Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a family practice doc currently using a Palm TX. I use my Palm for 6 main things in addition to my calendar: epocrates, UpToDate, OB checkout, Bilitool, Shots2009, and my personal memos.

Epocrates, UpToDate, Bilitool, & Shots are all either available on the mobile web or as WebOS apps, and I know there's a homebrew app to import all of my current memos into a Pre.

Does anyone know of an OB patient tracking app similar to OB Checkout or Preg Tracker for WebOS? I'd rather not use Classic if I don't need to.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Concur. Would love to see one but no luck to date. Stuck using OB wheel in epocrates (requires inputting LMP vs EDD which would be better) or classic.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    How are you accessing bilitool and OB checkout now? I have Lexi and Epocrates- enjoy the greater comprehensiveness of Lexi.
  4.    #4  
    Bilitool is available online at bilitool.org.
    Patient tracking app would be great. Also something I could sync with my google calender that reminds me about having the staff call them during 6mo recalls.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I am starting to teach myself how to program, just so I can make an OB patient tracker app for WebOS.

In the meantime, if you are running PalmOS still, check out MedCalc. It has more calculators than Epocrates does.
    Trackers would be good, but would involve some knowledge of webOS database programming. I bought Frank Z's book but still haven't got down to reading it
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Blah. I would love to do something like this. If I had the time.

I might still consider it.

Can someone give me a really basic breakdown of feature progression that they would want to see in an app like this.

As in:

If I had a maximum of 3 hours to spend on it today to have something BASELINE functional for you guys to use, what would it include?

Examples:

-Form fields
    --Name
    --etc, etc

A page for viewing all the entries (patients), which lets you edit, or add new ones...

That's all I can think of right now... JUST to get the ball rolling. I can incorporate this into a local database, etc... EVENTUALLY, I can have it submitted to an online database for backup (either constantly every night at a user specified time and/or a button that says sync now). However, the online database stuff would come much later...

Quote Originally Posted by hoo.haaa View Post
    Patient tracking app would be great. Also something I could sync with my google calender that reminds me about having the staff call them during 6mo recalls.
    This can also be added eventually with a relatively small amount of pain, as the app progresses...

Local database app with just a form for now would be relatively easy and have a quick turnaround...

If someone can guide me step by step (in detail) of the specific features they want added within a few hours every day, I might be able to work VERY CLOSELY with a few of you guys here to get something up and running soon...

What do you guys think?
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    oops
    Last edited by BBooDoc; 09/30/2010 at 11:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    SiratoXero -

I like the idea of you doing this a lot, as it is turning out to be more work to learn WebOS programming than I am able to commit to quickly. The Java structure is the scary part. Ares is pretty easy to use, otherwise. I'd definitely pay a reasonable price for the app, and I think others would, too. I'd be happy to help you with technical requirements, betatesting, etc. Long read here, but you can skip to bottom to quickly see format desired of main app list page.

I'm a family doctor in rural Wisconsin, delivering babies from 2 different clinics that each have different electronic medical record programs, and I need to be able to keep my total preg momma list in one list so that I stay organized, and can know vital info immediately when a mom is in rapid labor or emergency problem. It also helps me to be able to plan my vacations and time off, so I know how far I can go away and get back in time to deliver a mom, or not have to worry about it. (If they are too premature, then they are taken to a city to deliver)

These are the things I like in a preg tracking program; I'm sure others might be able to comment more.

EDD: basic calculator1 is Estim Deliv Date
    "The single most important thing that the obstetrician must do for the pregnant mother is to determine the Estimated Date of Confinement" is how my old OB textbook started. Now it sounds nicer to say Estimated Delivery Date.

usually gestational (pregnancy) length is based on 1st day of last menstrual period + 280 days= 40 weeks. It can go overdue, so wouldn't want to limit the calculator to 40 weeks

Estimated Delivery Date needs to be able to be calculated from the LMP date for each mom.

ALSO - must be able to choose an EDD arbitrarily, such as from ultrasound dates, and have that date used for the EDD then. (for a rough and dirty proof of concept beta, you could START with this arbitrary EDD, so that you wouldn't have to calculate it backwards over New Years, etc.)

EGA: Estimated Gestational Age

needs to be calculated for each mom each time you open the app, so that on any day you can see how far along each mom is.
    PREFERABLY (later) express it in Weeks and Days (ie 35w 5d)

NICE TO HAVE Later:
    Later - basic database info for each mom (but make optional to add)
    Vital info for a mom: G's and Ps (Gravida, Para, Alive/Abortions in format
    G# P# A# or A#,#,#,#

Blood type
    (A-, A+, B-, B+, AB-, AB+, O-, O+)

Group B Strep + or - and date tested (a bacteria that is tested for at 35 weeks or so)

Other labs normal? Y/N

Other Concerns: text field

Ultrasound findings: text field at least. Later: could add EDD from US dates, and to decide if to use this for the EDD for the pregnancy in the 1st scene.

