people are having with CN (Biggest issues are stemming from the fact that the service is telling my app a file has been downloaded before it actually is).

So, my options are use an old method that works well for most people but Palm won't let into the App Catalog, or use Palm's service that doesn't work properly for this use.

For the few that have been nice enough to contact me first, I've been pointing people to the Comics Application - which is FREE and uses RSS feeds instead of the XML API (which has issues of it's own... ex: For a few weeks now, the Lol Objects XML has been sending the wrong text with pictures and mixing content from other categories) - as well as explaining the situation to them. The bottom line is between Palm and the XML API, I currently can not even correct the application.

(btw, the app has been suspended because of the issues)
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I almost forgot to mention that I had requests from people who did not like the old method to use the pinch to zoom method while I had zero positive comments about the UI. Also, even though it was rushed, I had 5 customers (all one's that have contacted me using the numerous support options) beta-test it and they all liked the changes. So, everything goes back to my first post where I say to comment on programs with reasons why you LIKE them - don't just rip something when you don't like it.
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    I don't flame.

I have not bought any apps. But i have reviewed a few good and bad apps but only maybe 4 total. I gave a good review for Facebook after the recent update and for Engadget. I gave a bad review before but i don't remember specifices, or make it a habit. it has to be pretty useless or be offensive or something to anger me enough. Normally i just will delete it.

But honestly i just don't have very many apps on my phone that i use. DanPLC's music remix is good, i mentioned engadget and i never use it, and i occasionally check facebook now. Pretty much everything else i have is a launch app or something else i rarely use.

i understand that developers get angry and i don't know the original poster's app or situation but i've read some reviews of some apps and a whole lot of the reviews are justified. I get that they may be rude. I feel you on that and it's kinda needless. But there are also a lot of bad/not useful apps. i'd guess some of the rude comments are just dumb kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    I almost forgot to mention that I had requests from people who did not like the old method to use the pinch to zoom method while I had zero positive comments about the UI. Also, even though it was rushed, I had 5 customers (all one's that have contacted me using the numerous support options) beta-test it and they all liked the changes. So, everything goes back to my first post where I say to comment on programs with reasons why you LIKE them - don't just rip something when you don't like it.
    I thought the old UI was perfect for what it set out to do. I saw some of the user reviews from people who apparently did not have the mental ability to press a right arrow to move to the next image and thought those were a bit asinine, personally. The old Cheezburger Network UI was internally consistent, easy-to-use, and practically flawless--those are the things that mattered to me. I never bothered emailing you because the app worked exactly the way it did in homebrew (which I liked) and I had zero issues with it and no suggestions to improve it. I suspect more people felt that way about it than you may have realized.

I know it's too late now, but I'm sure you realize that you're going to hear from the whiners who think they know how to design your app better than you do. As someone who dabbles in graphic design, I've found that everyone has an opinion and usually those opinions are not consistent with mine or are flat-out wrong in some cases (the ahem, interesting...themes of varying quality in the theme gallery here prove that much). I call it the Geocities/MySpace syndrome--everyone thinks they can design stuff but very few people do it well or even passably. The old Cheezburger Network app did its job very well, IMO.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I am new to palm pre plus and downloading apps but, I try to leave a review and would not want to leave nasty messages. I work in customer service and know that complaints rule and whenever you get a nice one it makes it worthwile. Honest feedback can be done in a even tone.