Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    While WebOS has great productivity and business/personal apps, I feel like it's really missing a lot of the "Gee Whiz" apps we see on other platforms. That is, the apps that make you think "Wow! I'd never thought of that". Some examples:

Shazaam -- analyze a song and tell you who it is by
    Google Goggles -- Take a pictures of something, and get a list of google search results.
    Yelp Monocle -- an AR-style overlay of yelp reviews on the camera live-view.
    Bar Code Scanner -- take a picture of a bar code and get online shopping results
    Guitar Tuner / Chord Finder -- Shows fingering for guitar chords (and plays the chord for you to hear what it sounds like), also uses the microphone to provide tuning with visual feedback.

There are many others. I'm aware that the limitations (other than developer effort) are in the WebOS SDK which doesn't allow access to the microphone (or camera?). This is becoming a very annoying excuse.

---------------------

WebOS does have a few WOW factor apps IMHO, such as:

Grooveshark -- search and play any song on demand.
    LED Flashlight patch -- "oh yeah I've seen these stupid flashlight apps before...whoa! that's an actual flashlight!"
    Bubble Level -- it's a level.
    MyTether -- turn your phone into a WiFi access point.
    Geotasks / Geostrings -- give a notification/reminder when you arrive near a desired place.

--------------------

Again, my point here is not so much just useful apps. I can't live without DrPodder, pMuni, SportsCalendar, etc. But those are all things that just make easy some other, existing service. They aren't really creating a new concept.
    well,,i have seen several guitar tuneing apps,,as for everyhing else you metion,,i would have no use for any of that stuff.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    well,,i have seen several guitar tuneing apps,,as for everyhing else you metion,,i would have no use for any of that stuff.
    Just to clarify:

The several tuning apps currently for the pre are all the same. They just play a note for you to tune to (like a pitch pipe). They don't actively tune like a store-bought guitar tuner.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Maybe the WOW Apps are coming later on down the line but I'm sure more will be available once the Flash App is up and running.

I would like to see the an APP that turns on/off my home lights when I'm gone and an APP for watching movies online.