Being able to calculate the EGA on any chosen date, in order to decide when to do certain things, etc.
    -----------------------------------

I would envision the first scene to look something like a list that automatically updates the EGA from the EDD whenever opened.

========================
    (list of)
    name EDD EGA
    name EDD EGA
    name EDD EGA
    ========================
    etc
    up to at least 15 or 20 entries would be nice (if not unlimited, later)

and be able to enter/delete these lines as needed
    PREFERABLY - sort the lines by EDD (or EGA) so that the soonest due (biggest EGA) is on top, and newest pregnancies (smallest EGA) are at the bottom.

LATER - be able to click on a mom and have it go into her G'sPs, blood type, GBS, etc.

As to online database, at least in USA this would probably not be a good idea, due to privacy laws. It would be better if it was a file saved in USB partition that could be FileSync'd locally for confidentiality sake.

Hope this helps. I'll try to go to your web site and send you my email, too. If we work on this together, we may want to do details a little less publicly, so that you can get the money for the work!

And PalmDoc - I'm certainly not dissing your excellent products. I use them all!
    Last edited by BBooDoc; 09/30/2010 at 11:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Trackers would be good, but would involve some knowledge of webOS database programming. I bought Frank Z's book but still haven't got down to reading it
    I haven't even got a book yet....!
    @BBooDoc:

That is FANTASTIC. That's exactly what I was looking for. Email me: sirataxero(at)gmail.com and we can begin talking about formulas/methods of EGA/EDD automation, etc.

If the original idea is literally a list of moms with these specific stats, I'm pretty sure I can draw that up RELATIVELY easily... Now it may take me a while tbh, but I would love to do something like this.

Thanks for the idea and the feedback. I look forward to working with you to get this thing off the ground!

Also: If anyone else has some suggestions for info fields they want to see added, please feel free to email me or post in this thread. I'm subscribed so I'll catch it instantly. Keep the suggestions coming for the primary iteration of this app. As of right now, I'll begin working on the version BBooDoc has suggested, so for now I'm open to additional fields you guys would like to add to this. If there's other ideas or features, start keeping a list of them and lets keep track of them, but I can't promise adding them in ASAP...
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I can see that others might be comfortable uploading to cloud. So it could be a useful feature. I would just caution that Google's CEO has made statements about people shouldn't need to hide anything, if I remember correctly.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    @BBooDoc:

That is FANTASTIC. That's exactly what I was looking for. Email me: sirataxero(at)gmail.com and we can begin talking about formulas/methods of EGA/EDD automation, etc.

If the original idea is literally a list of moms with these specific stats, I'm pretty sure I can draw that up RELATIVELY easily... Now it may take me a while tbh, but I would love to do something like this.

Thanks for the idea and the feedback. I look forward to working with you to get this thing off the ground!

Also: If anyone else has some suggestions for info fields they want to see added, please feel free to email me or post in this thread. I'm subscribed so I'll catch it instantly. Keep the suggestions coming for the primary iteration of this app. As of right now, I'll begin working on the version BBooDoc has suggested, so for now I'm open to additional fields you guys would like to add to this. If there's other ideas or features, start keeping a list of them and lets keep track of them, but I can't promise adding them in ASAP...
    email sent, with some EDD/EGA calculator method ideas... hopefully Java code is already out there somewhere.

thanks!
    EDD, EGA are already in MediPDA and I'd be happy to share the coding/calc in JSJSJS.
    EDD Code (by Janni Kovacs, I take no credit)

Code:
    		this.controller.setupWidget("datePicker", {
    			label: " "
    		}, this.dateModel = { date: new Date()});
    		this.textModel = {
    			due: "",
    			concept: "",
    			disabled: true
    		};
    		this.controller.setupWidget("gestationalAge", { modelProperty: "age"}, this.textModel);
    		this.controller.setupWidget("dueDate", { modelProperty: "due" }, this.textModel);
    		this.controller.setupWidget("conceptDate", { modelProperty: "concept" }, this.textModel);

this.controller.listen("datePicker", Mojo.Event.propertyChange, this.calculate.bindAsEventListener(this));
    	},

calculate: function() {
    		var lmp = this.dateModel.date;
    		var today = new Date();

if (lmp > today) {
    			return ("Oops. The LMP shouldn't be after today. Did you enter the year correctly?");
    		}

var edd = new Date(lmp.getTime() + 40 * 7 * 24 * 60 * 60 * 1000);

edd = edd.toLocaleDateString("ddd M/d/yyyy");
    		var conception = new Date(lmp.getTime() + 14 * 24 * 60 * 60 * 1000);

conception = conception.toLocaleDateString("ddd M/d/yyyy");
    		var ega = today - lmp;
    		ega = ega / 86400000;

var weeks = parseInt(ega / 7);

if (weeks > 42) {
    			return ("Oops. The pregnancy is past 42 weeks. Is the LMP is wrong? Please check.");
    		}

var days = ega % 7;
    		days = Math.round(days);
    		var result;

if (days == 7) {
    			weeks = weeks + 1;
    			result = weeks + ' weeks exactly';
    		} else {
    			result = weeks + ' weeks and ' + days + '/7 days';
    		}

this.textModel.age = result;
    		this.textModel.due = edd;
    		this.textModel.concept = conception;
    		this.controller.modelChanged(this.textModel, this);
    		return null;
    	}
    });
    EGA code (which I modified from the above)

Code:
    		this.controller.setupWidget("datePicker", {
    			label: " "
    		}, this.dateModel = { date: new Date()});
    		this.textModel = {
    			last: "",
    			concept: "",
    			disabled: true
    		};
    		this.controller.setupWidget("gestationalAge", { modelProperty: "age"}, this.textModel);
    		this.controller.setupWidget("lastDate", { modelProperty: "last" }, this.textModel);
    		this.controller.setupWidget("conceptDate", { modelProperty: "concept" }, this.textModel);

this.controller.listen("datePicker", Mojo.Event.propertyChange, this.calculate.bindAsEventListener(this));
    	},

calculate: function() {
    		var edd = this.dateModel.date;
    		var today = new Date();

if (edd < today) {
    			return ("Oops. The EDD shouldn't be before today. Did you enter the date correctly?");
    		}

var lmp = new Date(edd.getTime() - (40 * 7 * 24 * 60 * 60 * 1000));
    		var conception = new Date(lmp.getTime() + (14 * 24 * 60 * 60 * 1000));
    		conception = conception.toLocaleDateString("ddd M/d/yyyy");
    		var ega = today - lmp;
    		ega = ega / 86400000;
    		if (ega < 1) {
    			return ("Oops the fetus cannot have a negative age. Is the EDD wrong? Please check.");
    		}

var weeks = parseInt(ega / 7);

if (weeks > 42) {
    			return ("Oops. The pregnancy is past 42 weeks. Is the EDD is wrong? Please check.");
    		}

var days = ega % 7;
    		days = Math.round(days);
    		var result;

if (days == 7) {
    			weeks = weeks + 1;
    			result = weeks + ' weeks exactly';
    		} else {
    			result = weeks + ' weeks and ' + days + '/7 days';
    		}

lmp = lmp.toLocaleDateString("ddd M/d/yyyy");
    	    this.textModel.age = result;
    		this.textModel.last = lmp;
    		this.textModel.concept = conception;
    		this.controller.modelChanged(this.textModel, this);
    		return null;
    	}
    });
    With Ares, the widget setup is all automatic so one only has to worry about the Javascript calculation and some Mojo calls.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    EDD Code (by Janni Kovacs, I take no credit)

EGA code (which I modified from the above)

With Ares, the widget setup is all automatic so one only has to worry about the Javascript calculation and some Mojo calls.
    Thanks Doc! That's great. I'll use this in my app and include the acknowledgements (for both, Janni as well as yourself) in the app.

As for the app itself, I'll hopefully begin something this weekend, time permitting, and see how far I get.

I'll keep updating this thread as to my progress/problems and such.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    thanks to both SirataXero and PalmDoc! I can't wait to see and test. I'd love to try myself, but the learning curve is steep, and I am starting to get a big backlog of office visits to dictate...

I will certainly betatest like a mad-dog though!
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    PS - Palmdoc - I love the comment about EGA >42 weeks - Let's hope those are in error, not real!

(higher risk of stillbirth after 42 weeks. In general, pregnancy should not be allowed to go past 42 weeks. I usually induce labor at 41 and a half weeks, give or take a day).
    Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    PS - Palmdoc - I love the comment about EGA >42 weeks - Let's hope those are in error, not real!

(higher risk of stillbirth after 42 weeks. In general, pregnancy should not be allowed to go past 42 weeks. I usually induce labor at 41 and a half weeks, give or take a day).
    Much higher risk of meconium aspiration and PPHN as well. We have a fairly active ECMO service in our NICU and some of the post term babies end up sicker than the 24-26 week premies.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast